07-15-2015, 11:50 AM
User Info
Ok, I know this is a shaving forum...my "Muhle R41 can shave 4x a day" nephew has a partial beard and shaves. He's asking about beard oils. Anybody with info, please chime in.

36 892
 07-15-2015, 12:50 PM
User Info
Beard oil and balm helps keep my moustache and goatee looking presentable as well as making grooming easier. I'm using the stuff from Big Red Beard Combs myself, but I know others here at the forum use other brands with just as much success - a quick search of the forum brings up a bit of information, including a recipe for home made beard oil by C-NoEvil Smile

3 4,482
 08-06-2015, 10:35 AM
User Info
(07-15-2015, 11:50 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: Ok, I know this is a shaving forum...my "Muhle R41 can shave 4x a day" nephew has a partial beard and shaves. He's asking about beard oils. Anybody with info, please chime in.

My "Goat" is about 4 inches long now and without beard oils I would never have got it even this long. I have been making my own beard oils/wax as they can get pretty expensive. Using beard oils has numerous benefits:
1. Keeps the beard conditioned so that they dont feel like pubic hair so much.
2. Provides control (depending on what is used in the formula).
3. Helps keep the skin under the beard conditioned and in good shape.
4. Can be, and usually are, scented.
I cannot recomend enough the use of conditioning oils for the beard.
Some are better than others and he probably needs to do a little research to see what would benefit him the most. I like oils such as: avocado, grapeseed, almond, jojoba, emu, coconut, hemp etc. I then experiment with different essential oils to find aromas and EO benefits to suit my skin type. 
Feel free to contact me for more info.

0 7
 08-06-2015, 10:45 AM
User Info
Hair is hair. Dedicated "beard" oil is just marketing and more likely than not a rip off like "face blotting paper." Use leave in hair conditioner which can be bought in the "ethnic" hair care section of a store. An example is ORS Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion. First ingredients: water, coconut oil, castor oil, safflower oil, petrolatum.

18 713
 08-06-2015, 11:05 AM
User Info
(08-06-2015, 10:45 AM)fram773 Wrote: I'm sure you've noticed when you look in the mirror...the hair which makes up your beard looks and feels different than the hair on your head.  There is a very good reason for this...simply put they are not the same type of hair.  
Your body hair is also called Androgenic hair.  It is very different from the hair on your head and vellus hair, which are much finer and lighter in color.  Androgenic hair is very much associated with levels of male hormones in your system.  Because of this, typically men have more androgenic hair than women.  Also, your beard hair tends to me much thicker and have a courser texture than the hair on your head.  In addition, the growth cycles between active growth and dormancy of facial hair are much further apart.  This is why your beard hair will never grow as fast or long as your head hair.
Now that we've established a biological difference between your head and facial hair it is important to remember to NOT treat them the same.  For instance, don't use head hair shampoo and conditioner on your beard as it tends to strip your natural oils and leaves a waxy build up.  Keeping your beard moisturized with a premium quality beard oil is essential to beard health.

0 7
 08-06-2015, 11:09 AM
User Info
(08-06-2015, 10:45 AM)fram773 Wrote: Hair is hair. Dedicated "beard" oil is just marketing and more likely than not a rip off like "face blotting paper." Use leave in hair conditioner which can be bought in the "ethnic" hair care section of a store. An example is ORS Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion. First ingredients: water, coconut oil, castor oil, safflower oil, petrolatum.

I would also note that using "petrolatum" on your face is risky business for two reasons:
1. It is a petroleum product and by its very nature is flamable.
2. IT IS A PETROLEUM PRODUCT! Most people may not care and in fact there may be no verifiable evidence of any health issues with using vaseline on your face. I, however, would not do so. Part of the reason I got into wet shaving was to avoid using mass produced products with questionable ingredients but, to each his own.

0 7
 08-06-2015, 11:59 AM
User Info
(08-06-2015, 11:05 AM)Rosscoinc1 Wrote: I'm sure you've noticed when you look in the mirror...the hair which makes up your beard looks and feels different than the hair on your head.  There is a very good reason for this...simply put they are not the same type of hair.  
Your body hair is also called Androgenic hair.  It is very different from the hair on your head and vellus hair, which are much finer and lighter in color.  Androgenic hair is very much associated with levels of male hormones in your system.  Because of this, typically men have more androgenic hair than women.  Also, your beard hair tends to me much thicker and have a courser texture than the hair on your head.  In addition, the growth cycles between active growth and dormancy of facial hair are much further apart.  This is why your beard hair will never grow as fast or long as your head hair.
Now that we've established a biological difference between your head and facial hair it is important to remember to NOT treat them the same.  For instance, don't use head hair shampoo and conditioner on your beard as it tends to strip your natural oils and leaves a waxy build up.  Keeping your beard moisturized with a premium quality beard oil is essential to beard health.

