07-16-2015, 02:17 PM
  • gclyn
  • Markham, Ontario, Canada
User Info
I just got my order from Stirling.  Just wanted to let whomever is on the fence about some of the scents what to expect.

Ice Pineapple = cool feeling on the face and smells just like pineapple (golden, sweet).

Lime Soap = smells like a freshly cut lime, but not very overpowering, but not mild either.  Medium scent that feels very refreshing.

Black Cherry Soap = what can I say, I love black cherry flavoured things.  This smells exactly like black cherry flavoured drinks.  Very good scent as well.

I have not tried them yet, but will let you know when I do....I'm sure they are just as good as all the other Stirling Soaps.

0 26
 07-16-2015, 05:31 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review.  I have been thinking about getting the black cherry or ice pineapple.

13 947
 07-17-2015, 06:03 AM
  • gclyn
User Info
I just used the Black Cherry last night.  The scent is just as wonderful on the face as on the puck.  It's quite a fun aroma to use.  The soap is fantastic though and lathers quite easily.  I bloomed the soap first though.  The soap provides great protection and is very slick.  After each pass of the razor, you can still feel some "slipperiness" to the skin.

I found the soap to be very comforting.  I think I may have found a permanent soap brand in Stirling.

One thing I did notice, the soap is much softer than say, my D.H. Harris or Wool Fat soap.  I put a finger indentation in it when I was opening the package.

0 26
 07-18-2015, 10:34 AM
User Info
ive manage to grab sample packs a couple weeks back. the spearmint glacial is quite something! face freezing with a nice kool minty scent. slick lather compared to other soaps i've tried. if you like earthy smells, i recommend ozark mountain. sharped dressed man is wonderful also.

31 739
 07-20-2015, 04:46 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I just received my shipment and have immediately put Lime and Arctic Margarita in the rotation with Sharp-Dressed Man.

I'm really looking forward to their newest scent, Salmon Almond Fudge. Cool

1 796
 07-21-2015, 08:51 AM
User Info
Tuscany is my favorite scent, every scent I've bought (about 15 of them) are pleasant and I have liked with the exception of Texas on fire.  eghhh some say it grows on you, but at first smell i didnt care to give it the chance and find out.  All in all a GREAT company I highly recommend if you haven't tried them yet.

79 824
 07-21-2015, 09:24 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
The best aspect of Stirling Soaps is that if you dislike anything about their products—just tell Mandy or Rod. They work with your concerns and will tell you if others share the same concerns. Great people!

13 626
 07-21-2015, 11:58 AM
User Info
Of the ones I've tried here are my rankings by scent:

1. Ozark Mountain - Like a freshly cut evergreen tree with slight undertones of spice.  It surprised me at first as I've never used a coniferous type scent before, but has grown on me to become my favorite.
2. Barbershop - A very unique barbershop scent, to me it smells sweet and sugary unlike most barbershop scents.  Unfortunately it burns my face.
3. Spice - The soap is very close to the original Shulton Old Spice scent, the after shave lotion is a dead ringer.  This one also slightly burns my face, but it's tolerable.
4. Margaritas in the Arctic - A very refreshing and sweet lime margarita.  This is the first menthol soap I've used, I enjoy the scent and the cooling, but not sure I could use it daily.
5. Executive Man - Supposed to be a Creed Aventus knock off, I don't know about that but it is a pleasant cologne type scent.  Kind of fruity and light/airy quality to it.  Reminds me slightly of Soap Commander Courage.  Still haven't tried it during a shave yet, I'm hoping it doesn't burn like SDM.
6. Sharp Dressed Man - Another cologne type scent, a little darker and more pungent than Executive Man.  Supposed to be a Green Irish Tweed clone.  This burned my face the most.
7. Vanilla Sandalwood - This is a pleasant scent, but not my thing.  To me it smells like a candle.  This is one of my wife's favorites of the bunch.  I haven't used it in a shave.
8. Bay Rum - I don't think I'm a bay rum guy.  This one in particular is very heavy on the clove.  I haven't used it in a shave, nor do I plan to.

I also received bath soap samples of Pig Trail and Ben Franklin.

