07-19-2015, 12:33 AM
User Info
I am very interested in the Phoenix Symmetry Open Comb or possibly safety bar model but would like feedback first. How aggressive its the OC vs the closed comb? What is the quality of craftsmanship?

13 947
 07-19-2015, 12:56 AM
User Info
Hobbyist: would you mind if I join ranks with you? I bumped into their website and am very curious to find out more about these razors. where are they made and what are they like in terms of quality?

1 42
 07-19-2015, 01:05 AM
User Info
(07-19-2015, 12:56 AM)Tilly1648 Wrote: Hobbyist: would you mind if I join ranks with you? I bumped into their website and am very curious to find out more about these razors. where are they made and what are they like in terms of quality?

No problem. I did actually read the reviews on their website but I would prefer to hear from members here.

13 947
 07-19-2015, 01:13 AM
User Info
(07-19-2015, 01:05 AM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(07-19-2015, 12:56 AM)Tilly1648 Wrote: Hobbyist: would you mind if I join ranks with you? I bumped into their website and am very curious to find out more about these razors. where are they made and what are they like in terms of quality?

No problem. I did actually read the reviews on their website but I would prefer to hear from members here.

I found several reviews on SNC. Seems to be less agressive then the R41 from what I read. Qualitywise (chrome finish) its sits below the Mühle.

However there seem to have been some issue(s) with PAA in the past I would like to hear more about.

1 42
 07-19-2015, 01:55 AM
User Info
(07-19-2015, 01:13 AM)Tilly1648 Wrote:
(07-19-2015, 01:05 AM)Hobbyist Wrote:

I found several reviews on SNC. Seems to be less agressive then the R41 from what I read. Qualitywise (chrome finish) its sits below the Mühle.

However there seem to have been some issue(s) with PAA in the past I would like to hear more about.
Don't know of any issues at all but open to hear. I know The Shavin Evangelist used the new Phoenix Double OC on one of his videos and seemed to like it okay. Also, he is a big fan of Their soaps. I bought two of the soaps and other than not preferring the scent they are good. The scent is spot on and strong too, just not my preference for a shave.

13 947
 07-19-2015, 02:53 AM
User Info
I've used the razor and found it to be very efficient but you also do feel the blade on your face. If scaled with regards to a merkur adjustable i would say your looking at a 4. I did get some irritation with the razor when shaving little growth which usually isn't an issue. The design looks great and the grip on the handle is very good.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

0 847
 07-19-2015, 03:03 AM
User Info
I owned the double oc any my honest opinion was that it was a terrible razor. Found myself doing more than my usual number of passes. The quality wasn't good either seemed very cheap to me plating not great and very light weight. This is just my opinion, I've used Ikons, razorock, merkur, Gillette, safety razors to name a few and I'd choose anyone over those. It was more of a gimmick razor in my opinion. That's the only razor I have tried from Phoenix but it has lead me not to care to try another one. Now their soaps and software products are great. It's almost like a good soap company trying to make razors as well.  I'd spend my money elsewhere.

79 824
 07-19-2015, 11:52 AM
User Info
Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. I think I will look at other options instead.

13 947
 07-19-2015, 12:02 PM
User Info
Try a Pearl, Razorock  or Cadet Open comb head. Good aggressiveness. Should be a very similar head

21 1,175
 07-19-2015, 12:04 PM
User Info
(07-19-2015, 12:02 PM)Bibbelmann Wrote: Try a Pearl, Razorock  or Cadet Open comb head. Good aggressiveness. Should be a very similar head

Thank you.

13 947
 07-19-2015, 01:56 PM
User Info
I also found the Phoenix OC razor too mild! It was one of the mildest shavers I have tried and had to do too many passes to get a decent shave, so I gave it to a friend to start shaving her legs with and she absolutely loves it. Go figure!  Biggrin
The quality was average as it was a zamak/pot-metal head.

83 21,081
 07-20-2015, 06:05 PM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
Any product associated with Douglas Smythe is a non starter for me based upon principle. There are many other options out there that make it easy for me to avoid his products. 
I also commend and support those vendors who refuse to carry his products.

48 679
 07-24-2015, 06:04 AM
User Info
The PAA Double OC razor is not the same as the Symmetry or Name Taker as the OP asked about.  The Symmetry OC (shares the same head as the Name Taker) is an aggressive razor, very similar to the RR Jaws/Cadet/Pearl.  They all run about the same price, but I personally like the looks of the Symmetry handle a bit better than the other options. 

I ended up selling my Symmetry because it was too much for me to use as a daily shaver, and because I'm not into collecting razors or hanging on to things I don't use regularly.  From what I have read the SB version is a lot more tame but still offers a very close shave.

10 407
 07-24-2015, 06:52 AM
User Info
I am using the Pearl branded version of the Symmetry OC head with a very sharp Sputnik blade these days. With a low angle and no pressure my stubble is flying off like a zipper opening. The low angle is crticial, as is using no pressure and careful technique.

The other razor,the dual OC is an item I bought out of interest but it turned out to be a copy of an older design, which they did not pay any tribute to but have claimed  ingenuity.....   Quality is sub par, cast zamac with visual residues of the casting within the comb.

Now, the Symmetry head is from the same company that makes the cadet and pearl, and Razorock Jaws razors, again not what you might think it is (paa). But it is wellmade and I like using it. Get one of these, if you can find it as a cadet or pearl product, compare prices

Philipp

21 1,175
 07-24-2015, 07:37 AM
User Info
I have been using the "Name Taker" head on an iKon handle and it's a beautiful and comfortable shaver. You can't beat the price for what you get.

121 13,127
 07-24-2015, 08:34 AM
User Info
I have the Phoenix open comb, its a pearl razor head with an awesome handle . The knurling on the handle rivals my ikon oss.

As far as aggressiveness goes if the r41 13 is a 10 I'd rate the fatip an 8 and the symetry about a 7-7.5 . To me its smoother than the fatip and my symetry doesn't have the blade alignment issues my fatip has.

IMO its worth the price because of the handle. I'll be honest I rarely use the head anymore ,but I use the handle a lot.

3 1,356