07-19-2015, 04:48 AM
User Info
I thought stainless steels were immune to rusting, but this seems to have managed to get rust on the surface.
I traded my razor to get this head + plate, when I asekd the seller about the spot, the trader was pretty confident that it wasn't rust, but when I received it, it sure as hell looks like rust spots.

If I can fix it, I will probably keep it, but if it's something that going to give me problem down the road, I will have to return it and get my item back (Sorry Jack)

Here's some pics.

I was thinking maybe the razor wasn't dried properly for a very long time.  Maybe he was using a blade that rusts more than other stainless blades?

Any thought, ideas, suggestions are appreciated.

53 760
 07-19-2015, 04:59 AM
User Info
Looks like possible transfer from a blade. Not seeing it in person makes it hard to tell. Try using a good polish and see if it comes off. Stainless steel is not perfect and can stain and even rust overtime depending on the type used. I hope you get everything sorted out!

148 3,603
 07-19-2015, 05:02 AM
  • N8Julo43
  • Red Whisker Wrangler
  • Mizzou-RAH, USA
User Info
I believe those will end up being tea stains instead of actual rust. Just like on stainless steel cookware or sinks. In this case, it was most likely caused by blades that were left in the razor head to dry. They can be prevented by disassembling the razor after each use and then put it all back together after everything is dry. Trapped moisture can lead to tea stains on the surface. You can use a toothbrush and baking soda to lightly scrub the surface. This should remove the stains. It is recommended to use equal parts baking soda and water in to a dish mixed in to a paste. 1 tablespoon water with 1 tablespoon baking soda should be plenty.

26 261
 07-19-2015, 05:09 AM
User Info
Since ATT uses 303 stainless instead of the better 316 it's probably more prone to staining. Trying soaking in Scrubbing Bubbles.

122 13,222
 07-19-2015, 05:15 AM
User Info
That is some dirt you have there.. I ´d reckon!

Let us know if this is from a blade or the stain-less steel used

21 1,175
 07-19-2015, 05:16 AM
User Info
(07-19-2015, 05:02 AM)N8Julo43 Wrote: I believe those will end up being tea stains instead of actual rust. Just like on stainless steel cookware or sinks. In this case, it was most likely caused by blades that were left in the razor head to dry. They can be prevented by disassembling the razor after each use and then put it all back together after everything is dry. Trapped moisture can lead to tea stains on the surface. You can use a toothbrush and baking soda to lightly scrub the surface. This should remove the stains. It is recommended to use equal parts baking soda and water in to a dish mixed in to a paste. 1 tablespoon water with 1 tablespoon baking soda should be plenty.

lifesaver! I will try that.  Never thought we had to dry the razors after each use.  That would be so much of a hassle even for an enthusiast.

53 760
 07-19-2015, 05:17 AM
User Info
(07-19-2015, 05:09 AM)slantman Wrote: Since ATT uses 303 stainless instead of the better 316 it's probably more prone to staining. Trying soaking in Scrubbing Bubbles.

will try that as well.
Gotta pull out good ole toothbrush to get the job done!

53 760
 07-19-2015, 05:18 AM
  • N8Julo43
  • Red Whisker Wrangler
  • Mizzou-RAH, USA
User Info
(07-19-2015, 05:16 AM)parachutefactory Wrote:
(07-19-2015, 05:02 AM)N8Julo43 Wrote: I believe those will end up being tea stains instead of actual rust. Just like on stainless steel cookware or sinks. In this case, it was most likely caused by blades that were left in the razor head to dry. They can be prevented by disassembling the razor after each use and then put it all back together after everything is dry. Trapped moisture can lead to tea stains on the surface. You can use a toothbrush and baking soda to lightly scrub the surface. This should remove the stains. It is recommended to use equal parts baking soda and water in to a dish mixed in to a paste. 1 tablespoon water with 1 tablespoon baking soda should be plenty.

lifesaver! I will try that.  Never thought we had to dry the razors after each use.  That would be so much of a hassle even for an enthusiast.
 I felt the same way when I got my stainless head, but after doing it a few times, it has been part of my routine. After the shave I lay out the handle, the base plate, top cap, and blade on a hand towel and blot it all lightly with the towel to get any water off the surface. Since I shave at night, by the morning everything has dried.

26 261
 07-19-2015, 05:28 AM
User Info
(07-19-2015, 05:18 AM)N8Julo43 Wrote:
(07-19-2015, 05:16 AM)parachutefactory Wrote:

I felt the same way when I got my stainless head, but after doing it a few times, it has been part of my routine. After the shave I lay out the handle, the base plate, top cap, and blade on a hand towel and blot it all lightly with the towel to get any water off the surface. Since I shave at night, by the morning everything has dried.

So if that has to be the routine to upkeep the razor in pristine condition, what is the purpose of using stainless steel? just for structural rigidity?
It's just hard to believe something touted as premium razor gets rusted so easily by not drying them daily. 

It's certainly doable, but who really wants to dissemble the razor after each shave..

Hopefully my LABBS1 and wolfman are safe from this issue.  I heard that they use a different grade steel.

53 760
 07-19-2015, 05:36 AM
User Info
(07-19-2015, 05:28 AM)parachutefactory Wrote:
(07-19-2015, 05:16 AM)parachutefactory Wrote: lifesaver! I will try that.  Never thought we had to dry the razors after each use.  That would be so much of a hassle even for an enthusiast.

So if that has to be the routine to upkeep the razor in pristine condition, what is the purpose of using stainless steel? just for structural rigidity?
It's just hard to believe something touted as premium razor gets rusted so easily by not drying them daily. 

