07-15-2015, 07:11 AM
User Info
Does anyone use essential oils with unscented shaving soaps to create a scent you like? If so, do you add the oils to the lather in a lather bowl? I am going to make my own Shea Butter cream with essential oils and figured I could add some to a good unscented soap like B&M.

13 947
 07-30-2015, 11:26 AM
User Info
You'll need to make sure the essential oils are either added just before use or the whole soap in kept in an airtight container that isn't plastic.  Essential oils are volatile and can oxidize quickly if left open and they can also eat through the plastic.  I also recommend checking into which oils you intend to use.  They have to be diluted and some can irritate sensitive skin.  E.O's like patchouli, lavender, chamomile are good gentle choices.

0 29
 07-30-2015, 02:59 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
This thread is going to be interesting. I have a chunk of Vitos red that lost its scent. It just has that tallow smell. But it still performs well. Since I had nothing to lose I threw some EOs and mixed it into the soap. I put my finger in the soap to create holes and dropped in the oils. I used lavender, lemon, orange, sandalwood, ylang ylang, jasmine. I then let the soap sit overnight . Next day I started mixing the soap and eventually pulled it out and kneeded it like dough. I smelled the soap and repeated the process until I got the desired scent. 

I have this soap in a plastic tub and this is my first time doing this. I have no experience in soap making at all. I had a soap I didn't mind ruining and my wife had the EOs hand. 

The finished product has a lemony floral scent. I can still detect the very very faint tallow smell. As it sits , the soap feels oily. I have only test lathered the soap and its feels very good. Different than it used to. The lather seems denser and more yogurty than before. Almost like Mystic Waters. It's difficult to describe but if you've used a tallow first soap like MW, Stirling etc. you know what I mean by more yogurty. 

Since its still oily, every now and then I kneed the soap. I hope the soap absorbs the oils. I think next week I will give this soap a try. I will be interested to see if it burns and if the performance has changed.(better or worse)

72 1,225
 07-30-2015, 04:03 PM
User Info
Best of luck with the 'new' soap, Gabriel!  Smile

82 21,056
 07-30-2015, 06:05 PM
User Info
Make sure to use essensial oils appropriate for soap.  Some of the essential oils used in aroma therapy may not be FDA approved.  Buy from a company that makes oils for soap.

4 465
 08-06-2015, 04:44 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Yesterday was my first shave with my EO experiment. The lather seemed slicker but its been a while since I've used Vitos. It may be just in my mind. Other than that, the lather was as expected from Vitos. It want noticeably better or worse. As for the scent, it bloomed into something lemony . I noticed a faint floral and a hint of that tallow. Not a bad scent for my first attempt.

As for the shave, I went with a mild setup. I went with the softest brush available, a Plisson synthetic and a Merkur 1904/42C. This would hopefully eliminate any irritation coming from these variables. The shave went well with no irritation or burning at all. When I reworked the lather in the bowl, the lemon scent came alive again. Tomorrow I will try face lathering and extending the time the lather is on my skin.

72 1,225
 08-06-2015, 04:49 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Today was my second shave with my EO soap experiment. I used a SOC boar and face lathered this time. The results were the same. No burning or irritation. Since this is a scrubbier brush and the time the lather was on my skin increased, I believe its safe to say this experiment went well. Again not the best scent I've ever smelled but it is an improvement to what I had before (scentless with tallow scent).

72 1,225
 08-06-2015, 11:23 AM
  • okok
  • Still smiling
  • Indianapolis
User Info
I mix all kinds of stuff in the den, and have gotten some very good results, and a few clinkers. Remember to go easy at first, to avoid damaging your skin. 

Experiment freely - have fun!

29 330
 08-06-2015, 11:27 AM
User Info
Gabriel, good to hear the experiment went well.  
Personally, I just let Michelle do the mixing as I just adore most of her scents and it works so much better than if I ever tried attempting to scent a soap.  Biggrin

82 21,056
 08-06-2015, 03:10 PM
User Info
How about a small bottle oil smelling of Baileys Coffee Cream added to a fairly neutral shaving cream?  It's also added to my ''Franken-oil' concoction.  (far too many components to list in the latter).

There are sites that fulfil your every desire...mainly catering for candle making and home made perfumes etc.  Hours of fun.

0 66
 08-06-2015, 03:49 PM
User Info
The only way I can see this working easily is if you used a small dropper each shave.

Otherwise, it would only really work with a melt and pour or melt able soap. Or a cream. Or if you really wanted to do it and put in a lot of elbow grease.

But, here's the ratios: you'll want something like 1-3% max oil to total soap weight. If you have a stand mixer or hand mixer and the soap is soft, you can do it that way too. 

Mixing issues aside, it's a great idea! You'll get the exact scent you want.

9 3,024
 08-07-2015, 11:31 PM
User Info
(08-06-2015, 03:10 PM)Dan.Nevost Wrote: How about a small bottle oil smelling of Baileys Coffee Cream added to a fairly neutral shaving cream?  It's also added to my ''Franken-oil' concoction.  (far too many components to list in the latter).

There are sites that fulfil your every desire...mainly catering for candle making and home made perfumes etc.  Hours of fun.

think that is an awesome idea.

0 29
 08-07-2015, 11:55 PM
User Info
(08-06-2015, 04:49 AM)Gabe Wrote: Today was my second shave with my EO soap experiment. I used a SOC boar and face lathered this time. The results were the same. No burning or irritation. Since this is a scrubbier brush and the time the lather was on my skin increased, I believe its safe to say this experiment went well. Again not the best scent I've ever smelled but it is an improvement to what I had before (scentless with tallow scent).

