07-16-2015, 12:00 AM
User Info
Inspired by this thread, and quote myself from a post I made here at the 'Nook:
Quote:If the brush whips up a good lather and it feels okay on your skin, then it's a good enough brush in my book - a more expensive brush will feel better / last longer / look better, but it won't shave better.
With that in mind, here is my current brush collection minus my travel brush* and shaving-at-work brush** (open the pics in a new tab to make them bigger)). None of these are budget breakers, and all of them makes great lather and feels great-to-good on my face.

[Image: IMG_0556.JPG]
 As they sit on my shaving shelf - the tray is just to help organise them.

[Image: IMG_0558.JPG]
Spread out for  easy viewing

[Image: IMG_0559.JPG]
Semogue "The Shave Nook 2012 Limited Edition" mixed boar-badger

[Image: IMG_0560.JPG]
 Vie-Long #12705B natural white pure horse

[Image: IMG_0561.JPG]
 Turkish No6 'horse hair'

[Image: IMG_0562.JPG]
 Omega #10048 boar bristle

[Image: IMG_0563.JPG]
 Turkish No7 'horse hair'

[Image: IMG_0564.JPG]
 Wilkinson Sword Badger

[Image: IMG_0565.JPG]
 Vie-Long #13051M unbleached pure horse

[Image: IMG_0566.JPG]
Vie-Long #14033 mixed horse-badger

/Edit: extended typo

*) A lovely Omega 50014 boar
**) An okayish Body Shop synthetic

3 4,511
 07-16-2015, 12:12 AM
User Info
Nice collection.  Thanks for sharing.

61 3,796
 07-16-2015, 12:22 AM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
A very nice collection.

0 403
 07-16-2015, 04:58 AM
User Info
Very cool collection! May i ask do you notice any difference between the brown and white horse bristle? Also which brush is your favorite? And one last question; how do you favor the mixed bristle brushes compared to the ones that are the same material? Again awesome collection.

0 54
 07-16-2015, 05:15 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
Very nice.  While my preference in my collection are my nicer badger brushes, I do enjoy the Vie Long (Similar to your #12705B except with dark hair) and the Omega #10048.  I own both and the both really whip up the lather.  In many cases, they outperform many of my very high end brushes.  

61 507
 07-16-2015, 05:15 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Nice Collection! Out of the horse SB's which one do you prefer the bleached or unbleached version? Is one softer than the other?

10 963
 07-16-2015, 05:19 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
......i, too, tend to gravitate to more inexpensive brushes............
.............i cannot bring myself to spending a lot on a brush..........
....... the chubby brush has been calling my name for a long time............. but ouch!... ............. the price!.................

46 1,066
 07-16-2015, 05:42 AM
User Info
I too get sticker shock looking at the high-end brushes. "High end" for me as it stands is the Simpson's Berkeley 46!
I enjoyed seeing this array. One of these times I'd like to try a horse. I have my eye on the Vie-Long Pony, which is less than $20.

8 917
 07-16-2015, 06:05 AM
User Info
(07-16-2015, 04:58 AM)Vielongfomobrushes Wrote: Very cool collection! May i ask do you notice any difference between the brown and white horse bristle? Also which brush is your favorite? And one last question; how do you favor the mixed bristle brushes compared to the ones that are the same material? Again awesome collection.

Thank you Biggrin

The pure white is marginally softer than the pure tan - but the difference is barely noticeable, and only when I rub them both on my face at the same time Tongue

Picking a favourite is hard, since they all have good and less good sides to their personality... if I had to pick one it will probably be the TSN LE 2012, since it's the jack of all trades among my brushes.

The mixed horse-badger blends the qualities of the badger and the horse, in that it is softer but lacking backbone. The mixed badger-boar do the same - stiffer than a pure badger but softer than a boar. What I would love to see is an affordable horse-boar; I think that combo would be quite interesting once the boar is broken in.

I get sticker shock from the high end brushes as well... part of it is that I decided when I got into traditional wetshaving not to spend more in a month that I would on canned goo and carts. A fair number of the badgers I've drooled over would kill that budget five or six times over...

3 4,511
 07-16-2015, 06:12 AM
User Info
Very nice, Hans! You definitely have more will-power than I! I succumbed quite early and quickly to the more luxurious badger brushes.  Shy

83 21,081
 07-16-2015, 06:23 AM
User Info
Very nice collection!

0 12
 07-16-2015, 06:38 AM
User Info
I feared I had begun a very expensive journey after I bought my first Simpson badger brush and realized how much better it preformed than the cheap brush I first purchased.  Then came the Plisson, which cost less and performs better for my preference. I still love my Simpson of course, but I tend to prefer the synthetic. It turns out you don't have to spend a lot to get a good brush. It is still nice to own a few high end badgers though.

13 947
 07-16-2015, 06:48 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I agree with all of the above- nice collection! I do have some higher end stuff but to be honest I take a lot of overall pleasure in finding the ultimate "value" gear and putting it to good use.

We share similar brushes in Omega [Proraso for me], Semogue [1305 for me] and Vie-Long [Epsilon for me] that represent some of the best values available IMHO.

I also have a Van der Hagen boar brush that was my first ever, 10+ years old and the thing is a beast performance wise.

So many great tools available that don't break the bank but perform well- thanks for sharing your collection Hans!

2 1,180
 07-16-2015, 06:50 AM
User Info
That's the beauty of this lifestyle, you can find excellent products for good prices, and still achieve that heavenly shave.

61 3,796
 07-16-2015, 06:57 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
One of my favorite shaving brushes is also one of my least expensive. I purchased it off someone who said it was shedder, but it has not shred one hair since I've owned it. Now, I do greatly appreciate those who are truly connoisseurs of fine shaving brushed (e.g. Ben74) but I'm not at their level of knowledge nor their financial commitment to shaving brushes.

13 611
 07-16-2015, 10:03 PM
User Info
I must admit right up front that despite telling myself that I was getting into blade shaving to save money that only lasted for less than a year. But my desire to stick with lower priced brushes lasted a bit longer before giving in to the desire for more expensive brushes. But my appetite for really expensive brushes just isn't there and never was.

OK, what I found out was that the less expensive brushes make every bit as good lather as the higher priced brushes. It's the face feel that is different. It's not better or worse, it's different. I'm a shaver who enjoys variety and I use boars, horse, synthetic, and badger brushes all in their turn. I could use any one of those and not miss the others. I have a $.50 Chinese boar that I bought 130 of at a salvage goods store and it is every bit as good as a much more expensive boar. I suppose my point is that one doesn't need to spend a lot to get a great shave.

I have not found the same with shaving software. But that's me and my skin.

32 6,460
 07-16-2015, 11:18 PM
User Info
(07-16-2015, 10:03 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I suppose my point is that one doesn't need to spend a lot to get a great shave.

I have not found the same with shaving software. But that's me and my skin.

Make that two of us Brian - whereas great razors can be had cheap (some of them last more than a hundred years Tongue ) and inexpensive brushes makes awesome lather, you just can't skimp on the soaps and aftershave. Thankfully there is plenty of affordable* soaps and aftershaves from both artisan and companies that makes for great shaving Biggrin

*) YMMV off course - for me they are affordable within my self-imposed budget

3 4,511