07-17-2015, 04:21 PM
User Info
I ordered a shavecraft tech head and finally used it for the first time today. I gotta say it's a pretty aggressive razor. I thought some guys were bs'ing when they said it was very aggressive. I assumed it would be somewhat aggressive, but I would say it's much more aggressive than the other two razors I own, the muhle r41 and the ikon sb. The shave went alright. One tiny small cut, nothing that bad. I only shaved with the grain as I found shaving against the grain ESPECIALLY in the neck area would result in cuts as the razor seemed to drag a bit when going against the grain in the neck area. I used shaving oil with cremo cream on top of that. Is  this razor a keeper to me? Yes, I will continue to use it because for some weird reason, even though it is pretty aggressive, I like it. Shaving against the grain with this razor is tough for me. Anyone else having this problem in the neck area with this razor when going against the grain? It's a well made razor head. I did a one pass with the grain and that's it. Pretty close, but not bbs. The people who were saying this is a pretty aggressive razor were 100% right. USE LITTLE TO NO PRESSURE with this razor and if anyone can give me any tips as to how to shave against the grain with this very aggressive razor, please share those tips. LOL

BTW CREMO CREME IS OVERRATED

0 22
 07-17-2015, 04:36 PM
User Info
The only two things I can think of offering as advice to you are: 1. tons of practice 2. don't do it and just stick to ATG.   Biggrin

83 21,077
 07-17-2015, 06:05 PM
  • Niro884
  • Italian Shaving Enthusiast
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
It was too aggressive for me. Great quality shaver but not for everybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 506
 07-17-2015, 06:21 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing your experience.

61 3,796
 07-17-2015, 09:36 PM
User Info
(07-17-2015, 04:21 PM)nota33 Wrote: BTW CREMO CREME IS OVERRATED

I agree with you that Cremo Creme is overrated, and since we both agree on that, perhaps you should try using a good soap with your new Shavecraft Tech and then try against the grain.

13 947
 07-18-2015, 02:20 PM
User Info
I tried shaving again today. Sadly, the neck area got irritated. I have decided to get rid of this razor head. It is far too aggressive.

0 22
 07-18-2015, 02:38 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(07-18-2015, 02:20 PM)nota33 Wrote: I tried shaving again today. Sadly, the neck area got irritated. I have decided to get rid of this razor head. It is far too aggressive.

I would give it a few shaves before you give up on it.  I had about 2 or 3 rough shaves with my ATT M2 when I first got it, but I stuck with it and adjusted the angle and I now find it to be a mild/efficient razor.  I know it's no where near the aggressivenss of the shavecraft, but I wouldn't give up after 2 shaves.

3 561
 07-18-2015, 04:26 PM
User Info
I speaketh the truth. I told yall (yes I used my southern draw) this razor was no joke.

3 1,356
 07-19-2015, 04:14 AM
User Info
(07-18-2015, 04:26 PM)Otis375 Wrote: I speaketh the truth. I told yall (yes I used my southern draw)  this razor was no joke.

you were 100% right. This razor is 10 times more aggressive than either my muhle r41 and the ikon standard bar. I  should have listened to you. I'm out 60 dollars. I'll get over it. LOL

0 22
 07-19-2015, 05:06 AM
User Info
Since you have used it already you probably won't get what you paid for it but who does in most cases. I am very sure you can sell it and recoup most of your money.

121 13,123
 07-19-2015, 07:36 AM
User Info
(07-18-2015, 04:26 PM)Otis375 Wrote: I speaketh the truth. I told yall (yes I used my southern draw)  this razor was no joke.

are you keeping your shavecraft tech or are you gonna try to sell it? did you have problems with shaving in the neck area when going atg?

0 22
 07-21-2015, 06:39 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(07-18-2015, 02:20 PM)nota33 Wrote: I tried shaving again today. Sadly, the neck area got irritated. I have decided to get rid of this razor head. It is far too aggressive.

Having used many razors over the years, this one , although modest in appearance , is a unique performer. If it was stainless steel and bore a resemblance to the Wolfman , you would not be able to find it in stock. Most of us pass on razors we immediately don't get along with and down the road regret it or rebuy the razor. To in a few years when this one isn't produced anymore it will be the holy grail for some shaver like the 2011 R41 is now commanding crazy prices on ebay.

The razor seems to me a blessing if you have a tough beard perhaps not essential if you don't.

You can tame the aggression in 2 ways. First you can change the blade. I 've used a number of blades in mine and the shave differed in each, a forgiving blade like Voskhod gave a milder shave than the Feather which produced quite a few weepers. The 7'o Clock Sharp edge has given the best shaves so far. Still testing blades.

Second the quality of your lather can help reduce weepers and irritation. A brushless cream may be a lubrication gem but may not give the level of skin protection necessary for a really sharp razor/ blade combo. I find a layer of 3p or  Prep or maybe even Noxema or a thin layer of Nivea Crème followed by a dense cushiony lather gives the protection needed. You can simply put a snurdle of shaving cream on the top of a wet shaving soap and create the lather from this that offers good protection.

