07-15-2015, 01:18 AM
User Info
Hello everybody

I have been following this forum for a long time . As my knowledge of English is limited , I am also active only recently there - thanks to Google Translate.

Now it is so that it is quite cumbersome for Europeans to order products from the States . On the one hand containing alcohol products are shipped on the other hand always results in high customs duties.

As I travel in September with my girlfriend to New Orleans and after that continue driving to Miami , would inquire you if you indicate to me addresses can I find in the Shaveproducts.

Many thanks for your help

Greeting milanista

21 246
 07-15-2015, 04:44 AM
User Info
Where are you from? Milan?

Philipp

21 1,175
 07-15-2015, 04:49 AM
User Info
I am from Canada and French speaking.  Sometime I found it a bit difficult to follow a conversation but peoples here usually understand.

For shipping, I have the same problem.  When ordering from USA, we often pay customs fees and brokeage too.

A chance we have some good retailer in Canada.

Sylvain

26 149
 07-15-2015, 05:00 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(07-15-2015, 01:18 AM)milanista Wrote: Hello everybody

I have been following this forum for a long time . As my knowledge of English is limited , I am also active only recently there - thanks to Google Translate.

Now it is so that it is quite cumbersome for Europeans to order products from the States . On the one hand containing alcohol products are shipped on the other hand always results in high customs duties.

As I travel in September with my girlfriend to New Orleans and after that continue driving to Miami , would inquire you if you indicate to me addresses can I find in the Shaveproducts.

Greeting milanista

For the best price, assortment (wide variety/choices) and convenience - I would order online a week before your scheduled arrival and ship to the hotel you're staying in. I have done this before when traveling and found it very convenient. Of course, it'll be good to check with the hotel if they will accept packages/mail for you.

17 535
 07-15-2015, 08:30 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Our worldwide community should remember English speakers are seldom fluent in  other languages either.

2 3,171
 07-15-2015, 09:04 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Having products mailed to the hotel is a good idea if the hotel will except packages in advance and hold them for you.  As for as actual stores in New Orleans and Miami, both the Art of Shaving and L'Occitane have stores there.

175 23,752
 07-15-2015, 09:13 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(07-15-2015, 01:18 AM)milanista Wrote: Hello everybody

Greeting milanista

There are few actual stores for shaving products, none in Miami or New Orleans that I know of. For the largest selection of artisan soaps Maggard's Razors carries most of them . As the other member v4257 is saying you could place an order while in America and have them ship it to your hotel. Priority mail shipping within  the U.S. is 3 days, economy shipping 5-7 days. Maggards is a quick shipper .

15 541
 07-15-2015, 07:01 PM
User Info
There is ART OF SHAVING on Canal St. in New Orleans. Its a bit pricey, but pretty cool.

0 48
 07-15-2015, 07:19 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
L'Occitane: New Orleans
Canal Place
The Shops at Canal Place
333 Canal Street - Space #117
New Orleans, LA 70130
504-299-1335

L'Occitane: Miami
Lamont's #644 - Four Seasons Miami
1435 Brickell Ave
Miami, FL

The Art of Shaving - Miami
7429 Dadeland Mall - #1570
Miami, FL 33156
305-665-4233

The Art of Shaving - New Orleans
624 Canal Street
New Orleans, LA 70130
504-208-1516

175 23,752
 07-15-2015, 08:39 PM
User Info
Good job, Johnny!  Thumbup

82 21,056
 07-15-2015, 09:36 PM
User Info
Thank you all - Super !
Have I noted the address and I will inquire times at the hotel .

21 246
 07-15-2015, 10:06 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(07-15-2015, 07:01 PM)Cajunboy2k Wrote: There is ART OF SHAVING on Canal St. in New Orleans. Its a bit pricey, but pretty cool.

But what kind of selection in AOS or the Occitane stores, pretty limited I'd imagine. To me he'd do better buying from the internet vendors who sell the artisan or specifically American goods he can't get in Italy.

