07-22-2015, 02:47 AM
User Info
Can anyone attest to the aggressiveness of the PILS?  I have been looking for one for quite some time.  However, I want to make sure that it isn't too aggressive for me.  

Also, can anyone comment on adaptation to aggressive shaves?  What I mean by this is, does your face eventually acclimate to more aggressive shaves?

I currently use an IKON open comb DLC with bamboo handle if that helps anyone's potential response. 

Thanks in advance!

7 117
 07-22-2015, 03:26 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
......good question, Michael.
.........i hope to purchase a PILS (one day)........... and it would be good to know how aggressive the PILS is in comparsion to other razors...

45 1,063
 07-22-2015, 10:37 AM
User Info
Its actually extremely mild, but incredible efficient....I highly recommend it.....

1 43
 07-22-2015, 11:00 AM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I don't know if this will help but it's somewhere in between a feather as d2 and ikon open comb. It's extremely heavy and it will take the whiskers off Smile also royal shaves got them in stock

118 1,708
 07-22-2015, 11:17 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
(07-22-2015, 11:00 AM)Triad Wrote: I don't know if this will help but it's somewhere in between a feather as d2 and ikon open comb. It's extremely heavy and it will take the whiskers off Smile also royal shaves got them in stock

+1 as this is an excellent description of the Pils razor.

2 479
 07-22-2015, 11:32 AM
User Info
I'll let you know when I get mine this week Thumbup. On its way from Germany as I type.

61 3,796
 07-22-2015, 01:13 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I find that with a new Feather blade (good for about 3 shaves) it shaves as clean as my Mongoose. However, the shave with the PILS is not as long lasting as the Mongoose. I definately need to shave everyday with the PILS. With the Mongoose I can get away with shaving every other day. The shaves from both are equally smooth

68 1,047
 07-22-2015, 02:42 PM
User Info
very mild but the prettiest thing ever.

73 1,263
 07-22-2015, 02:54 PM
  • PR82
  • California, US
User Info
Mild shaver but a great shaver also. The weight of the PILS does all the work.

7 298
 07-22-2015, 03:17 PM
User Info
(07-22-2015, 02:47 AM)MichaelNB465 Wrote: Can anyone attest to the aggressiveness of the PILS?  I have been looking for one for quite some time.  However, I want to make sure that it isn't too aggressive for me.  

Also, can anyone comment on adaptation to aggressive shaves?  What I mean by this is, does your face eventually acclimate to more aggressive shaves?

I currently use an IKON open comb DLC with bamboo handle if that helps anyone's potential response. 

Thanks in advance!

Can't comment on the Pils. I can say that when I switched to DE razors my face did haft to adjust for about a month I'd say. Again when I moved up in aggression I did get a little bit of skin peeling when I use an aggressive razor everyday. I don't know if It was the soap I was using and it dried my soap out or if I just needed a moisturizer or if it was the razor. I do know since I started using some trumpers skin food I have not experienced this.

3 1,356
 07-22-2015, 03:36 PM
User Info
Ordered the pils with a pils stand (the non brush combo one).  

Excited

7 117
 07-22-2015, 03:46 PM
User Info
Congrats. Hope you enjoy it.

The Pils talk lately just peeked my interest ,until I found them in stock and saw the price,interest no longer peeked ,for fear of wife's scourn. Oh well ...

3 1,356
 07-22-2015, 04:50 PM
User Info
PILS is one of my starting razor at wet shaving.
I still use it very often.
It's mild and efficient, but needs a little time to adjust proper shaving angle.
Otherwise it will hurt you.
It's slightly aggressive then ASD2, but a lot heavier.
The best thing of using it is the flat head design is very efficient for beards under the nose.
The building quality is one of the best on market.
I believe the Wolfman , Tradere and Ikon SBS which has similar design are great razors, too.
But they are very hard to find or you have to be on the waiting list.
For PILS you can buy on Royal Shave or directly from their website.

2 121
 07-22-2015, 05:07 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Best DE razor I have ever used.  Craftsmanship second to none, mild, and heavy.  I like that is holds the blade flat and rigid so there is no flex in the blade.  It does take some getting use to, but once you get the angle right you will experience one of the best DE shaves you  have ever had.  Let the weight of the razor do the work.

If I were buying another new one, I would order it direct from Germany.  You can save about $70 by doing that.

[Image: l7YxoUM.jpg]

175 23,752
 07-22-2015, 05:12 PM
User Info
Possibly, the loveliest crafted DE I have seen and used, but it is fairly mild and top-heavy. I never got great shaves with it, but I would love to try it, again.

82 21,056
 07-22-2015, 05:27 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Michael, in case you did not see it, I did a review on the PILS HERE

175 23,752
 07-22-2015, 06:21 PM
User Info
The PILS is one of my favorite DE razors of all time. As others have mentioned, it takes a few days with it to get used to the angle, but the few days learning curve is very worthwhile, once mastered the PILS provides some of the best shaves of any razor I have experienced.  And then there is the craftsmanship, as others have also mentioned, it is second to none, quite simply perfect.  Lately everyone seems to be on the kick of blade rigidity as being one of the keys to a comfortable shave, I happen to prescribe to the idea. Similar to those razors to come after the PILS, who boast this blade stiffness/rigidity (Mongoose & Wolfman) the PILS does not disappoint, I detect no blade chatter whatsoever.  If you get one, and give it some time to get used to, I think you'll come to love it.

73 2,200
 07-23-2015, 03:36 AM
User Info
I would be interested in one of these if I thought gripping it wouldn't be a problem. The Progress XL is slippery in my hands and I wonder if this would be the same. I got along fine with a satin Futur though. Part of the problem is some arthritis in my thumb. I have always liked the looks of this razor and it wouldn't take much convincing for me to order one. The satin finish is the one that interests me.
Could someone tell we what the handle dimensions are?
Hector, what finish did you order?

44 486
 07-23-2015, 03:52 AM
User Info
(07-23-2015, 03:36 AM)AFG008 Wrote: I would be interested in one of these if I thought gripping it wouldn't be a problem. The Progress XL is slippery in my hands and I wonder if this would be the same. I got along fine with a satin Futur though. Part of the problem is some arthritis in my thumb. I have always liked the looks of this razor and it wouldn't take much convincing for me to order one. The satin finish is the one that interests me.
Could someone tell we what the handle dimensions are?
Hector, what finish did you order?

Al, I got the brushed steel.  I was thinking the same as you, and after sharing my thoughts about purchasing with Johnny, I though the brushed steel would give me a better grip.  I don't have any problems keeping a good grip on my razors, but I have the feeling this razor is going to be a bit more "top heavy" than say, the Progress, so I didn't want to take a chance with the polished steel.

61 3,796
 07-23-2015, 04:32 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Don't have the exact dimensions of the handle, but it is about the size of an old Super Speed.  It is very top heavy but I have no problem with gripping the handle.

175 23,752