06-21-2012, 10:49 AM
User Info
As I stated before on the "Monthly Haul thread", I received yesterday a very curious slant razor. It is entirely made in Bakelite (or some sort of similar material), and is currently being sold by a member of the Italian ebay in large quantities.

[Image: P1060381.jpg]

This slant razor has received some attention recently in several international forums. Despite being almost entirely made of plastic, and despite its "toy-ish" look, it has received some glowing reviews lately, as being a terribly effective, yet extremely smooth shaver.

This razor has already been extensively discussed in the German forum (Gut-Rasiert). Although no-one can be sure of its origin, the general consensus among those knowledgeable guys is that this razor seems to have been produced somewhere in the 60's/70's, or maybe a little after that.

There's even a member from one of the Spanish forums (afeitadoclasico.com) that conducted some chemical experiments to the plastic/material. Although no definitive conclusion could be obtained for now, his first conclusions point for a type of plastic very common among European makers during the 60's/70's/80's. He was so convinced by his experiments that immediately ordered two more units!

One thing seems to be certain, this is not something produced yesterday in some sort of Chinese factory.

[Image: P1060383.jpg]

The razor seems to be well built, although the finishing could be better (some "casting marks" inside the head) but nothing serious , and it certainly doesn't affect the shave. The cute little box is definitely a nice touch.

[Image: P1060384.jpg]

As this is a Made in Germany razor, and most probably not a Merkur, this has become affectionately known in the Iberian shaving forums as the "Merkel slant razor". Laughing1 I tried to capture the "Made in Germany" detail at the bottom of the handle, not a great photo, but oh well...

[Image: 10914496ao.jpg]

Our fellow member Alex (a.k.a. SLB04) took some photos of the razor, comparing it to a Bakelite Merkur 45c razor. As you can see, it even features a metallic thread in the handle, something that not even the Merkur features. This slant weights 17g, as opposed to the 15g of the Merkur 45c.

The price seems right also - for less than a Merkur 45c, you get one nice slant razor (or even two) with a fancy presentation box. Seems like a nice deal to me!

Photos by Alex (SLB04), and credits to him:
[Image: 10771490zg.jpg]

[Image: 10771504hl.jpg]

The auctions have a "buy it now" price, and for now they seem to be available in large quantities, so I think that there is no problem in posting them here. Check here. However, the best deal seems to be this one. Two nice slant razors, one of them in a nice box, for less than what you would pay for a Merkur 45c.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation whatsoever with the vendor, besides the one of being a well satisfied customer. And yes, I paid for this razor - and I've already ordered (and paid) a couple more!

2 5,527
 06-21-2012, 11:14 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
I liked the look of it so much (as a curio) that I jumped in and bought one too. I wonder how many the membership here will end up jointly owning.

1 290
 06-21-2012, 11:57 AM
User Info
 06-21-2012, 01:22 PM
User Info
Thanks Emanuel. Just what I needed. 2 more razors. Facepalm

Seriously, I do appreciate your 'heads-up'. I'm really looking forward to trying this razor. I have a rather stout beard and pretty much all I use anymore are OCs or fairly aggressive settings on adjustables. If nothing else, the price is great and shipping for the extra is free.

Very nice. Thumbup

2 546
 06-21-2012, 01:48 PM
User Info
thanks for the links and photos, Emanuel. I'm pretty sure this is the same razor that bowlturner sent me the other day to try. I've yet to try it..maybe in the next week or so.

40 5,830
 06-22-2012, 02:05 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
(06-21-2012, 11:57 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: Blank
Johnny9: should be right up your street. It is a slant, after all ...

1 290
 06-22-2012, 03:06 AM
User Info
Wow -- thanks for posting this.

I'm currently seeking out the ideal slant bar. This, and perhaps a modern Merkur 37C, should fit the bill.

0 214
 06-22-2012, 07:48 AM
User Info
(06-22-2012, 02:05 AM)Persius Wrote:
(06-21-2012, 11:57 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: Blank
Johnny9: should be right up your street. It is a slant, after all ...

