07-21-2015, 08:00 AM
User Info
So this past two weeks I have spent time on the Mississippi Gulf Coast for my annual two weeks of military. For the first time in a few years I bought a can of Barbasol and went to town with a Shick Hydro. After a week I started noticing the bumps that I always had pre-wet shaving. Well, usually I always use a cartridge to clean up after using a Schick injector. My conclusions are that while I still despise multi-blade cartridges, even though I use them for a touch up pass, it's really the can goo that is terrible for us or maybe just my skin. This morning I was back to using my injector and the Hyrdl for a touch up pass with Soap Commander Gusto and the results were fantastic. I can ready tell the difference from using can goo to a natural made soap. Also, I might have to move to the coast full time as I noticed the water there was super soft and did create some amaZing lather on my last day of shaving this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 1,008
 07-21-2015, 09:37 AM
User Info
If you want uber-soft water, you should consider Portland, Seattle or Vancouver (Canada). Biggrin

83 21,109
 07-21-2015, 09:41 AM
User Info
(07-21-2015, 08:00 AM)tsimmns Wrote: So this past two weeks I have spent time on the Mississippi Gulf Coast for my annual two weeks of military.  For the first time in a few years I bought a can of Barbasol and went to town with a Shick Hydro.   After a week I started noticing the bumps that I always had pre-wet shaving.  Well, usually I always use a cartridge to clean up after using a Schick injector.   My conclusions are that while I still despise multi-blade cartridges, even though I use them for a touch up pass, it's really the can goo that is terrible for us or maybe just my skin.  This morning I was back to using my injector and the Hyrdl for a touch up pass with Soap Commander Gusto and the results were fantastic.  I can ready tell the difference from using can goo to a natural made soap.   Also, I might have to move to the coast full time as I noticed the water there was super soft and did create some amaZing lather on my last day of shaving this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mississippi-the only reason why Alabama looks good is because your our neighbor  Biggrin . I kid I kid

3 1,356
 07-21-2015, 08:14 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
Barbasol has sls in it, which could have caused the bumps. I had to stop using shaving creams, face washes, and shampoos that contain sls. You might be able to use Nivea sensitive shaving cream in the can if you're in a hurry.

3 584
 07-22-2015, 09:44 AM
User Info
I was going to do a test soon. I haven't shaved with a cart or canned goo for years, not once. I was going to buy a fancy cart like the new Gillette and see if it made a difference factoring in a good lather, good pre shave routine and after care. Just for fun!

4 642
 07-22-2015, 11:22 AM
User Info
(07-22-2015, 09:44 AM)Windsor Citrus Wrote: I was going to do a test soon. I haven't shaved with a cart or canned goo for years, not once. I was going to buy a fancy cart like the new Gillette and see if it made a difference factoring in a good lather, good pre shave routine and after care. Just for fun!

You'll be surprised Oli. I've been using a fusion with a Bolin Webb X1 and have been getting amazing shaves with ease and constancy with a good lather and beard mapping.

Go for it!

7 1,182
 07-22-2015, 11:27 AM
User Info
I will have to try it soon

4 642
 07-23-2015, 10:21 AM
User Info
Why don't you try using the canned shave cream with your normal injector/hydro shave to see if it is in fact the barbasol or the fact that you aren't doing the main part of your shave with the hydro?

10 407
 07-23-2015, 10:27 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
I've been saying that the canned goo is far worse than the multi-blade razors for years now.

4 447