07-16-2015, 10:45 PM
User Info
I received my new Whipped Dog synthetic 24mm today from Larry. First I want to mention that Larry provides excellent customer service. Now on to my personal experience and opinion on the brush. I will compare it to the Plisson synthetic since that is the only other synthetic I own. I have shaved with my Plisson 11 times and the Whipped Dog only one time. I face lathered with both brushes, although I have tested the Plisson for bowl lathering which it did a fine job, but I bet the WD will be a little better.

Tips = The tips on the Whipped Dog are every bit as soft as the Plisson. I judge tip softness by pressing the brush tips against my face and lightly bouncing it off of my different areas to feel how prickly it is. Both brushes are incredibly soft and have no prickliness at all, thus I rate them equal. 

Backbone = This is subjective because some people prefer more or less backbone than others. I know a lot of people complain about the Plisson for lacking backbone, yet I find it provides just the right amount. The Whipped Dog 24mm has significantly more backbone than the Plisson. You definitely have to apply more pressure to get it to splay, and continue to hold pressure on it while face lathering. It has very good springiness which I like, however it might take some time to get used to resisting the springiness due to having to hold pressure for splaying. I prefer the backbone on the Plisson but I enjoy the WD very much.

Load and Lather = The WD does a fine job loading and lathering. I used Barrister & Mann and had no problem picking up enough for a 3 pass shave. The lather was also no problem. I feel the WD and Plisson are equal in load and lather.

Handle = The WD has a great feel and looks nice as well. I had a bit of trouble holding it at times but I blame that on the amazing slickness of B&M as I got soap on my hand a few times. For the price I am amazed at the handle.

Size = The WD has the exact same height handle, and the loft is probably a couple mm shorter. The 24mm knot is slightly bigger than the 22mm size 12 Plisson, and this is probably the primary reason the backbone is stronger. I like the 24mm size, which I expect to perform very good when bowl lathering.

Overall I am very impressed with the WD synthetic, and for $22.00 shipped it is a heck of a deal. I am going to have to try one of Larry's Silvertip 30mm next. Great brush and great service.

[Image: RH5BeZI.jpg]

13 947
 07-17-2015, 12:06 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Looking forward to receiving a 24 mm with the same handle myself. Didn't want to buy a 30mm as I suspect it would be to big for me. Thanks for the review!

28 1,433
 07-17-2015, 04:52 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(07-17-2015, 12:06 AM)Snuff Wrote: Looking forward to receiving a 24 mm with the same handle myself. Didn't want to buy a 30mm as I suspect it would be to big for me. Thanks for the review!

I also thought that a 30mm would be too big. But luckily for me Larry did not have 24 mm knots when I was looking for a new synth. brush, so I ended up getting a 30mm synthetic. 

I must tell that though I like my smaller Plissons very much, the larger WD synth. is AWESOME!

And of course, Larry's business ethics is impeccable!

111 1,402
 07-17-2015, 04:57 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(07-17-2015, 04:52 AM)ARGH Wrote:
(07-17-2015, 12:06 AM)Snuff Wrote: Looking forward to receiving a 24 mm with the same handle myself. Didn't want to buy a 30mm as I suspect it would be to big for me. Thanks for the review!

I also thought that a 30mm would be too big. But luckily for me Larry did not have 24 mm knots when I was looking for a new synth. brush, so I ended up getting a 30mm synthetic. 

I must tell that though I like my smaller Plissons very much, the larger WD synth. is AWESOME!

And of course, Larry's business ethics is impeccable!
I actually prefer larger knots regardless but do agree- the 30mm is a keeper. I had Larry drill it to a 65mm loft and it is just about perfect for my needs. I will try and take a snap of it with some other synthetics for comparison later.

2 1,180
 07-17-2015, 06:46 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Would love to see the pictures, who knows if i like the 24 I might order a 30 after all.

28 1,433
 07-17-2015, 07:38 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(07-17-2015, 06:46 AM)Snuff Wrote: Would love to see the pictures, who knows if i like the 24 I might order a 30 after all.

Sure thing- working from home today so here is a quick shot.

From left to right:

Whipped Dog, The Grooming Co. [Plisson knot, set less loft], Simpsons Chubby 2 and Doug Korn D7. I had decided to try out some synthetics and this was the cross section I went with to see if I enjoyed using them. I do. Of the group the Doug Korn with a Pur-Tech knot of nominal size 26mm, effective size 28mm and a loft of 51mm is my favorite. Great for face lathering! So much so that I am waiting on a second, same knot but set with a little more loft. Doug is a great guy to work with and his brushes are both a treat to use and to look at...

I try hard not turn shaving into too much of a science, but if you have any other questions I can help with re: synthetics and what I have personally tried let me know and happy to help!

[Image: FyZZjXgl.jpg]

2 1,180
 07-17-2015, 07:47 AM
User Info
I'm waiting for a 24mm synthetic knot from Larry to arrive and I'll be setting it in a custom handle.  There is so much positive feedback on this knot that I just had to try it.

