06-22-2012, 07:09 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Last night's shave included RazoRock's Mughetto di Bologna, a soap that I've used twice before with great results. Great, very stable lather,great glide, just nice stuff. I don't likely need to tell you, it's all been said before.

Out of nowhere, midway through the first pass, it started to burn, mostly in the mustache area and at the corners of my mouth.
I kept at it because it worked so well previously. Three full passes, each one the burn getting worse. I ended up with a bright red face, large splotches and a few welts. The only product that has ever caused similar burning was Trumper's Coconut Cream and that was mild compared to what happened last night.
After witch hazel, aloe and ultimately, a good dose of OTC hydrocortisone cream, I'm doing better this morning. An as a strange aside, I got a BBS shave. Not a hair of stubble to be found after the shave.....just MASSIVE irritation and almost what appears to be an allergic reaction.

I would *LOVE* to know which specific ingredient(s)caused this. I cannot find anything in this product that I have not seen in ALL of the other products that I successfully use on a regular basis and again, I have had two previously successful shaves with the product. I regularly use XXX with great results and I am, (was?!) looking forward to trying many more RazoRock products. Many of the products have different formulas so I'll probably be OK but what the heck? Sad

What went wrong?!?!?!? Has anyone else had such a violent reaction to a soap or a cream? If so, did you ever figure out what it was from?
I'll probably never know the specifics but what a shame!
Any insight is much appreciated.

6 905
 06-22-2012, 07:12 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
It is likely a reaction to the fragrance oil. Yes, I have this reaction to the Razorock XXX, Musgo Real Shave Cream, Erasmic Shave Cream, Taylor Rose shave cream and a few others.

45 16,352
 06-22-2012, 07:37 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Beware of fragrance oils or essential oils.

If a soap has a strong scent, it's more than likely my skin will burn after the shave.

4 313
 06-22-2012, 07:56 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
I get a much milder (though still unpleasant) reaction to Proraso and T&H Grafton. Nice to know I'm not alone.

1 290
 06-22-2012, 08:12 AM
User Info
Same thing happened to me with Mughetto di Bologna. The first couple shaves were great, and I was looking forward to purchasing some other scents. But on the third, it started to burn on my earlobes(they seem for me to be the irritation epicenter). I have set it aside, and hope I can revisit it when the weather cools. Like Phil, I have had to move on to other dens Musgo cream, a couple of Taylors, a Shave Den soap, and AOS creams. I have come to the conclusion that FOs don't agree with my skin. Thankfully EOs do not give me any problem, and there are plenty of soaps and creams that use them.

0 103
 06-22-2012, 08:25 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
That's too bad. It's extra disappointing that it did it to you after letting you get a good idea of how well it performs. At least if a soap burns on day one you don't have a chance to get attached.

So far the closest I have come to this is an odd warming sensation on my cheeks from the cinnamon in the S&D "Spice." *crosses fingers*

10 1,858
 06-22-2012, 08:26 AM
User Info
A typical allergic reaction pattern is development of the rash after several "sensitizing" exposures, so this may be what's happening. However, you can have a nonallergic irritant type reaction to high concentrations of the oils, which is what happens to me with eau de toilettes but not aftershaves. If that's the case, then you might be able to dilute the scented soap with some unscented shaving cream such as T&H Ultimate Comfort, making it tolerable for your skin.

184 12,003
 06-22-2012, 08:37 AM
User Info
Ive had the same issues with RR third eye. From what ive read on other forums, its not uncommon with the RR line.

9 333
 06-22-2012, 09:01 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Very interesting. I guess that I didn't realize the problem is so widespread, especially so but certainly not limited to RazoRock products. They are just such fantastic performers!

The soap does have quite a potent scent for something that I've found very subtle usually, (Lily of the Valley) so it would make sense that fragrance oils, natural and/or synthetic are the likely culprit...and that makes me feel a bit better because at least I know what I can try and limit myself to.
Hopefully, it was not a true allergic reaction, just irritant due to the fragrance oils and nothing else.

6 905
 06-22-2012, 09:13 AM
User Info
(06-22-2012, 07:12 AM)bullgoose Wrote: It is likely a reaction to the fragrance oil. Yes, I have this reaction to the Razorock XXX, Musgo Real Shave Cream, Erasmic Shave Cream, Taylor Rose shave cream and a few others.

+1 on the essential oils. Some gents have a reaction to them or the synthetic fragrances, also. Too bad.

75 20,883
 06-22-2012, 09:37 AM
User Info
I've gotten the burning sensation from TOBS Sandalwood soap and Fume Lavender Soap.

0 836
 06-22-2012, 10:30 AM
User Info
MdB is the only soap or cream I have tried of any brand that has irritated my face to the point where I needed to not use it. I have thought about trying the lemon version but have not been sure if it is the fragrance or the soap base. Based on this thread perhaps it is the fragrance.

0 12
 06-22-2012, 10:45 AM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
(06-22-2012, 10:30 AM)speas Wrote: MdB is the only soap or cream I have tried of any brand that has irritated my face to the point where I needed to not use it. I have thought about trying the lemon version but have not been sure if it is the fragrance or the soap base. Based on this thread perhaps it is the fragrance.

I'm sure this is definitely a YMMV thing, but I would think this is a fragrance issue rather than a soap base issue.
For instance, the Caprician Lemon set my face on fire, but the Napoleon's Violet is very mild and skin friendly for me.
If you try another scent and find that it still irritates you, I'm sure you could trade or sell it pretty easily, given the popularity of these well loved soaps.

Best of luck!

11 366
 06-22-2012, 11:10 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I hate that. I can't use any AOS stuff or any Mama's Bears Stuff for the same reason.

116 3,804
 06-22-2012, 11:31 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Ooh, good point. I forgot there were some Mama Bear soaps that caused a reaction for me, too. Dragon's Blood, for example.

10 1,858
 06-23-2012, 05:17 PM
User Info
I had to give up on the MdB soap because of the irritation. It is a damn shame, because I love the scent and the performance was pretty good as well.

The only soap that I have had that reaction to.

8 240
 06-25-2012, 07:01 AM
User Info
I have similar reactions to colognes and EDTs. I was hesitant about the soaps and aftershaves when I first started with the DE razors but I have been fortunate so far and not had any problems with the products I have tried.

0 123
 06-25-2012, 07:18 AM
User Info
RazoRock Classic -- the only RazoRock I've used -- burns my face.

0 214
 06-26-2012, 07:36 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Bummer. MdB is one of my favorites.

I must be lucky as all the shaving products I've tried so far I've never had a bad reaction do far.

0 353
 06-26-2012, 08:06 PM
User Info
I had a burning on my face when I first used napoleons violet, but I later found out that it was due to me not fully washing off the mr glo that I had used as a pre shave face wash. Now
I have to make sure to wash it off fully before putting any lather on my face

0 90