07-17-2015, 07:05 AM
User Info
anyone have opinion on dr k soap? they make a lime and a peppermint

36 892
 07-17-2015, 07:15 AM
User Info
It is almost as good as all the other shaving soaps, on the first look.  Mine is the peppermint. A homogenous somewhat gooey grey puck that can be pressed anywhere.
non particular scent. For me hard to prefer over anything else
Having another go at it while edting this review:

It is very unspectacular, due to its consistency and good but not exciting aroma. Now  I had to shave with it again. Did so 10 minutes ago.   It is actually a very_well performing soap, I used my synthetic plisson which may mean you have to work much more to get the same lather with a badger. I  do not tolerate many soaps and this feels like I could shave with it every day, literally:

Good postshave, a mild soap that is really easy on the skin. Which is not common at all!

Looking at the ingredients,it is unique, withh Shea butter acid and Castorate, then Palmate being the first ingredients, I think I know why it behaves that way now, the resulting lather reminds me of Soap Commander (due to the shea butter ) and a Consistency like Mystic waters, likely because of to the Castorate. Stearic acid and Cocoate are the next ingredients, then Glycerin, Bentonite, Sucrose and Peppermint Oil,limonene and Linalool.

The lather has  effective lubrication and cushion.

Ahemmm... recommended!  =) On the 3rd look! 

Philipp

21 1,175
 07-17-2015, 07:31 AM
User Info
My only experience of Dr. K was four years ago when I was asked to try the peppermint during its development stage. At that time, the lather was pretty thin and nothing special. I'd like to think it's improved somewhat between then and the final product.

31 5,293
 07-18-2015, 04:31 PM
User Info
I tested it out recently, it was ok the lather was good and the scent nice. I have found that the puck I had really lost its scent even when kept in a sealed container. Good for a British soap but will not stand up to the U.S. Artisans.

4 642
 07-18-2015, 04:54 PM
User Info
(07-18-2015, 04:31 PM)Windsor Citrus Wrote: I tested it out recently, it was ok the lather was good and the scent nice. I have found that the puck I had really lost its scent even when kept in a sealed container. Good for a British soap but will not stand up to the U.S. Artisans.

It is based out of Ireland-- not Britain. I have not used this soap personally but I far prefer British soaps to American "artisan" soaps. Catie's Bubbles, Stirling, Tiki, Mama Bear, Syngergy (or whatever "Doug" calls it nowadays) just can not hold a candle next to Mitchell's Wool Fat or Castle Forbes which have decades of experience and history. The only American soap I've used that has impressed me in all aspects was Barrister and Mann. To tell the truth, Catie's is ok (with not that great scents) but it is just a clone of MdC.

Maybe this is a case of "the grass is greener on the other side."

18 713