07-20-2015, 08:12 AM
User Info
In the quest for an authentic Lamb Doner or Shawarma  or a good emulsion kebab (think hot dog emulsion/sludge) I have bought a home Vertical Grill/Rotisserie. It looks a lot bigger in real life!  Rolleyes

[Image: $_35.JPG]

0 278
 07-20-2015, 08:30 AM
User Info
I love a great doner/gyro. You'll be able to make them for the entire town!

32 6,445
 07-20-2015, 08:55 AM
User Info
I did use to enjoy a high street Kebab, but now they rarely contain Lamb. I do enjoy a Shawarma, I have to journey to another City to enjoy it. I have never tried an authentic Doner which is only found in Turkey. I imagine it will be like the Shawarma without the vinegar/lemon marinade which affects the flavour....

0 278
 07-20-2015, 12:48 PM
User Info
There was a standup eatery that my wife and I went to when we lived in NJ (550 miles to the southwest) more than 30 years ago. It was in the Willowbrook Mall and called "The Acropolis". When we were there we tried to time it so that we could buy a gyro or souvlaki; both were excellent, but I have no idea if they were authentic. My wife swears the souvlaki were made with lamb, but we've used lamb to make them and it wasn't lamb. I know lamb. Then I was able to obtain 1/2 a goat. That was the meat in the souvlaki! My wife still swears it was lamb, but I know what it was now. It was a white meat and didn't have the flavor of lamb. I know lamb quite well as I eat it frequently, she doesn't. Clueless.

Have you tried the Americas Test Kitchen recipe for gyro? It's quite good. Not traditionally made, but without a vertical rotisserie it can't be, it's grilled instead. Maybe the ATK  meat mixture will work for you?

I wish I had an Acropolis souvlaki or gyro tonight! Man, they were unforgettably good!

You could visit Canada and get a doner. That's how I know of them. I have no idea how authentic they are, never having had one. I just know of them and that they exist. It might be less costly for you to go to Greece or Turkey. :-)

Anyway, cool rotisserie! Not everyone has one of those!

32 6,445
 07-20-2015, 01:49 PM
User Info
Authentic Doner is whole lamb pieces mixed with patties i.e. minced lamb with lots of tail fat or large chunks of tail fat. Modern Kebabs are made with an emulsion similar to Frankfurters - 60 to 70% meat, water, and rusk.  They use to be 100% Lamb (of the meat content) but are very rarely now a days . They could be Chicken, Beef, or Turkey or a mixture.  In Holland it is veal/kalf, it tastes like a mystery meat from Mars. Souvlaki is made with Lamb in the UK, so effectively is Shish Kebab/Lahem Meshwi. Most Greeks I have met insist Souvlaki and Gyros is Pork in Greece. Maybe it was Mutton or Pork? Can you tell Mutton from Goat meat? Goat meat is the only exotic meat I enjoy as Ostrich, Wild Boar, Bison, and Venison have all been binned quickly after tasting. I will check out America's Test Kitchen, but at the moment it wants me to sign up to Cooks Illustrated...

0 278
 07-20-2015, 01:54 PM
User Info
I had a young goat roasted in Greece and it was.... good! It was what they did for a celebration in Kerkyra...
Goat is the real deal, you said it I d say so too.

21 1,175
 07-20-2015, 02:21 PM
User Info
I definitely know Mutton when it's present. It was not mutton. Neither is it pork. I tried that. What I had was definitely goat. No question in my mind about it.

What I can't attest to is what you've had or what other folks have had. What I had was over 30 years ago. They might use tofu today for all I know.

32 6,445