07-20-2015, 10:06 AM
User Info
For those who can remember far back, I did ponder out loud a couple of years ago about getting a small wood lathe... no, I havn't gotten one, but after finding a pair of horizontal drill mounts in my dads workshop, as well as a grinder attachment for the drill, I did mock up a home made wood lathe today.

[Image: 8agjJGx.jpg]

It sort of works, even if I just have a couple of rasps to remove the wood with so far. It would have worked much better if I hadn't done a bad when grinding the drive spur, something I didn't notice until after it was time to pack away and have dinner...

[Image: b2uMZXi.jpg]

Yupp, I ground the spur for clockwise rotation, when it should been ground for counter-clockwise rotation... small wonder the wood kept slipping loose. Luckily I know how to fix, and might have a go at that tomorrow.

If lathe working is as much fun as lathe making, a proper lathe will definitly go on my wishlist Biggrin

/Edit: update further down the thread

3 4,479
 07-20-2015, 10:16 AM
User Info
Good thinking.  Have you turned a brush handle yet?

I found this link on the Inet for using a drill press as a lathe.

Same theory, just a vertical set-up Biggrin.

Ed

22 752
 07-20-2015, 10:21 AM
User Info
So far just learning what I can and can't do... brush handles will be down the road a bit I think Tongue

3 4,479
 07-20-2015, 12:06 PM
User Info
Good idea Hans!

A company over here sold a similar arrangement quite a few years ago. They might still, I don't know. My brother gave me his but I just haven't had time to play with it yet. Like you I have no lathe tools either and knowing me I'd be tempted to use a knife instead and slice a hand off.

Since you have a grinder I wonder if a leaf spring couldn't be ground into a decent skew or parting tool? If one has access to a freebie it would only cost some time.

I can post a picture of the electric drill operated arrangement if you have an interest.

32 6,458
 07-20-2015, 12:56 PM
User Info
Probably, yes... not sure if the grinding wheel is up for it, but worth a shot.

Similar setups are available in the US as far as I can tell from the 'net, but it is fun making something from what odds and ends I have laying around. So far the project has cost me some time, and a coffee's worth of new parts.

3 4,479
 07-20-2015, 04:23 PM
User Info
Best of luck to you, Hans!  Thumbsup

82 21,077
 07-20-2015, 04:52 PM
User Info
Very resourceful! Looking forward to updates.

0 54
 08-16-2015, 07:32 AM
User Info
Had some time to play around again today - Real Life and the weather has conspired against me - and had a good time.

I can't make the drive spur work as intended, so I'm reduced to drilling a hole clean through and use a bolt to mount the work piece to the horisontal drill. And since I drill freehand... making the hole straight down the center is hard. Even so, the results are encouraging and I was having a great time turning overly dry 2x2 pieces of soft pine into round things Biggrin

On the left is today's first attempt, on the right the last. I'm getting better at controlling the rasps, but the idea to use some teak oil I found in the back of the shelf wasn't terrible successful.

[Image: 6iU7h2Z.jpg]

I should probably invest in an affordable drillpress - which I've been wanting anyway - and dig out the fine grain sandpaper from the drawer. But I'm having fun, and that is 2/3rds of the point of the whole thing Smile

3 4,479
 08-30-2015, 09:43 AM
User Info
I'm getting a bit better - mostly, I think, due to the fact that a lot more care was taken in drilling out the hole for the bolt used to secure it to the chuck of the horizontally mounted drill (hurrah for reasonable priced drill presses).

And yes, I'm still making simulated brush handles. They are a convenient size to work with, and are something I can easily relate to.

[Image: 2015-08-30%2B15.23.59.jpg]

Personally I'm having great fun doing this. it is very satisfying to take a piece of wastewood from the kindling pile and in the span of half an hour turn it into something. Watching a thing take shape is quite rewarding, and while I can't see myself turning wood for a living I can see myself making shaving brush handles and other odds and ends as a hobby.

3 4,479
 08-30-2015, 06:43 PM
User Info
Very cool Hans!  Thanks for sharing it!

61 3,796
 08-30-2015, 08:37 PM
User Info
Very awesome Hans! I hope to take some inspiration from you! I would like a high end badger but dont want to pay high end badger money. The thrill of the fabricate is quite apealing, one of a kind for sure.

0 54
 08-31-2015, 04:00 AM
User Info
If you have a drill (and a way to mount it), a few rasps, some sandpaper and some wood.. go for it. It's great fun Smile

3 4,479