07-18-2015, 07:02 AM
User Info
So I have never used one of these, read some reviews and heard from friends that soap stick perform very well and also very cheap. What's your favorite shave stick and what do you recommend? there is LaToja, Tabac, Speick, Arko, Palmolive.... i have tried Tabac soap before and love the scent and performance, the others i neither tried their soap or cream. Looking forward to hear your comments. Thank you all

14 482
 07-18-2015, 07:44 AM
User Info
My favorite is (sorry)... Arko!

I also enjoy La Toja. I didn't have luck with Speick, just couldn't get a good lather, but I only used it twice. Haven't used any other of the "commercial" soap sticks. Some soaps just don't seem to work well in stick form, Mystic Waters is one, although I really like it in puck form- actually one of my favorite soaps.

0 24
 07-18-2015, 07:51 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Any of the ones you mentioned work just fine for me. If you like Tabac I would go with that to be on the safe side for your first foray into shave sticks.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-18-2015, 07:52 AM
User Info
All the sticks you mentioned are great performers. I like to grate mine into a bowl and use that way. When I travel I use a Mystic waters shave stick. Great performance, has a turn knob bottom like you see with deodorant to raise the stick, and comes with a cap. 

Another thing you can do is use an empty deodorant container, clean it, and pack it with your own favorite soap. There are several tutorials on how to do it.

147 3,537
 07-18-2015, 07:55 AM
User Info
As Bob has mentioned, any of the ones you mentioned will work just fine.  Personally, I like Mystic Water. 
Good luck.

83 21,077
 07-18-2015, 08:05 AM
User Info
My favourite shave stick would have to be La Toja both for scent and performance, so there's my recommendation. But like the others have said any stick will do, they're all pretty cheap so you should try the give them all a shot. The Palmolive or Arko would probably be the best bang for your buck, but the Arko scent is a bit polarizing though.

7 786
 07-18-2015, 08:06 AM
  • sgtd
  • Emerald Coast
User Info
Don't sleep on the Lea stick. Valobra is another awesome stick. Of the ones you mentioned, though, La Toja may be my favorite. Only maybe though; they're all awesome and it really depends on what mood I'm in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 26
 07-18-2015, 08:08 AM
User Info
My favorite thus far is La Toja (great slickness and ease of use, plus the scent is very nice), although I do keep a stick of Speick around on account of the lovely scent.

16 249
 07-18-2015, 08:50 AM
User Info
Thanks gentlemen for all the feedback. As Freddie mentioned I am considering packing an old deodorant stick with a little amount of MDC and see how it works, it will be very nice mainly when I travel. I will probably use LaToja or tabac based on the reviews. Another thing I consider is the stick to be packed in a deodorant like tube rather than a standalone stick to avoid the mess Smile

14 482
 07-18-2015, 09:35 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(07-18-2015, 08:50 AM)1SOAP Wrote: Thanks gentlemen for all the feedback. As Freddie mentioned I am considering packing an old deodorant stick with a little amount of MDC and see how it works, it will be very nice mainly when I travel. I will probably use LaToja or tabac based on the reviews. Another thing I consider is the stick to be packed in a deodorant like tube rather than a standalone stick to avoid the mess Smile

The stand alone sticks are fine if you only unwrap what you need for use. They can be put in an old prescription pill tube for storage when travelling to avoid any mess.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-18-2015, 09:58 AM
User Info
Valobra shave stick - one of the best. 

DR Harris has all their soap flavors in shave stick travel containers. 

On the less expensive side, LEA has a shave stick (with lanolin) in a travel container.

0 24
 07-18-2015, 10:23 AM
User Info
Tabac would be a good bet in your case if you know you like it. Otherwise, Arko is one everyone should try at least once. I can't stand it personally, but it's very popular and just one of those products.

0 40
 07-18-2015, 10:28 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(07-18-2015, 07:02 AM)1SOAP Wrote: So I have never used one of these, read some reviews and heard from friends that soap stick perform very well and also very cheap. What's your favorite shave stick and what do you recommend? there is LaToja, Tabac, Speick, Arko, Palmolive.... i have tried Tabac soap before and love the scent and performance, the others i neither tried their soap or cream. Looking forward to hear your comments. Thank you all

For me it's no contest.
Valobra stick is best combo of scent and performance.
I wouldn't even bother with another.

59 2,818
 07-18-2015, 10:46 AM
User Info
Make your own; I take whatever soap I like and press it into a soap stick container and go to town.

23 656
 07-18-2015, 10:49 AM
User Info
(07-18-2015, 10:46 AM)Starkicker Wrote: Make your own; I take whatever soap I like and press it into a soap stick container and go to town.

+1  This is what I do with my favourite scents from Mystic Water.  Biggrin

83 21,077
 07-18-2015, 11:05 AM
User Info
I think I will do that with MDC!
Also the prescription drug container is a genius idea!
About Arko, I think I am turned off from all the reviews about the scent haha
I am between tabac Speick and valobra. Or maybe all of them haha

14 482
 07-19-2015, 04:04 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(07-18-2015, 07:02 AM)1SOAP Wrote: So I have never used one of these, read some reviews and heard from friends that soap stick perform very well and also very cheap. What's your favorite shave stick and what do you recommend? there is LaToja, Tabac, Speick, Arko, Palmolive.... i have tried Tabac soap before and love the scent and performance, the others i neither tried their soap or cream. Looking forward to hear your comments. Thank you all

I recommend any DR Harris sticks.  They are as excellent as their pucks.

However, it is not that difficult to make your own.

1 795
 07-19-2015, 04:06 PM
User Info
(07-19-2015, 04:04 PM)Teddyboy Wrote:

This is what I use, they are excellent.  I also use LaToya, very nice also.

61 3,796
 07-19-2015, 06:19 PM
User Info
(07-19-2015, 04:04 PM)Teddyboy Wrote:

Most probably I will be going to Germany at the end of August, I will make sure to pick up a Speick and a tabac stick. And I will also make my own with MDC!
I think I want to try all of them after all the reviews Smile

14 482