48 5,717
 07-17-2015, 07:58 AM
User Info
(07-17-2015, 07:38 AM)kwsher Wrote:
(07-17-2015, 06:46 AM)Snuff Wrote: Would love to see the pictures, who knows if i like the 24 I might order a 30 after all.

Sure thing- working from home today so here is a quick shot.

From left to right:

Whipped Dog, The Grooming Co. [Plisson knot, set less loft], Simpsons Chubby 2 and Doug Korn D7. I had decided to try out some synthetics and this was the cross section I went with to see if I enjoyed using them. I do. Of the group the Doug Korn with a Pur-Tech knot of nominal size 26mm, effective size 28mm and a loft of 51mm is my favorite. Great for face lathering! So much so that I am waiting on a second, same knot but set with a little more loft. Doug is a great guy to work with and his brushes are both a treat to use and to look at...

I try hard not turn shaving into too much of a science, but if you have any other questions I can help with re: synthetics and what I have personally tried let me know and happy to help!

[Image: FyZZjXgl.jpg]

I saw your D7 in your earlier post Kevin, and I'm still impressed by what a good looking brush that is.  Does your Pur Tech knot have a big glue bump?

48 5,717
 07-17-2015, 08:04 AM
User Info
I have a 30mm whipped dog synthetic,  I've said it a few times already but it is my favorite synthetic, heck it's my favorite brush that I own.

3 1,356
 07-17-2015, 08:47 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(07-17-2015, 07:58 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I saw your D7 in your earlier post Kevin, and I'm still impressed by what a good looking brush that is.  Does your Pur Tech knot have a big glue bump?

Hi Ricardo and thanks for the kind words- I use Doug's brush A LOT! It is a real pleasure and I can't want to get #2 which will likely be my last synthetic. My example does not have a glue bump that impacts splay, face feel or backbone appreciably.

I did order #2 with a bit more loft but that is solely because I wanted to augment the one I have and have something different to try- even so, Doug is only going to set the new knot at 53mm for me. The Pur-Tech has a great feel to it and, although I do like all the synthetics I have, believe that it edges out the others re: overall feel and performance. 

By a hair... so to speak Wink

2 1,180
 07-17-2015, 09:02 AM
User Info
That brush by Dough is dd gorgeous

21 1,175
 07-17-2015, 09:18 AM
User Info

I was so close to buying a 30mm when he was out of 24mm, and still think about getting one. However, I am a face latherer and 22 to 24mm brushes are perfect size for me.

13 947
 07-17-2015, 09:54 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(07-17-2015, 09:02 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote: That brush by Dough is dd gorgeous

(07-17-2015, 09:18 AM)Hobbyist Wrote:

I was so close to buying a 30mm when he was out of 24mm, and still think about getting one. However, I am a face latherer and 22 to 24mm brushes are perfect size for me.

Thanks much Phillip! The next one is going to be very cool as well and Doug really does phenomenal finish work. I meant to take more pics of this first one but never did- will shoot some more this weekend.

Hobbyist, I am a face latherer as well but do like the big boys. The WD 30mm works perfectly for me and generates a ton of lather very quickly. YMMV of course!

2 1,180
 07-28-2015, 07:31 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info

Received my brush, nice handle and put well together for that price! Fast delivery to Europe btw.

My brush has a knot of 26mm instead of 24, not that I mind. Tried it today during my second shave and although it's the first use it won't be a favorite of mine. Too much backbone for me, but hey it's all YMMV.

28 1,433
 07-28-2015, 07:58 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(07-28-2015, 07:31 AM)Snuff Wrote:

Received my brush, nice handle and put well together for that price! Fast delivery to Europe btw.

My brush has a knot of 26mm instead of 24, not that I mind. Tried it today during my second shave and although it's the first use it won't be a favorite of mine. Too much backbone for me, but hey it's all YMMV.

Snuff, what loft did you go with? I do like some backbone but my 30mm is very easy to splay for face lathering. I had it set at 65mm as mentioned.

Also, on the knot diameter I believe that 24mm is the nominal size and 25-26mm would be the effective size once Larry sets it.

Too bad it's not going to work- I very much enjoy mine.

2 1,180
 07-28-2015, 09:27 AM
User Info
My 24mm knot's loft is set at 54mm. I wouldn't go lower with this as it starts to approach Grooming Co. specs, and this knot doesn't need any more backbone. 54mm allows some soft scrub while also opening up and, along with the soft tips, makes for pleasant face feel and effective face-lathering.

29 1,776
 07-28-2015, 11:14 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Mine is also 54mm loft. I'm sure it is a dream brush for those who want some more backbone, just not my preference.

28 1,433
 07-28-2015, 07:16 PM
User Info
I have a 30x60mm WD synthetic. 
It's a wonderful brush and holds water very well.
Soft feeling with adequate backbone.

2 121