15 541
 07-22-2015, 02:20 PM
User Info
I ditched my ikon shavecraft tech. Too aggressive as I said. I recently purchased a muhle r89 and paired it with an ikon bulldog handle. Shaved with it for the first time today. Less aggressive than the shavecraft tech, but as efficient and much smoother and much more comfortable to use.

0 22
 07-22-2015, 02:53 PM
User Info
(07-19-2015, 04:14 AM)nota33 Wrote:

you were 100% right. This razor is 10 times more aggressive than either my muhle r41 and the ikon standard bar. I  should have listened to you. I'm out 60 dollars. I'll get over it. LOL

I'm sorry you weren't happy with the razor ,also apologize if my posts made you buy the razor. I try not to exaggerate about things and to me the razor is super aggressive. I plan on keeping it as I don't really sell razors,for the price it can sit in the closet whether I use it or not. I don't use it often because I cut myself every time I do use it. Don't really get irration from it.

3 1,356
 07-22-2015, 03:02 PM
User Info
(07-22-2015, 02:53 PM)Otis375 Wrote:
(07-19-2015, 04:14 AM)nota33 Wrote:

I'm sorry you weren't happy with the razor ,also apologize if my posts made you buy the razor. I try not to exaggerate about things and to me the razor is super aggressive. I plan on keeping it as I don't really sell razors,for the price it can sit in the closet whether I use it or not. I don't use it often because I cut myself every time I do use it. Don't really get irration from it.

No problem friend. I was gonna buy it before you mentioned it. It is super aggressive. May i ask what razor you currently use?

0 22
 07-22-2015, 03:05 PM
User Info
I have a ton of razors and to be honest I don't have a set razor . Most of the time I use an r41 on an ikon handle. However I also use my merkur progress a lot as well . IMO the progress is as close to perfect as you can get,but I use the r41 just to save time. I've got slants,vintage, adjustables, open combs,Edwin Jaggers,basically you name it I have it. You looking for anything in particular?? Lol I bet I have it.

3 1,356
 07-22-2015, 03:18 PM
User Info
(07-22-2015, 03:05 PM)Otis375 Wrote: I have a ton of razors and to be honest I don't have a set razor . Most of the time I use an r41 on an ikon handle. However I also use my merkur progress a lot as well . IMO the progress is as close to perfect as you can get,but I use the r41 just to save time. I've got slants,vintage, adjustables, open combs,Edwin Jaggers,basically you name it I have it. You looking for anything in particular?? Lol I bet I have it.

I also have an r41 that came on an ikon handle. Maybe it's just me, but I found the ikon shavecraft to be much more aggressive than the muhle r41. same thing for you?

0 22
 07-22-2015, 03:23 PM
User Info
(07-22-2015, 03:18 PM)nota33 Wrote:
(07-22-2015, 03:05 PM)Otis375 Wrote: I have a ton of razors and to be honest I don't have a set razor . Most of the time I use an r41 on an ikon handle. However I also use my merkur progress a lot as well . IMO the progress is as close to perfect as you can get,but I use the r41 just to save time. I've got slants,vintage, adjustables, open combs,Edwin Jaggers,basically you name it I have it. You looking for anything in particular?? Lol I bet I have it.

I also have an r41 that came on an ikon handle. Maybe it's just me, but I found the ikon shavecraft to be much more aggressive than the muhle r41. same thing for you?

Yes definitely ,and for me the tech isn't all that smooth. The r41 for me is as smooth as any other razor and after using the tech the r41 could skip around my face like a superspeed. I still have yet to get any sort of Nick or cut and to the best of my memory I can't remember even getting razor burn with the r41. Have you ever tried a progress? It's IMO the baseline to aggressive meaning turned up to 5 its just what I consider aggresive. IMO its just as smooth if not smoother than a muhle/de89.

3 1,356
 07-22-2015, 03:25 PM
User Info
(07-22-2015, 03:23 PM)Otis375 Wrote:
(07-22-2015, 03:18 PM)nota33 Wrote:

Yes definitely ,and for me the tech isn't all that smooth. The r41 for me is as smooth as any other razor and after using the tech the r41 could skip around my face like a superspeed. I still have yet to get any sort of Nick or cut and to the best of my memory I can't remember even getting razor burn with the r41. Have you ever tried a progress? It's IMO the baseline to aggressive meaning turned up to 5 its just what I consider aggresive. IMO its just as smooth if not smoother than a muhle/de89.

I agree with you 100%. I also found the muhle r41 to be a smoother shaver than the shavecraft tech. I have not tried the progress. I will look into that.

0 22
 07-22-2015, 03:39 PM
User Info
The progress and r41 are 2 razors I'd replace if something happened to them. The other I dunno 15 or so I have I can't say I would.

3 1,356