07-21-2015, 08:04 PM
User Info
With all the talk about electric toothbrushes, I felt like posting this thread-- being a devout manual toothbrush user. Incidentally, I bought an arm and hammer spinbrush pro recently and while I will continue to use it I will not buy it again because it doesn't clean any better than a manual, costs more, is made in China, isn't very maneuverable, and really seems more like a gimmick to me. 

Years ago I stashed up on the basic toothbrushes by Dr. Du Mores at Walmart. I have been unable to find them since. It was something like $1.50. Classic design and made in USA. I have now stumbled on the POH toothbrushes which seem very similar. POH does make the classic design toothbrush but the site also talks about "the Bass method." This is a method that can be used by any manual toothbrush but they have a design that better utilizes it. The idea is too really get in the grooves in between the teeth and gums that classic design toothbrushes can't keep up with. 

Here is a classic toothbrush. It works, no gimmicks. One of its benefits is that unlike modern spaceship toothbrushes that appear to be marketed to children, it uses up less toothpaste because the paste stays on the surface of the bristles. It is very effective at combating gunk that builds up on the surface.

[Image: 259_TB_04_2012.jpg]

Here is a Bass method toothbrush. This one is very effective at getting in between the teeth where otherwise only floss would reach. It really reaches into weird grooves. Not that effective at surface brushing.
[Image: 259_TB_03_2012.jpg]

What you will notice is that modern toothbrushes combine aspects of BOTH these toothbrushes. Raised far spaced bristles to get in between the grooves and uniform bristles to scrub the surface of the teeth. They try to be the jack-of-all-trades and end up being just that--a renaisance man not excelling in either category, just being ok. The reason is that the denser bristles limit how far the raised bristles can go into the grooves. 

The Bass method is designed to disrupt the bacteria that hangs around the gums and causes gingivitis and tooth decay, not so much cavities or plaque (which is what the classic brush is best for IMO). 
Here is a video demonstrating the technique around 5:00 into the video (again can be used with any brush):

Apparently, it was invented by a medical doctor (not dentist) named Charles Bass who wanted to cure his own, advanced gum disease. Supposedly he did this successfully by just this method.

[Image: 345_ccbass-md.jpg]

This really makes sense to me because I have heard flossing is actually much more important than brushing. Here is one such article: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle/02/...t-brushing

I've been having good results with this method and no longer have gums that bleed.

I also bought floss from POH, as seen above. It is more effective than the Reach floss I am used to using because it is much thinner and it has many little strands that scrub:
[Image: 222_420_02.jpg]

The floss is advertised as lightly waxed but it really doesn't feel waxed at all. Because of this it is awfully unpleasant to use. The wax is what makes a floss smooth-- if it doesn't have it, it creates something akin to scratching a chalkboard and producing a screech on your teeth. So yes, it does work better and I can get into tight areas easier and I notice more odors on it versus the reach but the squeak is awful for me... I don't think I will buying it again just because of this issue. Also, it is not as economical as the Reach stuff because it is hard to hold on to it. The strand is very thin and I need to pull out about a foot of it and wrap it around my fingers or it easily slips.

[Image: UBL1EcD.jpg]

18 713
 07-21-2015, 08:54 PM
User Info
Very interesting post !
I hope Merkur Man will chime in later.
He's a dentist and can give you a reply with substance.

24 5,850
 07-21-2015, 09:33 PM
User Info
(07-21-2015, 08:54 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Very interesting post !

I hope he will also shed some light on the oil pulling fad that has been going on (mouth wash with oil for 20 minutes). Do hope to hear your experience if you decide to try this method.

18 713
 09-10-2015, 04:58 PM
User Info
I have some POH brushes en route, both the staggered row and 3-row original adult, to see which is preferable. Using the Bass Method, even with the OTC Reach toothbrushes I usually use, I can tell it's a more effective means of brushing. No desire or need for an electric now.

29 1,776
 09-11-2015, 06:57 PM
User Info
(09-10-2015, 04:58 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: I have some POH brushes en route, both the staggered row and 3-row original adult, to see which is preferable. Using the Bass Method, even with the OTC Reach toothbrushes I usually use, I can tell it's a more effective means of brushing. No desire or need for an electric now.

Let me know how it works out. Shadow's Dad also uses this method: http://theoriginalsafetytoo.com/thread/1...thbrushing

18 713
 09-11-2015, 08:28 PM
User Info
The brushes just arrived. The original 3-row POH Bass (model #3 on the POH website) with its smaller number of bristles compared to a regular toothbrush makes it easy to get between and around teeth, just as advertised. Despite the smaller head and handle, it still provides plenty of leverage and full coverage. Just a matter of getting used to downsizing from the standard monster brush. I'll give this a full run then switch to the staggered head version (#1) to see which works better. There are several websites that sell the #1, but only POH seems to carry the full Bass-style lineup.

29 1,776
 09-13-2015, 10:16 PM
User Info
Yeah, the electric toothbrushes have become so popular nowadays. All the dentists recommend using these toothbrushes. Even our family dentist Redondo Beach also believes that electric toothbrushes are best for our oral care.

0 1
 09-14-2015, 02:30 AM
User Info
(07-21-2015, 09:33 PM)fram773 Wrote:

I hope he will also shed some light on the oil pulling fad that has been going on (mouth wash with oil for 20 minutes). Do hope to hear your experience if you decide to try this method.
Oil pulling is pure, unadulterated, quackery . Just plain nonsense. Skeptoid did an episode on it [URL] http://skeptoid.com/blog/2013/11/11/oil-...mouthwash/[/URL]

Enviado do meu telégrafo usando Tapatalk.

0 163
 09-14-2015, 04:41 AM
User Info
(09-14-2015, 02:30 AM)cegadede Wrote:
(07-21-2015, 09:33 PM)fram773 Wrote:

Oil pulling is pure, unadulterated, quackery . Just plain nonsense. Skeptoid did an episode on it [URL] http://skeptoid.com/blog/2013/11/11/oil-...mouthwash/[/URL]

Enviado do meu telégrafo usando Tapatalk.

Yeah I'm not surprised but some people think colloidal silver will protect you from AIDS Wink

18 713
 09-14-2015, 04:49 AM
User Info
(09-13-2015, 10:16 PM)Nelson98 Wrote: Yeah, the electric toothbrushes have become so popular nowadays. All the dentists recommend using these toothbrushes. Even our family dentist Redondo Beach also believes that electric toothbrushes are best for our oral care.

That's what the advertising says anyways. Ask a dermatologist and "all" of them will recommend a Gillette Fusion for sensitive skin. What does that prove? Consumer Reports did a report on toothbrushes and said a manual is all you need if you use the right technique. Their dentist agreed.

18 713
 11-16-2015, 11:26 AM
User Info
I use the modified Bass method for brushing, but I use a cheap, very soft bristled toothbrush I picked up at Walgreens.  

I use an Oral B electric at night, and the manual in the morning.  I think both brushes provide a superb result when handled properly.

2 1,397