07-21-2015, 05:33 AM
User Info
Are Fatip razors still made out of brass?

1 42
 07-21-2015, 05:34 AM
User Info
I believe so.....

61 3,796
 07-21-2015, 09:52 AM
User Info
Mine is only 3-4 months old and it says something about brass on the box,I'd look for you but I tossed it.

3 1,356
 07-21-2015, 10:48 AM
User Info
That is what the box says. Be careful though. Some companies like edwin jaggersay solid brass "frame" when the head or what they call "fittings" are made of pot metal or"cast metal" as they might say.

18 713
 07-21-2015, 01:23 PM
User Info
I am pretty sure they are still all brass, including the head.
Which is an exception...

21 1,175
 07-24-2015, 04:20 PM
User Info
Unless it is a very recent change then yes, the Fatips are still plated brass.

20 108
 07-24-2015, 08:12 PM
User Info
Some people are not sure because they took the word "brass" off the box. But it has been confirmed they are still all brass. I love my gold plated one. You can't beat it for the price.

[Image: Dez5eea.jpg]

5 1,537
 07-25-2015, 12:03 AM
User Info
Sounds good. Juan from Gifts & Care also confirmed the Fatip's handles are brass. The heads however are made of some pressed metal compound.

I have a gold and a gunmetal Grande coming up from Spain in three - four days or so. The pic of the gold Grande is nice. Good 'old fashion' style looking razor

Does somebody have the answer to this question: where are Fatip's produced? I know they originate(d) from Italy. Over on a German shaving site ('Nassrasur') however I read that the company who originally made or sold them (a different name that I forgot) ceased to be. Are we buying old stock?

Cheers

Tilly

1 42
 07-25-2015, 12:44 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(07-25-2015, 12:03 AM)Tilly1648 Wrote: Does somebody have the answer to this question: where are Fatip's produced? 

Fatip is distributed by Morocutti and manufactured by PAFARO of Ilario Fazzini, both in Italy.

The production of the razor commenced in the early '50s with an unspecified company in Milan. Pafaro, a manufacturer of scissors, soon took over, but only produced the razor for a few years. In the mid-1980s, after new systems of processing, production was resumed and the brand Fatip was introduced for the first time. 

The pre 2009 Muhle R89 head and Premax brands (e.g. Fatip in the Australian market) are also Fatip. So is Joris, although it is hand finished in France and plated in palladium.

The Fatip is certainly a keen investment, however the Joris provides me with a more comfortable shave...

99 18,011
 07-25-2015, 05:23 AM
User Info
It does make for a nice travel razor.

61 3,796
 07-25-2015, 05:55 AM
User Info
(07-25-2015, 12:03 AM)Tilly1648 Wrote: Sounds good. Juan from Gifts & Care also confirmed the Fatip's handles are brass. The heads however are made of some pressed metal compound.

Pot metal in other words.

18 713
 07-25-2015, 06:27 AM
User Info
Interesting, thanks for the info.  It was my understanding the whole thing was brass.

61 3,796
 07-25-2015, 06:53 AM
User Info
Just because some guy says they are made from a "pressed metal compound" does not make it so. On another thread about this subject, I believe someone asked the company itself, Fatip if the head was still made of brass and they said it was.

5 1,537
 07-25-2015, 07:02 AM
User Info
(07-25-2015, 06:53 AM)shave/brush Wrote: Just because some guy says they are made from a "pressed metal compound" does not make it so. On another thread about this subject, I believe someone asked the company itself, Fatip if the head was still made of brass and they said it was.

Yes, I saw that thread and even some retailers listed as such.  Confusing  Wink

61 3,796
 07-25-2015, 07:35 AM
User Info
(07-25-2015, 06:53 AM)shave/brush Wrote: Just because some guy says they are made from a "pressed metal compound" does not make it so. On another thread about this subject, I believe someone asked the company itself, Fatip if the head was still made of brass and they said it was.

I'm not going to believe it until I see some proof. Just because a guy says another guy said a company rep said it was brass does not make it so. I would believe it if ssomeone did testing for density or someone cut the head in half. 

oftentimes customer service reps don't even know. Oftentimes they just repeat lines of a paper and have absolutely no knowledge about the manufacturing process. The line from Dorco, for example is that the ST 300 is the same as the ST 301.  Lord says all their blades are the same but with packaging from different regions. Obviously there is some discrepancy.

Customer service reps are trained in marketing double speak. I had to read carefully between the lines when Edwin Jagger admitted via email that their heads where made of pot metal for even their high end Chattsworth razors. They wrote something along the lines of "solid brass except the razor blade fittings"  I can easily see someone getting confused by such a statement. With Fatips there is the additional barrier of language.

18 713
 07-25-2015, 10:00 AM
User Info
I too once asked Edwin Jagger company if their razor heads were made of brass. A direct question. They gave me an indirect answer which never answered my question. Finally they admitted it was not brass. I can't find the thread on the Fatip but if I recall the rep explained why the word brass was removed from the box.
There is no reason to believe otherwise that anything has changed.

If you 'hrfdez' have a link to the Fatip thread that talked about it, please put a link here.

5 1,537
 07-25-2015, 04:36 PM
User Info
I don't think I read it here, I think it was at _&_  some time ago.  But hey, if they are not brass they are not brass.  I am not surprised, for the price what else you can ask for.   I do know they were advertised as such in the past, which is why they were so appealing, specially to new DE shavers.

61 3,796
 07-25-2015, 05:03 PM
User Info
I read the same thing about the razors being all brass. Honestly for the price even if it is a lot metal head your still getting a good deal. About 80% of my razors are pot metal and I have never had a problem out of any of them. Sure if you drop it it may break,so dont drop it. I'll never not buy a razor I wanted because of what it was or was not made of they are razors not hand tools so how much punishment do they need to be able to take?

3 1,356
 07-25-2015, 05:08 PM
User Info
(07-25-2015, 05:03 PM)Otis375 Wrote: I read the same thing about the razors being all brass. Honestly for the price even if it is a lot metal head your still getting a good deal. About 80% of my razors are pot metal and I have never had a problem out of any of them. Sure if you drop it it may break,so dont drop it. I'll never not buy a razor I wanted because of what it was or was not made of they are razors not hand tools so how much punishment do they need to be able to take?

I agree with this but it's a little sweeter deal knowing they are made of brass. From what I have read they are still made of brass.

5 1,537
 07-25-2015, 08:37 PM
User Info
If the head is brass then it will be magnetic if you use a strong enough magnet. The pot metal may not be magnetic, but if it happens to have a high percentage of iron in it then it will be. Other ways to test are by weight and by sound. Brass is heavier than pot metal and will also sound different if you hit it with something metal.

Okay, brass is obviously technically not magnetic. But if a strong enough magnet is used it will attract as if it is magnetic due to eddie currents. I was trying to think of a way to distinguish brass from pot metal, and pot metal as far as I know if almost always not magnetic. I'm not metallurgist either though, just recall learning about this before. Weight and sound would be better tests. I don't mind if my head is pot metal though so I have never tried any of these.

13 947