Pig Trail - A coniferous based scent, but more earthy than Ozark Mountain.  It makes me think of dried pine needles laying on the ground of the forest as opposed to the fresh mountain breeze of Ozark Mountain.
Ben Franklin - I'm confused about this one.  It is undoubtedly heavy on clove and I would also say black pepper and nutmeg maybe.  People say it smells like root beer, but I don't get that from it.  It is not as pungent as Bay Rum, but to me it is still not a very "pleasing" scent to my nose.  However, I find it intoxicating and I enjoyed using it in the shower as a face wash.

10 407
 07-22-2015, 12:24 PM
  • gclyn
User Info
I have now used the Pineapple cream and the Lime soap.  I can tell you that they perform just as well as the Black Cherry I tried first (not too sure why they would not anyway).  For those wondering about the scent...

The Pineapple smells like golden sweet pineapples, or dehydrated pineapples.  It is a very sweet scent that lasts as long as the lather is on the face.

The Lime is less strong in scent, but one can still smell it while the lather is on the face...it is a very "refreshing" feeling...again, the scent smells like a freshly cut lime.

0 26
 07-22-2015, 12:55 PM
User Info
My favorite is definitely Tuscany, though I do want to try Executive Man and South Padre.

16 1,027
 07-22-2015, 06:00 PM
User Info
(07-21-2015, 11:58 AM)molon_labe Wrote: Ben Franklin - I'm confused about this one.  It is undoubtedly heavy on clove and I would also say black pepper and nutmeg maybe.  People say it smells like root beer, but I don't get that from it.  It is not as pungent as Bay Rum, but to me it is still not a very "pleasing" scent to my nose.  However, I find it intoxicating and I enjoyed using it in the shower as a face wash.

I to am at a loss on how to describe this smell.  Actually reminds me of fresh cut wood at times then I pick up other scents but not sure what those are.

Either way I like it and use it in my rotation.

4 475
 07-22-2015, 11:39 PM
User Info
(07-21-2015, 11:58 AM)molon_labe Wrote: Of the ones I've tried here are my rankings by scent:

1. Ozark Mountain - Like a freshly cut evergreen tree with slight undertones of spice.  It surprised me at first as I've never used a coniferous type scent before, but has grown on me to become my favorite.
2. Barbershop - A very unique barbershop scent, to me it smells sweet and sugary unlike most barbershop scents.  Unfortunately it burns my face.
3. Spice - The soap is very close to the original Shulton Old Spice scent, the after shave lotion is a dead ringer.  This one also slightly burns my face, but it's tolerable.
4. Margaritas in the Arctic - A very refreshing and sweet lime margarita.  This is the first menthol soap I've used, I enjoy the scent and the cooling, but not sure I could use it daily.
5. Executive Man - Supposed to be a Creed Aventus knock off, I don't know about that but it is a pleasant cologne type scent.  Kind of fruity and light/airy quality to it.  Reminds me slightly of Soap Commander Courage.  Still haven't tried it during a shave yet, I'm hoping it doesn't burn like SDM.
6. Sharp Dressed Man - Another cologne type scent, a little darker and more pungent than Executive Man.  Supposed to be a Green Irish Tweed clone.  This burned my face the most.
7. Vanilla Sandalwood - This is a pleasant scent, but not my thing.  To me it smells like a candle.  This is one of my wife's favorites of the bunch.  I haven't used it in a shave.
8. Bay Rum - I don't think I'm a bay rum guy.  This one in particular is very heavy on the clove.  I haven't used it in a shave, nor do I plan to.

Pig Trail - A coniferous based scent, but more earthy than Ozark Mountain.  It makes me think of dried pine needles laying on the ground of the forest as opposed to the fresh mountain breeze of Ozark Mountain.
Ben Franklin - I'm confused about this one.  It is undoubtedly heavy on clove and I would also say black pepper and nutmeg maybe.  People say it smells like root beer, but I don't get that from it.  It is not as pungent as Bay Rum, but to me it is still not a very "pleasing" scent to my nose.  However, I find it intoxicating and I enjoyed using it in the shower as a face wash.
ic im not the only one that enjoys the smell of ozark mountain! Thumbup

31 739
 07-24-2015, 06:10 AM
User Info
(07-22-2015, 11:39 PM)llalm Wrote:
(07-21-2015, 11:58 AM)molon_labe Wrote: Of the ones I've tried here are my rankings by scent:

ic im not the only one that enjoys the smell of ozark mountain! Thumbup

I've got a full tub on the way to me from Stirling.  Also gonna give some of their AS splashes a try.  Alcohol based splashes usually dry my face, but I like the ingredient list in the Stirlings so it can't hurt to try a sample pack for $10.  I tried the post shave balm but it leaves my skin looking oily.  Yeah, I know I'm needy Biggrin

