07-20-2015, 07:58 PM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
I'll let my nose make the final call but I was already leaning ether lime or cuppa joe

16 791
 07-21-2015, 02:31 AM
User Info
(07-20-2015, 06:31 PM)celestino Wrote:
(07-20-2015, 04:22 PM)Cricket203 Wrote: I don't know why she hasn't looked into vetiver scent . Shocked !!

I believe Michelle is thinking of working on a Fougere, but hasn't attempted Vetiver, yet, sadly. I would also, very much, welcome both from her!  Shy

+1 Fougere & vetiver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 07-23-2015, 05:42 PM
User Info
I gave MW coconut another shot today and the results were mixed yet again. I loaded the soap for nearly two minutes using a pretty dry brush. Every 20 seconds or so I would add in a couple drops of water. I wanted to make sure 'not enough product' was not the issue.

The lather was alright, but I felt like I REALLY had to work it in, so much so it was a chore. Even still, I saw some dissipation on the second and third passes. The shave was fine, slick protective, everything you would want in a great shave soap. Also the post shave was superb.

However, I have several soaps that work just as well with a quarter of the load time/time working it into a pretty good lather. I'll continue to use the soap and really get to know it, but I may be putting this on the 'do not repurchase list'.

17 315
 07-23-2015, 06:16 PM
User Info
Joe, it must be those massive brushes you are using!  Tongue  It is unfortunate that we live so far as I would gladly come over for a tutorial and some tea!   Shy

83 21,098
 07-23-2015, 06:49 PM
User Info
Celestino,
              That's the beauty of the internet. You don't have to go visit him when you can Skype instead.

Tim

0 58
 07-23-2015, 10:34 PM
User Info
Heh! I had never thought of that! Biggrin

83 21,098
 07-23-2015, 10:52 PM
User Info
How much will you charge for a Skype tutorial Celestino? I know I could use one. AND I really enjoy tea! Tongue 

JLB2287, I echo your comments. I have had the same issue the last 3 times I have used MW. It really seems like the key is in the loading and how much you can whip and work the lather. I still have trouble dialing it in.

81 1,353
 07-24-2015, 02:01 AM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
I had the same issue with mixed results in the beginning with MW Soaps. I could only get a decent lather with one of my brushes.   I then loaded some in a old soap stick container and this turned out to work much better.  No loading time and by adding water slowly as I face lather, I get great results every time.

7 1,260
 07-24-2015, 04:36 AM
User Info
(07-24-2015, 02:01 AM)clint64 Wrote: I had the same issue with mixed results in the beginning with MW Soaps. I could only get a decent lather with one of my brushes.   I then loaded some in a old soap stick container and this turned out to work much better.  No loading time and by adding water slowly as I face lather, I get great results every time.

Sounds like Celestino's fool proof method!

75 2,305
 07-24-2015, 05:45 AM
User Info
Anyone have thoughts on the MW Orange Spice Tea?

4 475
 07-24-2015, 06:11 AM
User Info
(07-24-2015, 05:45 AM)Cincinnatus Wrote: Anyone have thoughts on the MW Orange Spice Tea?

Funny, I literally just finished shaving with it. I thought the scent was really good, but too faint for me.

16 249
 07-24-2015, 06:18 AM
User Info
(07-24-2015, 04:36 AM)merkur man Wrote:
(07-24-2015, 02:01 AM)clint64 Wrote: I had the same issue with mixed results in the beginning with MW Soaps. I could only get a decent lather with one of my brushes.   I then loaded some in a old soap stick container and this turned out to work much better.  No loading time and by adding water slowly as I face lather, I get great results every time.

Very nice, Nathan, and I still think this is probably the best way to lather any soap, but what do I know. Biggrin

The Orange Spice Tea is quite nice; a lovely orange peel scent mixed with earl grey tea.  Smile

83 21,098
 07-24-2015, 06:19 AM
User Info
(07-23-2015, 10:52 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: How much will you charge for a Skype tutorial Celestino? I know I could use one. AND I really enjoy tea! Tongue 

JLB2287, I echo your comments. I have had the same issue the last 3 times I have used MW. It really seems like the key is in the loading and how much you can whip and work the lather. I still have trouble dialing it in.

Zac, I have never considered this, but I am not very adept with technological gadgets!  Biggrin

83 21,098
 07-24-2015, 09:50 AM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
(07-24-2015, 04:36 AM)merkur man Wrote:

I did read a post where he recommended the method to someone having trouble.

