• BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Just got these today locally.

[Image: Williams-a_zpsrzmuwz40.jpg]

[Image: Williams-b_zps5rvylisz.jpg]

[Image: Colgate-a_zps4ofqznzz.jpg]

[Image: Colgate-b_zps4h1atqn8.jpg]

Did test palm lather each one. Both raised a rich slick thick lather easily. That is in sharp contrast to the modern Williams finicky nature. There was no original scent left only that of what I presume to be tallow. Will be test shaving with them next week.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-22-2015, 09:36 AM
User Info
Very cool. I am awaiting my very first vintage William's puck too. 

39 3,876
 07-22-2015, 10:23 AM
User Info
Congratulations, Bob! Thumbsup

82 21,056
 07-22-2015, 11:34 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Nice score Bob.

72 1,225
 07-22-2015, 11:36 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Just an additional comment on the soaps. From the cursory test lathers the vintage Colgate seems/feels a tad better than the vintage Williams. It might well be a different story if both were fresh pucks. Who knows how they were stored and for how long so that could make the difference. Both seem more than good enough though. We'll see for sure when shaving.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-22-2015, 11:40 AM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
If I didn't know any better I'd say Bob and Primo have been doing some shopping together. Biggrin

0 403
 07-22-2015, 11:55 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(07-22-2015, 11:40 AM)Thug Wrote: If I didn't know any better I'd say Bob and Primo have been doing some shopping together. Biggrin

Well, almost.   Biggrin  I saw and commented on Primo's thread a few days ago and that jogged my memory of seeing these two pucks in a local store. So I though why not see if they are as good as the vintage Williams shave stick I have is. At $4.00 a puck I thought it was worth a flyer to see.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-22-2015, 12:19 PM
User Info
To be honest, I had a vintage puck of Williams and I just couldn't use it as the scent was quite synthetic and unappealing! Biggrin

82 21,056
 07-22-2015, 01:48 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(07-22-2015, 12:19 PM)celestino Wrote: To be honest, I had a vintage puck of Williams and I just couldn't use it as the scent was quite synthetic and unappealing! Biggrin

You must have had a fresher puck than I have then.  Biggrin  No discernible factory scent left with these so that might be an advantage then if you like the scent of tallow.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-22-2015, 01:51 PM
User Info
Pretty awesome. Makes me think of older times when tea bars were a  currency. How old are they, actually?

21 1,175
 07-22-2015, 02:33 PM
User Info
(07-22-2015, 11:55 AM)BobH Wrote:
(07-22-2015, 11:40 AM)Thug Wrote: If I didn't know any better I'd say Bob and Primo have been doing some shopping together. Biggrin

Well, almost.   Biggrin  I saw and commented on Primo's thread a few days ago and that jogged my memory of seeing these two pucks in a local store. So I though why not see if they are as good as the vintage Williams shave stick I have is. At $4.00 a puck I thought it was worth a flyer to see.

Bob
I am curious to hear about your shave results. I was advised to soak the Williams puck overnight in warm water. My first instinct was to grate it and Celestino insists that I rub it on my face. Decisions, decisions.  Doubt

39 3,876
 07-22-2015, 02:59 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(07-22-2015, 01:51 PM)Bibbelmann Wrote: Pretty awesome. Makes me think of older times when tea bars were a  currency. How old are they, actually?

Sorry, I have no idea how old they are.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-22-2015, 03:11 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(07-22-2015, 02:33 PM)primotenore Wrote: I am curious to hear about your shave results. I was advised to soak the Williams puck overnight in warm water. My first instinct was to grate it and Celestino insists that I rub it on my face. Decisions, decisions.  Doubt

To do the palm lathering test I just held the puck in one hand, dampened my synthetic brush with cold water, gave a small shake to lightly dampen the puck and started loading the brush. skimmed the tips of the brush in cold water another light shake over the puck and loaded a little more. Whetted my palm and build the lather adding a bit of cold water by skimming the brush as needed. 

I used cold water and a synthetic brush, my normal routine. If the common wisdom is that high end badger brushes and hot water are superior then with using those it should be even easier.  Biggrin

I guess you could soak it over night but I see no need too, probably would not hurt it though. You can treat any hard soap like a shave stick if you want. Just whet your face and puck then rub it over your face like a shave stick. Lather up from there. 

Bob

0 1,694
 07-22-2015, 03:18 PM
User Info
I am looking forward to getting this old-time soap and giving it a whirl.

39 3,876
 07-22-2015, 04:20 PM
User Info
You can't beat Vintage Williams soap.  Grab it whenever you find it.  It's terrific stuff.

9 1,203
 07-22-2015, 04:44 PM
User Info
I had a colgate puck of that vintage. I didnt like it, especially compared to the Williams of the same vintage. My description of it is "chalky". Forever drying out, it always needed more water to the point of being runny and transparent lather. Then I could feel my face tighten and it felt like a saltine cracker before I could get some ASL on it. After a week of that I put it away till i felt like I needed a challenge. I havent gotten it back out yet.

8 169
 07-22-2015, 04:54 PM
User Info
(07-22-2015, 01:48 PM)BobH Wrote:
(07-22-2015, 12:19 PM)celestino Wrote: To be honest, I had a vintage puck of Williams and I just couldn't use it as the scent was quite synthetic and unappealing! Biggrin

You must have had a fresher puck than I have then.  Biggrin  No discernible factory scent left with these so that might be an advantage then if you like the scent of tallow.

Thanks, Bob, but tallow isn't a scent I am fond of and prefer my scented soaps, although I do love it in my soaps!   Biggrin

82 21,056
 07-22-2015, 05:56 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(07-22-2015, 04:54 PM)celestino Wrote:
(07-22-2015, 01:48 PM)BobH Wrote:

Thanks, Bob, but tallow isn't a scent I am fond of and prefer my scented soaps, although I do love it in my soaps!   Biggrin

Yea, I would have preferred a scent other than Tallow also but when you deal with soap that old and dubiously stored that is what you wind up with. Mainly looking to see how the lather performs in any event. If the performance is still decent after all these years it would likely have been very good when these pucks were fresh. We shall see about the Williams in the morning and the Colgate next morning. We'll find out real quick using a Muhle R41 albeit the 2013 version though.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-23-2015, 12:58 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Tried out the vintage Williams this morning. It was definitely past it's best by date but I knew that going in. The test palm lathering I had done was a bit deceiving turns out too. When face lathered the lather was not as thick as in the test palm lathering. Also had to load for a long time adding water as I went. I don't think that would have been the case with a fresher puck. Regardless of that the lather was much slicker than the modern Williams.

The shave was done using a Muhle R41 2013 version and a Gillette Silver Blue blade with a few shaves on it. The razor just glided along nicely because the vintage Williams still retained good slickness even though the lather was thin. The end result was an excellent shave with very little sting from the deodorant ammonium alum I used post shave. I still think the vintage works better than the modern.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-23-2015, 05:22 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Try soaking overnight for the first ( now second ) use. I was given this tip by a Williams aficionado on another forum. I tried this with a puck of Williams Tonsorial. It didn't turn into that really soft mushy soap. It turned out a little harder than a soft soap. The loading was easier and the lather wasn't thin. Every use after, I soak the puck in my mug for 10 minutes. This is just my experience with this particular puck, your puck may be older and may be a different formula/soap. I'm interested in hearing about the Colgate soap.

72 1,225