10 407
 08-03-2015, 05:10 PM
User Info
I came back to Stirling after my first order of Sharp Dressed Man soap & splash and Electric Sheep soap. I was disappointed with those on that first order. The soaps were musty, off putting even. Honestly smelled as if the tallow mix wasn't right and they went bad. The SDM splash was sharp, didn't work for me. They were slick soaps with nice post shave though, so I knew I'd probably try again.

Now, about 3 months later, I was drawn in by Island Man. Unfortunately the shave soap was sold out but the splash and bath soap were still in stock. Threw in a tub and balm of Ozark and one of the Stirling brushes. Let's see if there is any funk this time

Package came today on a very hot day. That had me concerned but the soap was totally fine and smells great. I shaved tonight with a sample of Coconut Lime and finished with the Island Man splash. A heavenly summer shave! Stirling is moving towards the top my list after this second order. Very happy!

55 923
 08-03-2015, 05:35 PM
User Info
Ozark Mountains is the greatest smelling soap ever made (to me). Absolutely amazing, and it whips up a great lather

0 517
 08-03-2015, 05:36 PM
User Info
(08-03-2015, 05:35 PM)DamnitGoose Wrote: Ozark Mountains is the greatest smelling soap ever made (to me). Absolutely amazing, and it whips up a great lather

I'm trying to nail down what it reminds me of. I really like it, and it is insanely familiar, just haven't figured it out yetSmile

55 923
 08-03-2015, 05:36 PM
User Info
Stirling is solidly in my top three now that the 'funk' issue has been addressed and rectified.  The thick creamy lather is easier to achieve now too which is an added bonus!  Really great stuff IMO and the price is exceptional.

83 423
 08-03-2015, 05:39 PM
User Info
(08-03-2015, 05:36 PM)w_mcnabb Wrote: Stirling is solidly in my top three now that the 'funk' issue has been addressed and rectified.  The thick creamy lather is easier to achieve now too which is an added bonus!  Really great stuff IMO and the price is exceptional.

I saw the comment about supplier issues, I guess it wasn't in my head about the funk. Really glad I tried again. I knew my sniffer couldn't be that far off!

55 923
 08-03-2015, 05:39 PM
User Info
(08-03-2015, 05:10 PM)buickrob Wrote: I came back to Stirling after my first order of Sharp Dressed Man soap & splash and Electric Sheep soap.  I was disappointed with those on that first order.  The soaps were musty, off putting even.  Honestly smelled as if the tallow mix wasn't right and they went bad.  The SDM splash was sharp, didn't work for me.  They were slick soaps with nice post shave though, so I knew I'd probably try again.

Now, about 3 months later, I was drawn in by Island Man.  Unfortunately the shave soap was sold out but the splash and bath soap were still in stock.  Threw in a tub and balm of Ozark and one of the Stirling brushes.  Let's see if there is any funk this time

Package came today on a very hot day.  That had me concerned but the soap was totally fine and smells great.  I shaved tonight with a sample of Coconut Lime and finished with the Island Man splash.  A heavenly summer shave!  Stirling is moving towards the top my list after this second order.  Very happy!

(08-03-2015, 05:36 PM)buickrob Wrote:
(08-03-2015, 05:35 PM)DamnitGoose Wrote: Ozark Mountains is the greatest smelling soap ever made (to me). Absolutely amazing, and it whips up a great lather

I'm trying to nail down what it reminds me of.  I really like it, and it is insanely familiar, just haven't figured it out yetSmile

I cant either, also Rod has re-sourced his tallow, and the funk is gone. His products are top notch now. Its like a nice warm Christmas day where you spend the day buried in assorted coniferous trees. I would love if he added some menthol to this soap and re-released it as an LE during the winter time.

0 517
 08-03-2015, 06:38 PM
User Info
I just ordered around 10 more samples, I'm hooked and they are good to have on hand when you want a quick change of pace.

Still trying to figure out Ozark. The balm help pin it down, it's definitely something from either my mother's or grandmother's house around Christmas. Either some type of ornament or decoration was scented similarly. I'll figure this out!

55 923