It still is hair. I don't know why it would be conditioning to scalp hair and take a 180 degree turn upon beard hair. The scalp textures between different people are more different (Asian hair vs African vs Caucasian vs Jewish) than the variations of hair on a specific individual. Regardless the first ingredients are some of the same ingredients you mentioned ie. coconut oil

I really doubt many Jewish Rabbis and Muslim Sheikhs use hipster/metrosexual "premium quality beard oil."
(08-06-2015, 11:09 AM)Rosscoinc1 Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 10:45 AM)fram773 Wrote: Hair is hair. Dedicated "beard" oil is just marketing and more likely than not a rip off like "face blotting paper." Use leave in hair conditioner which can be bought in the "ethnic" hair care section of a store. An example is ORS Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion. First ingredients: water, coconut oil, castor oil, safflower oil, petrolatum.

I would also note that using "petrolatum" on your face is risky business for two reasons:
2. IT IS A PETROLEUM PRODUCT! Most people may not care and in fact there may be no verifiable evidence of any health issues with using vaseline on your face. I, however, would not do so. Part of the reason I got into wet shaving was to avoid using mass produced products with questionable ingredients but, to each his own.
You're completely right that there is no verifiable evidence of using petrolatum (vaseline) on your face is harmful. So why would you contradict your statement immediately after and call it "questionable?" Petrolatum is found everywhere: chapstick, lotion, makeup, sunscreen, for example. All in concentrations much lower than Vaseline. The truth is that myths about it being harmful are just ploys by smaller companies trying to find a niche to sell their product.

I think you mean inflammable. "Flammable" is not a word. Hair by its very nature is inflammable.

18 713
 08-06-2015, 01:12 PM
User Info
(08-06-2015, 11:59 AM)fram773 Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 11:05 AM)Rosscoinc1 Wrote: I'm sure you've noticed when you look in the mirror...the hair which makes up your beard looks and feels different than the hair on your head.  There is a very good reason for this...simply put they are not the same type of hair.  

It still is hair. I don't know why it would be conditioning to scalp hair and take a 180 degree turn upon beard hair. The scalp textures between different people are more different (Asian hair vs African vs Caucasian vs Jewish) than the variations of hair on a specific individual. Regardless the first ingredients are some of the same ingredients you mentioned ie. coconut oil

I really doubt many Jewish Rabbis and Muslim Sheikhs use hipster/metrosexual "premium quality beard oil."

(08-06-2015, 11:09 AM)Rosscoinc1 Wrote:

You're completely right that there is no verifiable evidence of using petrolatum (vaseline) on your face is harmful. So why would you contradict your statement immediately after and call it "questionable?" Petrolatum is found everywhere: chapstick, lotion, makeup, sunscreen, for example. All in concentrations much lower than Vaseline. The truth is that myths about it being harmful are just ploys by smaller companies trying to find a niche to sell their product.

I think you need inflammable. "Flammable" is not a word. Hair by its very nature is inflammable.

I guess the thousands of men using it must be wrong then and you know better than they...like I said...to each his own.

0 7
 08-06-2015, 01:47 PM
User Info
(08-06-2015, 01:12 PM)Rosscoinc1 Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 11:59 AM)fram773 Wrote:

(08-06-2015, 11:09 AM)Rosscoinc1 Wrote: I would also note that using "petrolatum" on your face is risky business for two reasons:

I think you need inflammable. "Flammable" is not a word. Hair by its very nature is inflammable.

I guess the thousands of men using it must be wrong then and you know better than they...like I said...to each his own.

I never said that. I am leaning to both working. Obviously, one carries a price premium. I never said beard oil doesn't work, just that it is overpriced when there is something else that does the same thing. I am defending my choice in using scalp-hair conditioner on the beard, which you implied couldn't work and I had to pay extra for designated "beard oil."

18 713
 08-06-2015, 03:52 PM
User Info
All I know about beard oil is what my testers have told me. They say it should be light and easily absorbed. The purpose is to mostly prevent beard druff and keep it tamed. I'm told it works better than conditioner because it's easily absorbed and doesn't need to be washed out.

Beard Balm does a similar thing, but it also helps style the beard, like a leave in conditioner.

I think they also use pomades.

9 3,036