Not up my street or even neighborhood. That thing just screams China. I can see the rough edges in the photos and it doesn't look anything like bakelite. It looks like a cheap thin plastic. Feel free to buy one for yourself though. LOL

Even that low price is too much. Also, I would guess this razor is no older than 10yrs. No makers stamp or logo and the "Made In Germany" doesn't mean it was made there, assembled there perhaps, but not made there. This reminds me of those inexpensive straight razors that aren't heat treated.

Does the case have any stamps on it?

9 451
 06-22-2012, 08:02 AM
User Info
I agree with John - it doesn't look like Bakelite to me either. Plastic certainly, but not Bakelite.

Point of Origin? - Dunno. It could be Germany, Eastern Europe or China or somewhere else. Doesn't really matter to me.

Regardless, if it shaves well, then it will do. I have one coming to me, and I'll see what I think of it.

37 1,731
 06-22-2012, 08:32 AM
User Info
I'm using a PS3 on a 48" LCD TV, the PS3 has a zoom feature that allows me to get very close. What I can see is jagged edges above the shave bar and jagged edges around the edges of the shave head. This might not matter to anyone, but it matters to me. Poor finish quality to me means the things could be inconsistent. Plastic is not a good material and easily chips, cracks and breaks. For the money you certainly can't beat it, but you can buy a number of well made vintages razors that are built very well at the same price. /my 2¢

9 451
 06-22-2012, 09:42 AM
  • Hal24
  • BarbaBlanco
  • Victoria, BC, Canada
User Info
Here is a link to a few more close up photos of the unit. Click on photo to enlarge.
http://media.nassrasur.com/details.php?image_id=373
Hal

0 18
 06-22-2012, 10:09 AM
User Info
(06-22-2012, 08:32 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: ... For the money you certainly can't beat it, but you can buy a number of well made vintages razors that are built very well at the same price. /my 2¢

You are absolutely right. I've bought Brit. Aristocrats for a lot less than that at flea and antique markets. Biggrin

Nevertheless, it works. Believe it or not, it is more effective and milder than my 37c.
And I think it will be a great travel razor. I it happens to loose it, no big deal for me. I certainly don't want that to happen with my vintage razors - those ones stay at home. Cool

2 5,527
 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM
  • Hal24
  • BarbaBlanco
  • Victoria, BC, Canada
User Info
I am glad to hear it works for you. I might just go and order one/two.
Never have used a slant, would this unit be good for a trial?
Hal

0 18
 06-22-2012, 10:31 AM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
Emanuel thank you for the review. I have been watching these slants on ebay but just wasn't sure about the razor quality. It just seemed so inexpensive. I'm going to order one now.

19 414
 06-22-2012, 10:33 AM
User Info
Hal

It might be. Generally, lighter razors require a more finely honed technique to give a good shave, but since this is milder than a modern slant, perhaps it will work fine for you.

Anyway, the price is great, so there's no reason not to give it a go.

37 1,731
 06-22-2012, 10:38 AM
User Info
I believe it would, yes. Not much risk as an investment (it is quite inexpensive), and it is a mild, yet effective shaver.
I found to be almost impossible for me to cut myself with those - and yet it shaves extremely well. And that is not only my opinion, but also the opinion of many people who tried it in many other shaving forums.

Not bakelite? You can be right... maybe it's better to change the name of the thread...
However those guys in Germany know a lot about old German razors, and the main consensus between them is that this is most probably German made.

2 5,527
 06-22-2012, 11:18 AM
  • Hal24
  • BarbaBlanco
  • Victoria, BC, Canada
User Info
Thanks to all for your advise. Just ordered. I'll let you know how it goes.
Hal

0 18
 06-22-2012, 12:50 PM
User Info
Emanuel, very nice acquisition.

75 20,883
 06-22-2012, 01:05 PM
User Info
Damn -- these things are selling far too quickly.

By the time money has been transferred into my PayPal account, they'll probably all be sold. Sad

0 214
 06-22-2012, 02:01 PM
User Info
Yes! One of the ebay auctions of this same vendor.

2 5,527