7 1,260
 07-25-2015, 04:46 AM
User Info
Celestino's method works wonderfully because it doesn't rely on the brush picking up the amount of soap necessary to generate a wonderful lather, because the soap is applied directly to the face in as thick of a layer as you desire.  It works every time. If you are like me and prefer to use a brush to load the soap instead of rubbing the puck on your face or using one of Michelle's shave sticks the absolute key with Mystic Waters is getting enough soap loaded on to the brush.  
I'd like to describe how I load Mystic Waters soap, certainly there are many methods to do this successfully, I am merely describing the method that works best/most-consistently for me.  I have found the key to loading my brush is learning to look for the right consistency of the proto-lather rather than relying on a time spent loading.  It is my belief that Mystic Waters is so slick that brushes don't like to pick it up unless you can generate the proper friction which is pretty easy to do once you've played around with it a little bit.  This friction is created when there is just the right amount of water on the brush and contacting the soap.  Too much water and the bristles just wont pick up the amount of soap you think they would and appear to do. the proper amount of friction doesn't mean that you need to really mash your brush into the soap while you load either, you can know that you are generating the proper amount of friction when you start to build a proto-lather that begins to look like your brush is pushing around a bunch of shaving cream that has yet to be lathered. Once you have this type of proto-lather you can go to your face or bowl and slowly add water and work the lather to create the type of lather that Mystic Waters is known for.  Here are a few pictures that demonstrate what I am talking about.  I start with a well wrung out brush and add a couple of drops of water (Literally 2-3 drops of water, no more!) followed by continued loading and a few more drops until the proto-lather looks right (see last photo, for what good Mystic Waters proto Lather looks like).
[Image: 2e0l04h.jpg]
[Image: aonSDGQ.jpg][Image: ATjrHfC.jpg][Image: vUG23bl.jpg]
If I hadn't stopped to take the photos, this process takes me around 30-45 seconds.

The resulting lather looks like this...near perfection if you ask me!
[Image: DddnJPJ.jpg]

Two other things I have noticed that help with lathering Mystic Waters. 
1- Higher loft brushes work better because they tend to have superior flow through.  When you think that you haven't generated a very good lather with your lower lofted brush, squeeze the lather out of the knot and you'll be surprised with what you will find (superior lather stuck in the knot).  I find that Mystic Waters is so rich that it doesn't like to come out of the knot, so using a brush with better flow through helps an awful lot.
2- This is really just an extension of #1, if you have a brush with a synthetic knot, try it out with Mystic Waters, they do what I have described above very nicely. 

Let me know if any of these tips help you achieve the lather you are looking for.

75 2,305
 07-25-2015, 05:37 AM
User Info
Excellent tutorial and pics, Nathan.
Definitely, the key to MW is using enough product. Furthermore, as you say, higher lofted brushes work best. I think I've said enough times how long I struggled with this soap, however, acquiring my first synthetic completely transformed the process. First use of the Muhle synthetic truly opened my eyes as to what this soap is capable of. Was it not for the synthetic, I would have continued, disappointed. You are spot on. These higher lofted brushes with better flow through are ideal for whipping up the lather. I have always gone for lower lofted brushes, preferring the scrubbier feel they provide. I'm now tending to go for another 2 or 3 mm on my lofts. Classic example is my coral Chubby 2 Manchurian. Loft is only around 49/50. A superb brush, super soft hair, and great scrubby feeling, but I still cant get a decent lather from it using Mystic Water soaps. Works well for others, just not these soaps.

31 5,292
 07-25-2015, 05:55 AM
User Info
I agreed with David, I used M7 and or EJ synthetic and it works great with mystic soaps.

61 3,072
 07-25-2015, 08:18 AM
User Info
(07-25-2015, 05:37 AM)Optometrist Wrote: Excellent tutorial and pics, Nathan.
Definitely, the key to MW is using enough product. Furthermore, as you say, higher lofted brushes work best. I think I've said enough times how long I struggled with this soap, however, acquiring my first synthetic completely transformed the process. First use of the Muhle synthetic truly opened my eyes as to what this soap is capable of. Was it not for the synthetic, I would have continued, disappointed. You are spot on. These higher lofted brushes with better flow through are ideal for whipping up the lather. I have always gone for lower lofted brushes, preferring the scrubbier feel they provide. I'm now tending to go for another 2 or 3 mm on my lofts. Classic example is my coral Chubby 2 Manchurian. Loft is only around 49/50. A superb brush, super soft hair, and great scrubby feeling, but I still cant get a decent lather from it using Mystic Water soaps. Works well for others, just not these soaps.

You're welcome David, I hope my observations are helpful to the shavers not yet converted to the magic of Mystic Waters! It really is amazing stuff especially once you're able to lather it properly.

75 2,305
 07-25-2015, 08:53 AM
User Info
Well written Nathan. I agree that the synthetic brush is IDEAL for MW, especially one with some backbone, such as the Simpson.

39 3,936
 07-25-2015, 10:30 AM
User Info
I completely forgot to add the most important photo...the one that will make you keep trying Mystic Waters, the lather shot! Here you go! Updated previous post as well. Note the spectacular sheen and the lack of large air bubbles.  This is thick, rich and full of great stuff to make your face feel amazing after you shave! Soap is Poggio dei Pini

[Image: scpbRix.jpg]

75 2,305