15 541
 07-15-2015, 10:08 PM
User Info
(07-15-2015, 10:06 PM)Hanzo Wrote:
(07-15-2015, 07:01 PM)Cajunboy2k Wrote: There is ART OF SHAVING on Canal St. in New Orleans. Its a bit pricey, but pretty cool.

But what kind of selection in AOS or the Occitane stores, pretty limited I'd imagine. To me he'd do better buying from the internet vendors who sell the artisan or specifically American goods he can't get in Italy.

While that is true, its always fun to walk in and look around, even though you don't buy anything.

0 48
 07-15-2015, 10:22 PM
User Info
I've shipped to a hotel before for more than one gent visiting the US. It's no big deal as long as the hotel will do it.

I hope you have a good visit!

32 6,445
 07-16-2015, 06:02 AM
User Info
For New Orleans, I have heard some mixed reviews for this place, but it would seem like its worth it to take a look:

http://aidangillformen.com/

They have two locations in New Orleans, 2026 Magazine St. (Garden District) and 550 Fulton St. (Central Business District)

I wish I had known about this place before we went to NO last spring.

84 1,505
 07-16-2015, 06:14 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info

I will have to remember this theory if I ever get to England or Italy.  Do not visit local shops, just order from vendors online.

175 23,752
 07-16-2015, 07:20 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(07-16-2015, 06:14 AM)Johnny Wrote:

I will have to remember this theory if I ever get to England or Italy.  Do not visit local shops, just order from vendors online.

But Johnny when a European is talking about a shave shop he has in mind places like Pasteurs or Old Town Shaving or a walk-in at West Coast Shaving or BullGoose, dedicated shaving stores with a large variety of goods not AOS, a chain store selling only the house brand.  

Too the European would want those American items he can't get at home that don't make any sense to ship and pay customs for. If Milanista spends a hundred dollars online at Maggards he gets 8-10 American made artisan soaps at one go and those are the unique shaving items a European can't get at home.

How many of us used to dream of going to London and visiting Jermyn street and maxing out the credit card. Now its not worth doing, Phil and the other vendors have killed that fantasy by bringing everything there , here. Smile

15 541
 07-16-2015, 10:35 AM
User Info
I live in Miami and there are not many options here.  The Art of Shaving has a store at Dadeland Mall, as Johnny noted.  Their selection of razors and brushes is limited and overpriced.  Their creams, soaps and after shave products are good, but all they carry is their own line.  L'Occitane has several stores in Miami, but they also only carry their own line of cream, soaps, and after shave products.  However, if you are driving from New Orleans to Miami, you will be going by Jacksonville.  The Superior Shave, one of the best online vendors and a member here, is in Jacksonville.  Moreover, The Superior Shave just opened a retail store in Jacksonville.  Contact Jarrod, the owner, and I'm sure he'll be glad to show you the store.

48 5,718
 07-16-2015, 10:59 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Did not know about Jarrod's new store.  That would be a GREAT option.

175 23,752
 07-16-2015, 11:02 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(07-16-2015, 07:20 AM)Hanzo Wrote:
(07-16-2015, 06:14 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(07-15-2015, 10:06 PM)Hanzo Wrote: But what kind of selection in AOS or the Occitane stores, pretty limited I'd imagine. To me he'd do better buying from the internet vendors who sell the artisan or specifically American goods he can't get in Italy.

But Johnny when a European is talking about a shave shop he has in mind places like Pasteurs or Old Town Shaving or a walk-in at West Coast Shaving or BullGoose, dedicated shaving stores with a large variety of goods not AOS, a chain store selling only the house brand.  

Too the European would want those American items he can't get at home that don't make any sense to ship and pay customs for. If Milanista spends a hundred dollars online at Maggards he gets 8-10 American made artisan soaps at one go and those are the unique shaving items a European can't get at home.

How many of us used to dream of going to London and visiting Jermyn street and maxing out the credit card. Now its not worth doing, Phil and the other vendors have killed that fantasy by bringing everything there , here. Smile

Just giving you a hard time Hanzo.  But I will tell you this, if I ever get to the UK or Italy, I am taking an empty suitcase in to all the shave shops and loading up.

175 23,752