07-21-2015, 12:58 PM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
I might order some but can anyone recommend or tell me what the the latest Jabonman Vetiver Haití smells like?

thanks, Paul.

1 225
 07-21-2015, 02:08 PM
User Info
Paul, the original Haiti that Manuel made, three years ago, was excellent. It was a smokey vetiver, more refined than Tierra Humeda, and stronger. It was a limited run. On request, he made it, again, over a year ago, but the scent was much weaker, and no match for the original.
This new version, I am still waiting to arrive, hopefully towards the end of the week. Luis says the scent is the same as the original, this time, but even stronger. That being the case, this soap will be a treat, and I can't wait. Furthermore, Manuel has spared no expense with this product, only using the highest quality oil and other fine ingredients.

32 5,292
 07-21-2015, 02:21 PM
User Info
(07-21-2015, 02:08 PM)Optometrist Wrote: Paul, the original Haiti that Manuel made, three years ago, was excellent. It was a smokey vetiver, more refined than Tierra Humeda, and stronger. It was a limited run. On request, he made it, again, over a year ago, but the scent was much weaker, and no match for the original.
This new version, I am still waiting to arrive, hopefully towards the end of the week. Luis says the scent is the same as the original, this time, but even stronger. That being the case, this soap will be a treat, and I can't wait. Furthermore, Manuel has spared no expense with this product, only using the highest quality oil and other fine ingredients.

I spoke with manual and asked the same question new vs old formula. As per manual , new formula is more concentrated which is very good . I placed the order yesterday for roses and vetiver Haiti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 07-21-2015, 02:30 PM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
Thanks guys.  My problem is that I'm not sure I actually like vetiver.  I read somewhere that DR Harris Windsor is a vetiver, which is great because I love that, but I didn't like Mike's Natural soap Vetiver and I didn't like Wet Earth (Tierra Humeda) so I'm not sure I'd like this, but I love Tom Ford Grey Vetiver!   Slightly confused ... Paul.

1 225
 07-21-2015, 02:45 PM
User Info
 07-21-2015, 02:47 PM
User Info
Paul, I'll send you a sample when I receive it. I'll PM you then.

32 5,292
 07-21-2015, 02:53 PM
User Info
(07-21-2015, 02:08 PM)Optometrist Wrote: Paul, the original Haiti that Manuel made, three years ago, was excellent. It was a smokey vetiver, more refined than Tierra Humeda, and stronger. It was a limited run. On request, he made it, again, over a year ago, but the scent was much weaker, and no match for the original.
I agree with David. I have a tub of the original and the scent profile is smokey vetiver, but not harsh. The tub, the soap performance, and the scent of the vetiver is first-rate. I cannot speak to the latest iteration. 

39 3,948
 07-21-2015, 02:58 PM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
(07-21-2015, 02:47 PM)Optometrist Wrote: Paul, I'll send you a sample when I receive it. I'll PM you then.

Thank you David .That's very kind, Paul

1 225
 07-21-2015, 03:39 PM
User Info
The new Vetiver de Haiti is the most impressive Vetiver I've ever smelled with difference, the smoke  is more elegant that TH and contains much essential oil, the scent is very strong.

8 1,702
 07-21-2015, 03:48 PM
User Info
(07-21-2015, 03:39 PM)lu20vt Wrote: The new Vetiver de Haiti is the most impressive Vetiver I've ever smelled with difference, the smoke  is more elegant that TH and contains much essential oil, the scent is very strong.

Luis , I can't wait , I love strong vetiver scent . I kind a know what to expect from vetiver scent but rose
Bourbon is very intriguing and I can't wait for the tub to arrived . Secondly rose is €35 euros vs vetiver is only €24

61 3,072
 07-21-2015, 03:48 PM
User Info
Both this and the Bourbon Rose are clearly meant to be higher end products, so I suspect he used a very high quality vetiver EO for this one and rose attar for the other.

16 1,027
 07-21-2015, 04:08 PM
User Info
(07-21-2015, 03:48 PM)Cricket203 Wrote:
(07-21-2015, 03:39 PM)lu20vt Wrote: The new Vetiver de Haiti is the most impressive Vetiver I've ever smelled with difference, the smoke  is more elegant that TH and contains much essential oil, the scent is very strong.

Luis , I can't wait , I love strong vetiver scent . I kind a know what to expect from vetiver scent but rose
Bourbon is very intriguing and I can't wait for the tub to arrived . Secondly rose is €35 euros vs vetiver is only €24

The reason is that the essence of Rose Bourbon is much more expensive, I've never smelled anything like it, is strong too and very classy.

8 1,702
 07-21-2015, 04:29 PM
User Info
(07-21-2015, 04:08 PM)lu20vt Wrote:
(07-21-2015, 03:48 PM)Cricket203 Wrote:

The reason is that the essence of Rose Bourbon is much more expensive, I've never smelled anything like it, is strong too and very classy.

Thanks , I can't wait

61 3,072
 07-21-2015, 07:15 PM
User Info
All of this Vetiver talk has me craving some! I really like Mike's version, but would love to try Manuel's newest interpretation.