It's certainly doable, but who really wants to dissemble the razor after each shave..

Hopefully my LABBS1 and wolfman are safe from this issue.  I heard that they use a different grade steel.

It's really only a couple seconds of your life. Don't look at it as the razor being the problem but the blade. No matter what quality stainless is used or the maker of the razor, if a blade is left over long periods of time and nothing taken care off, it will leave stains. I treat my razor like my tools in my tool box. Wipe off after each use and placed in their proper location. Better care taken extends the life of whatever you use.

148 3,603
 07-19-2015, 05:36 AM
  • N8Julo43
  • Red Whisker Wrangler
  • Mizzou-RAH, USA
User Info
(07-19-2015, 05:16 AM)parachutefactory Wrote: lifesaver! I will try that.  Never thought we had to dry the razors after each use.  That would be so much of a hassle even for an enthusiast.

I wouldn't say you are at a huge risk that it is a requirement to do this after every shave, it has just become more of an OCD routine for me. Haha! 

The issue is more of the blade than the razor. The blade is the one staining and the stain is transferring to the steel. You are correct, though, and as Jerry stated above, other types of stainless steel are less of a risk for this issue.

26 261
 07-19-2015, 05:37 AM
  • N8Julo43
  • Red Whisker Wrangler
  • Mizzou-RAH, USA
User Info
(07-19-2015, 05:36 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote:
(07-19-2015, 05:18 AM)N8Julo43 Wrote:  I felt the same way when I got my stainless head, but after doing it a few times, it has been part of my routine. After the shave I lay out the handle, the base plate, top cap, and blade on a hand towel and blot it all lightly with the towel to get any water off the surface. Since I shave at night, by the morning everything has dried.

It's really only a couple seconds of your life. Don't look at it as the razor being the problem but the blade. No matter what quality stainless is used or the maker of the razor, if a blade is left over long periods of time and nothing taken care off, it will leave stains. I treat my razor like my tools in my tool box. Wipe off after each use and placed in their proper location. Better care taken extends the life of whatever you use.

Exactly, Freddie. +1

26 261
 07-19-2015, 05:39 AM
User Info
Stainless steel, be 303 or 316, is not rust proof and it has to be taken care of.  

That's one of those marketing myths. Keep it dry and it won't rust.  

Soaps and water contain minerals that can cause the steel to rust.  If you leave a Wolfman or BBS-1 expose to the elements, trust me, it will rust.

You don't have to take my word for it, is just plain science and there are plenty of info on the Internet.  My experience with steel comes from making handmade golf putters.  Even German Stainless Steel, which is the grail for putters, will rust and stain if not properly taken care of.

61 3,796
 07-19-2015, 05:46 AM
User Info
seems like I will have to develop OCD just like you guys. I think I will develop it pretty naturally having seen this happening.
Oh well, here I come with my wet towel to clean my 4 razors in current rotation.

53 760
 07-19-2015, 05:50 AM
  • N8Julo43
  • Red Whisker Wrangler
  • Mizzou-RAH, USA
User Info
(07-19-2015, 05:46 AM)parachutefactory Wrote: seems like I will have to develop OCD just like you guys. I think I will develop it pretty naturally having seen this happening.
Oh well, here I come with my wet towel to clean my 4 razors in current rotation.

Yeah, it will definitely come naturally. With the kind of investment that comes along with an ATT, Wolfman, PILS, etc., I just try to do my part to make sure it lasts forever

26 261
 07-19-2015, 06:01 AM
User Info
(07-19-2015, 05:46 AM)parachutefactory Wrote: seems like I will have to develop OCD just like you guys. I think I will develop it pretty naturally having seen this happening.

It won't take you long, once you start doing it it just becomes part of the routine.  A good rinse and a good dry should be all you need.  Also, if you are going to store them for a little while, take a small amount of mineral oil and rub the cap and base with it.

61 3,796
 07-19-2015, 06:05 AM
User Info
(07-19-2015, 06:01 AM)hrfdez Wrote:

It won't take you long, once you start doing it it just becomes part of the routine.  A good rinse and a good dry should be all you need.  Also, if you are going to store them for a little while, take a small amount of mineral oil and rub the cap and base with it.

Thanks for the tip.
My usual routine is rinsing it with running water, shake it off, then hang.

Oh well, time to change it, otherwise, it will cost another arm and leg to buy these again.

53 760
 07-19-2015, 06:13 AM
User Info
(07-19-2015, 06:05 AM)parachutefactory Wrote:
(07-19-2015, 06:01 AM)hrfdez Wrote:

Thanks for the tip.

Oh well, time to change it, otherwise, it will cost another arm and leg to buy these again.

Don't think of it as more times added or yet another step. It actually took you longer to type a response than it will to take apart your razor and let it dry.

148 3,603
 07-19-2015, 06:21 AM
User Info
(07-19-2015, 06:13 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote:
(07-19-2015, 06:05 AM)parachutefactory Wrote:
(07-19-2015, 06:01 AM)hrfdez Wrote: It won't take you long, once you start doing it it just becomes part of the routine.  A good rinse and a good dry should be all you need.  Also, if you are going to store them for a little while, take a small amount of mineral oil and rub the cap and base with it.

Thanks for the tip.

Don't think of it as more times added or yet another step. It actually took you longer to type a response than it will to take apart your razor and let it dry.

that is true my man.

53 760
 07-19-2015, 06:52 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I haven't had any issues with mine. I just swish it in a container of alcohol and blow it dry.

3 587