07-18-2015, 08:17 PM
User Info
I have been looking for a more reasonably priced soap than the Stirling I was using. The time I had bought it I think it was $2.50-2.75 a bar? Now it costs $4 a bar. I was pleased with the Stirling bath soap though, which is not something I can say about the shave soap. I detest drying soaps such as Irish Spring, Ivory, and Zest. Quite frankly, I am not sure how people manage to use those things. I have used Dove pretty much all my life. I was more impressed with Stirling because somehow my skin got accustomed to the point that Dove seems drying. And Dove really doesn't have much durability, it seems to melt into a lotiony mess. 

I gave Papoutsanis soap a try which was only $5 plus some change delivered from Greece for three 4.4.oz bars. Durability and skincare is on par with Stirling. It is Olive oil so some might not like the scent. It did seem off putting at first and reminded me of a tire shop but the scent quickly goes away. It is quite oily and some might not like the feel of that. It also does not lather well, being olive oil based; not that it really matters much as it does clean-- as the dirty water will prove. 

Overall I find it compares well and it is natural. Ingredients: saponified Olive Oil, aqua (water), sodium chloride (salt), citric acid.

Consider the cons, and I would recommend it if you are looking for an affordable, natural, and vegan soap with excellent skincare.

[Image: 81psCvr7ucL._SL1500_.jpg]

18 713
 07-18-2015, 08:29 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
This is a good time to help Greece, and other nations in financial turmoil-Z

2 3,171
 07-18-2015, 08:39 PM
User Info
(07-18-2015, 08:29 PM)kav Wrote: This is a good time to help Greece, and other nations in financial turmoil-Z

I am sure we can turn Greece's economy singlehandedly by buying their soap  Biggrin Italy also makes a soap very similar to this, Olivella, but I have not used it so I can not endorse it. I do understand this is a traditional Mediterranean soap (which I think Arabs actually invented), so that soap should probably be similar.

18 713
 07-18-2015, 08:50 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
[Image: YvKRz67.jpg] It is always the few who make a difference. OOMPA! I teach you to 'think globally, act locally'.

2 3,171
 07-19-2015, 02:31 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
There are too many olive soaps in greek market. Papoutsanis makes some, the one you bought, it's not actually their best. We can find it locally for 0.70 euros each. Next time, if you like olive soaps, try his line called olivia.

An example.

[Image: 20150311135229_papoutsanis_olivia_fytiko...seupt.jpeg]

There are many that use olive soaps like shampoo bars.

49 1,940
 07-19-2015, 07:07 AM
User Info
This thread can go south fast Wink

Thanks for the recommendation Nick.

61 3,796
 07-20-2015, 07:57 AM
User Info
I have tried a lot of Olive, Greek and Turkish soaps. I do prefer the Syrian Aleppo or Turkish soaps that are similar with Laurel oil. But the Greek olive soaps make a good change. As noted above, Aleppo and Greek soaps make excellent shampoo bars too! I have tried the Olivia in different packaging:

[Image: olivia-withaloevera-s.jpg]

0 278
 09-30-2015, 05:01 PM
User Info
I've been using it as a shampoo bar for a while now with good results. I'm not a long haired hippie so I can not tell you how luscious and silky smooth my hair is-- I have a crew cut. It does not seem overly dry and still works very well despite olive oil not being such a good latherer.

18 713