07-17-2015, 09:40 AM
User Info
Too many people that are simply ignorant, immediately discount a higher priced soap because it is more expensive. They may look at the price per oz or the sticker price and go with the cheap stuff. As an example, consider these two creams: Bluebeards Revenge at ~$10 for 100ml and Castle Forbes at ~$27. BR claims to last 50 shaves while CF claims to last 5-6 months. I don't doubt CF lasts that long in daily use; as CF is the consistency of Catie's Bubbles (a soft soap) and CB at 8oz, lasted 133 shaves in my testing. CF requires less loading time than CB and hence less product. 

If you do the math, BR will come out to the cost of $.20 per use, while CF will come out to $.14 per use. If you use the American market version of Bluebeard's Revenge, you will be paying a whopping $.36 per use. That is more than Martin de Candre! By being a cheapskate, you will be paying more for an inferior product that smells like hairspray. 

Now I am far from finished with my testing, but you can get a general idea about the true price of soap here: http://theoriginalsafetytoo.com/thread/1...red-tested

I have tested a soft soap (croap), a regular soap, and a triple milled soap, so even if I haven't tested a particular soap you can get a pretty good idea by how long a soap will last by its density.

18 713
 07-17-2015, 10:06 AM
User Info
Like Yoda would say, "Cheap I'm not" Wink

You are right, you get what you pay for.  I always say, buy what you can afford, sometimes is not about been a cheapskate, but out of necessity.

Keep your good work!

61 3,796
 07-17-2015, 10:19 AM
User Info
I am not sure if I am cheap as I only use one soap. Biggrin However, I would never be hesitant to buy a more expensive soap if I knew it was very good.

82 21,056
 07-17-2015, 10:23 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yea, sometimes you may be ahead of the game buying the more expensive product if you get more uses per equivalent sized cheaper product. No, I don't think you always get what you pay for either. 

Bob

0 1,694
 07-17-2015, 10:23 AM
User Info
And that's the hard part Mr. C.  Because what it may be a great soap for me, it may not work for you.  I'm pretty much set on what I use, but I went through quite some soaps looking for "it".

At least now you see more samples for sale.

61 3,796
 07-17-2015, 10:50 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
The cost calculations of things shaving is so 2006. Smile   Nowadays who cares, with $400 shaving brushes, $2000 custom straights,the cost of ANY soap or razor blades is real chump change, not even worth thinking about. Besides, the standard of living for most Americans has fallen so much that the last thing we want is to cost calculate in a hobby that provides pleasure and distraction from the daily cost calculations that's a necessity for daily survival . That survival is so full of tension , restraint and unease that last thing we should do perhaps is burden the hobby with it?

15 541
 07-17-2015, 10:57 AM
User Info
(07-17-2015, 10:50 AM)Hanzo Wrote: The cost calculations of things shaving is so 2006. Smile   Nowadays who cares, with $400 shaving brushes, $2000 custom straights,the cost of ANY soap or razor blades is real chump change, not even worth thinking about. Besides, the standard of living for most Americans has fallen so much that the last thing we want is to cost calculate in a hobby that provides pleasure and distraction from the daily cost calculations that's a necessity for daily survival . That survival is so full of tension , restraint and unease that last thing we should do perhaps is burden the hobby with it?

Apparently it still matters to many people because I frequently see posts dismissing seemingly more expensive soaps, hence the reason for this post. Only the people that have more money than they know what to do with or have no life and want to impress others online buy $400 brushes and $2000 straights. The vast majority of wet shavers don't. Not sure if you're being sarcastic...

18 713
 07-17-2015, 11:24 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I have the expectation that when I buy an expensive soap that costs 3x as much as soaps I normally use I should feel I am getting an equivalent boost in performance and enjoy the scent. In almost all cases I have not seen that huge boost in performance. In almost all case they have performed possibly slightly better but not enough for me to justify that added expense. A lot of times the scent is not for me either on top of the performance issue. This is where being able to sample a soap is such an advantage. You can see how it performs and if you like the scent before you commit to a purchase. 

Bob

0 1,694
 07-17-2015, 12:04 PM
User Info
So we all got into this wet shaving thing.... to save money....

Ultimately my choice of soap/cream is based on the enjoyment factor and not economics.
At opposite ends of the spectrum (economics):
AdP vs Arko

Probably get more shaves out of a stick of Arko.
However the scent and after shave face feel of AdP is incomparable.

The final component is consistent result. I will pay for consistent result.
Which is my largest complaint about some of the artisanal offerings .... but that is a whole different discussion!

2 150
 07-17-2015, 12:20 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(07-17-2015, 10:57 AM)fram773 Wrote:
(07-17-2015, 10:50 AM)Hanzo Wrote: The cost calculations of things shaving is so 2006. Smile   Nowadays who cares, with $400 shaving brushes, $2000 custom straights,the cost of ANY soap or razor blades is real chump change, not even worth thinking about. Besides, the standard of living for most Americans has fallen so much that the last thing we want is to cost calculate in a hobby that provides pleasure and distraction from the daily cost calculations that's a necessity for daily survival . That survival is so full of tension , restraint and unease that last thing we should do perhaps is burden the hobby with it?