Glad to hear it worked out. Thank you for posting your entire experience.

13 947
 08-08-2015, 12:04 AM
User Info
(08-06-2015, 03:49 PM)wetshavingproducts Wrote: The only way I can see this working easily is if you used a small dropper each shave.

Otherwise, it would only really work with a melt and pour or melt able soap. Or a cream. Or if you really wanted to do it and put in a lot of elbow grease.

But, here's the ratios: you'll want something like 1-3% max oil to total soap weight. If you have a stand mixer or hand mixer and the soap is soft, you can do it that way too. 

Thank you for the tips WSP. I've decided to just make my own soap instead and ordered everything I need from some soap making wholesalers online. Tomorrow my wife and I plan to make a test batch of cold process bath soap, followed by hot process shaving soap on Sunday. I am not sure if I should be trying HP for the shaving soap over CP but I like the faster cure time for HP. I bought plenty of essential oils so I should be able to come up with a scent that I like. I am going to make a tallow/lanolin soap and a vegan soap to see which turns out better. It looks like a fun hobby. I started watching videos on making soap and figured I should give it a shot since we like natural bath soaps too.

13 947
 08-08-2015, 03:08 AM
User Info
Add them to the melted soap (given that the soap can be melted) or to the lather. I prefer adding it to a chunk of melted soap, in my mind it helps with the dispersion but I'm not stating that as fact. Currently use around 36 EO and make my own pre shave balm, post shave balm and scented soaps (but not from scratch). My current favourite concoction is green vetiver,black pepper and fresh limes (sold to member on another UK site). If wearing a suit I usually add a few drops of cedarwood to the inside of my suit collar as I love the scent and it washes out nicely as well as keeping the skin free of oils on a hot day.

0 832
 08-08-2015, 03:10 AM
User Info
(08-06-2015, 03:10 PM)Dan.Nevost Wrote: How about a small bottle oil smelling of Baileys Coffee Cream added to a fairly neutral shaving cream?  It's also added to my ''Franken-oil' concoction.  (far too many components to list in the latter).

Dan your frankenoil, was pretty good!

0 832
 08-08-2015, 03:41 AM
User Info
(08-08-2015, 03:08 AM)Nishy Wrote: Add them to the melted soap (given that the soap can be melted) or to the lather. I prefer adding it to a chunk of melted soap, in my mind it helps with the dispersion but I'm not stating that as fact. Currently use around 36 EO and make my own pre shave balm, post shave balm and scented soaps (but not from scratch). My current favourite concoction is green vetiver,black pepper and fresh limes (sold to member on another UK site). If wearing a suit I usually add a few drops of cedarwood to the inside of my suit collar as I love the scent and it washes out nicely as well as keeping the skin free of oils on a hot day. I often use the EO in accordance with glycerine (acting as a carrier) but performance of the soap can be affected, sometimes improved, I did this with the unlatherable C&E west indian limes came up a treat. with blackpepper (5ml) and glycerine (5ml) for approx. 15g of soap, scent strength and skin dependant.

0 832
 08-08-2015, 07:05 AM
User Info
(08-08-2015, 03:10 AM)Nishy Wrote:

Dan your frankenoil, was pretty good!

I admit to gaining daily pleasure from it (the sample of Franken-oil you tried didn't have the Baileys Coffee Cream smell added though)... :-)

....BUt for the benefit of those who wouldn't be expected to know.......speaking as a recipient of your home made delights, your pre-shave is used daily here...a drop before and a drop after shaving.  Admittedly other bits and bobs are added to both the pre and the post after yours has had a chance to please my nostrils and pamper my phizzog on their own - but your stuff has  such distinctive smells.

PS. You probably read my PM on the 4th.  I'm still deliberating.   Undecided

0 66
 08-08-2015, 12:26 PM
User Info
(08-08-2015, 03:08 AM)Nishy Wrote: Add them to the melted soap (given that the soap can be melted) or to the lather. I prefer adding it to a chunk of melted soap, in my mind it helps with the dispersion but I'm not stating that as fact. Currently use around 36 EO and make my own pre shave balm, post shave balm and scented soaps (but not from scratch). My current favourite concoction is green vetiver,black pepper and fresh limes (sold to member on another UK site). If wearing a suit I usually add a few drops of cedarwood to the inside of my suit collar as I love the scent and it washes out nicely as well as keeping the skin free of oils on a hot day.

Thanks for the info. I bought Atlas Cedarwood but they offered Virginia, Texas, and Japan I think. Nice scent for sure. I'm making mine from scratch so it might take some practice before I have a usable soap.

13 947
 08-09-2015, 09:20 PM
User Info
(08-08-2015, 12:04 AM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 03:49 PM)wetshavingproducts Wrote: The only way I can see this working easily is if you used a small dropper each shave.

Thank you for the tips WSP. I've decided to just make my own soap instead and ordered everything I need from some soap making wholesalers online. Tomorrow my wife and I plan to make a test batch of cold process bath soap, followed by hot process shaving soap on Sunday. I am not sure if I should be trying HP for the shaving soap over CP but I like the faster cure time for HP. I bought plenty of essential oils so I should be able to come up with a scent that I like. I am going to make a tallow/lanolin soap and a vegan soap to see which turns out better. It looks like a fun hobby. I started watching videos on making soap and figured I should give it a shot since we like natural bath soaps too.

Good shave soap utilizes a lot of hard fats, so CP is usually out of the question, or practically speaking, the batter gets so hot anyway it's practically HP.

9 3,024