83 21,109
 08-03-2015, 11:03 AM
User Info

Just received two soaps vetiver haiti(V2) and rose bourbon. I can't be more happier with the scents.

I agreed with Luis assessment of the scent . It's defiantly much better vetiver bourbon introduced by LPL last year . Jabonman vetiver is just so yummy .

On the other hand , rose bourbon is amazing . It's little darker and balanced version of LPL rose . I prefer Jabonman rose over LPL.

[Image: 6b7df579cdf5b6a3baacd42a7975fa91.jpg]

61 3,072
 08-03-2015, 12:02 PM
User Info
(07-21-2015, 02:30 PM)P.B Wrote: Thanks guys.  My problem is that I'm not sure I actually like vetiver.  I read somewhere that DR Harris Windsor is a vetiver, which is great because I love that, but I didn't like Mike's Natural soap Vetiver and I didn't like Wet Earth (Tierra Humeda) so I'm not sure I'd like this, but I love Tom Ford Grey Vetiver!   Slightly confused ... Paul.

You're probably not going to like the Vetiver if these other scents don't appeal to you. It's safe to say that I am very familiar with Vetiver: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=29912
I have both Mike's Vetiver AND Jabonman Vetiver de Haiti and DRH Windsor. The DRH doesn't smell anything like the other two. Jabonman and Mike's are as close to the true vetiver scent as any soaps out there.
[Image: hkhczOK.jpg]
[Image: jicEdrJ.jpg]

39 3,948
 08-03-2015, 12:04 PM
User Info
(07-21-2015, 02:30 PM)P.B Wrote: Thanks guys.  My problem is that I'm not sure I actually like vetiver.  I read somewhere that DR Harris Windsor is a vetiver, which is great because I love that, but I didn't like Mike's Natural soap Vetiver and I didn't like Wet Earth (Tierra Humeda) so I'm not sure I'd like this, but I love Tom Ford Grey Vetiver!   Slightly confused ... Paul.

That's because the scent often called "vetiver" can be vastly different depending mostly on the climate and growing conditions from which the vetiver is harvested. 

Vetiver scents can range from incredibly smoky and (IMO) unpleasant to earthy to "green" to a little bit floral, and every combination thereof.  I like green vetivers and floral vetivers, and vetivers that are a combination of green and floral, but I don't like vetivers that are smoky.  The smokier they are, the less I like them.  Some "vetiver" scents smell like a swamp fire!  I really hate that smell.  

I, too, like Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver.  The guy that owns Country Club for Men shaving soaps used to make a vetiver soap that was lovely; mostly floral, a little earthy, and slightly sweet.  I absolutely loved it.  The best vetiver scent I've ever smelled.  I don't know if he still makes a vetiver soap or not.

2 1,547
 08-03-2015, 12:49 PM
User Info
(08-03-2015, 12:04 PM)kingfisher Wrote:

That's because the scent often called "vetiver" can be vastly different depending mostly on the climate and growing conditions from which the vetiver is harvested. 

Vetiver scents can range from incredibly smoky and (IMO) unpleasant to earthy to "green" to a little bit floral, and every combination thereof.  I like green vetivers and floral vetivers, and vetivers that are a combination of green and floral, but I don't like vetivers that are smoky.  The smokier they are, the less I like them.  Some "vetiver" scents smell like a swamp fire!  I really hate that smell.  

I, too, like Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver.  The guy that owns Country Club for Men shaving soaps used to make a vetiver soap that was lovely; mostly floral, a little earthy, and slightly sweet.  I absolutely loved it.  The best vetiver scent I've ever smelled.  I don't know if he still makes a vetiver soap or not.

If that's the case you will not like vetiver Haiti from Jabonman. You may want to look into Barrister mann Vetiver Santal

61 3,072
 08-03-2015, 01:24 PM
User Info
(08-03-2015, 12:49 PM)Cricket203 Wrote:
(08-03-2015, 12:04 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Vetiver scents can range from incredibly smoky and (IMO) unpleasant to earthy to "green" to a little bit floral, and every combination thereof.  I like green vetivers and floral vetivers, and vetivers that are a combination of green and floral, but I don't like vetivers that are smoky.  The smokier they are, the less I like them.  

If that's the case you will not like vetiver Haiti from Jabonman. You may want to look into Barrister mann Vetiver Santal

+1
This third version of haiti is the strongest Manuel has ever made. Even two to three hours later, I still detect the scent lingering.

32 5,292
 08-03-2015, 01:46 PM
User Info
(08-03-2015, 01:24 PM)Optometrist Wrote:
(08-03-2015, 12:49 PM)Cricket203 Wrote:
(08-03-2015, 12:04 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Vetiver scents can range from incredibly smoky and (IMO) unpleasant to earthy to "green" to a little bit floral, and every combination thereof.  I like green vetivers and floral vetivers, and vetivers that are a combination of green and floral, but I don't like vetivers that are smoky.  The smokier they are, the less I like them.  

+1
This third version of haiti is the strongest Manuel has ever made. Even two to three hours later, I still detect the scent lingering.

I am thinking to buy more rosa and vetiver just in case manuel change the formula and reduce scent strength . Finally we have an artisan taking chance in strong scent

61 3,072