Apparently it still matters to many people because I frequently see posts dismissing seemingly more expensive soaps, hence the reason for this post. Only the people that have more money than they know what to do with or have no life and want to impress others online buy $400 brushes and $2000 straights. The vast majority of wet shavers don't. Not sure if you're being sarcastic...

15 541
 07-17-2015, 12:57 PM
User Info
(07-17-2015, 10:57 AM)fram773 Wrote: Only the people that have more money than they know what to do with or have no life and want to impress others online buy $400 brushes and $2000 straights.

Yet people who buy inexpensive soaps are morons, right?

0 40
 07-17-2015, 01:04 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(07-17-2015, 12:20 PM)Hanzo Wrote:

There is less concern with cost calculations and products now than in the past on all the forums, shavers at the hobby level aren't concerned at all. There just is less talk of how many shaves from a Treet can you get or how many shaves from a tub of Taylors.  What's happened has been the forums are now less places of education for people seeking cheaper shaves and now places where hobbyists pursue their interest and where that's the case they think less about their expenditure or a cheap value because their hobby maybe a nice area of care free  luxury . Where a hobbyist might think in terms of bargains maybe in saying for example the TSN LE 2015 was the bargain of the  year , we've witnessed the anguish of those who could not spend for one quick enough. Or the Mongoose at $149 new or the old price of a Wolfman should not have been missed.

15 541
 07-17-2015, 01:19 PM
User Info

With all do respect fram, but who gave you the right to pass judgement on people that wish to buy $400.00 brushes and 2k straights?  What makes you better? 

Let me see, because this comment really got to me, I do have money, have a great life, and I don't give two rats about impressing you or anybody else.

This is the first post I have read on this forum of this sort, and I don't think it fits the camaraderie of TSN.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think you cross the line on this one.  Maybe is just me.

61 3,796
 07-17-2015, 01:29 PM
User Info
(07-17-2015, 01:19 PM)hrfdez Wrote:

With all do respect fram, but who gave you the right to pass judgement on people that wish to buy $400.00 brushes and 2k straights?  What makes you better? 

Let me see, because this comment really got to me, I do have money, have a great life, and I don't give two rats about impressing you or anybody else.

This is the first post I have read on this forum of this sort, and I don't think it fits the camaraderie of TSN.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think you cross the line on this one.  Maybe is just me.
I apologize. Maybe I did cross the line, it just irked me that Hanzo seemed to take it for granted that everyone has the ability to throw that kind of money around.

Some people genuinely cant or are unwilling to pay that kind of money. That was my intention for this thread to educate on how to get the best value.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

18 713
 07-17-2015, 01:32 PM
User Info
Soap is cheap, even the expensive ones - I say load it like you hate it  Biggrin

Martin De candre is a rather expensive soap, but even if you load the heck out of it for each shave, it will still end up giving you a lot of shaves pr. $ - more so than other soaps.

24 5,840
 07-17-2015, 01:34 PM
User Info
(07-17-2015, 01:29 PM)fram773 Wrote:
(07-17-2015, 10:57 AM)fram773 Wrote: Apparently it still matters to many people because I frequently see posts dismissing seemingly more expensive soaps, hence the reason for this post. Only the people that have more money than they know what to do with or have no life and want to impress others online buy $400 brushes and $2000 straights. The vast majority of wet shavers don't. Not sure if you're being sarcastic...

I apologize. Maybe I did cross the line, it just irked me that Hanzo seemed to take it for granted that everyone has the ability to throw that kind of money around.

Some people genuinely cant or are unwilling to pay that kind of money. That was my intention for this thread to educate on how to get the best value.

Accepted Wink. I agree with your statement, I even said that on my first post.  Just remember we are a big community with different backgrounds, means, etc, but we still have to respect each other Wink

61 3,796
 07-17-2015, 01:37 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(07-17-2015, 10:57 AM)fram773 Wrote: Apparently it still matters to many people because I frequently see posts dismissing seemingly more expensive soaps, hence the reason for this post. Only the people that have more money than they know what to do with or have no life and want to impress others online buy $400 brushes and $2000 straights. The vast majority of wet shavers don't. Not sure if you're being sarcastic...

LOL Fram , Hanzo's wife said " Hanzo also does not have that kind of money to throw around".   I certainly didn't mean to cause you any upset or irritation .

15 541
 07-17-2015, 01:38 PM
User Info
I'm glad we all could come to an understanding.

18 713
 07-17-2015, 01:38 PM
User Info
(07-17-2015, 01:37 PM)Hanzo Wrote:
(07-17-2015, 01:19 PM)hrfdez Wrote: With all do respect fram, but who gave you the right to pass judgement on people that wish to buy $400.00 brushes and 2k straights?  What makes you better? 

LOL Fram , Hanzo's wife said " Hanzo also does not have that kind of money to throw around".   I certainly didn't mean to cause you any upset or irritation .

Hanzo, you wealthy SOB, I'm sending you my PayPal address so you can send some cash 24

61 3,796
 07-17-2015, 01:39 PM
User Info
Is all good fram Biggrin

61 3,796