07-22-2015, 09:38 AM
User Info
Over the coming week I will be releasing a review of the top 5 mentholated soaps on the market all chosen by you!

A couple of months ago, I asked people to tell me on the shaving forums what their three favourite mentholated soaps were. Having added up the results it was apparent I was going to have some fun trying these face freezing monsters. Many of you wanted me to include - the legend that is - Proraso Green as a base for my findings. I agree that this is a great idea so I will be comparing each to Proraso throughout.

The five lucky winners are:
Mystic Waters Prospect Creek
Stirling Glacial (I picked Lemon Chill)
Chiselled Face Groomatorium Cryogen
Mr Kramperts Frostbite
Queen Charlotte Soaps Iced Key Lime

(Some of the close runners up were, Caties Bubbles Mile High Menthol, Ingrams, Nannys Ice and Slice, Yeti Snot)

How is this going to work?! Well, I am going to talk about each separately. This will not be a full review of each as the main component we are looking at is the menthol levels and performance, I will use five categories to show my findings and come to a conclusion as to which is my favourite.

Categories:
Intro - A brief outline of the soap and initial impressions.
Performance - How it performs in the lather, shave and post shave.
Menthol - The level of menthol with a score out of 10.
Scent - Can a strong menthol soap have a great scent?
Proraso - Comparison to the famous Proraso Green.

Stay tuned over the coming days for each soap review and my findings, it is sure to be quite chilling! - ok that was terrible but I couldn't think of anything else, see you soon.
[Image: uWIeM8C.jpg]

4 642
 07-22-2015, 09:54 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
That's great, really looking forward to your write up. Don't know if its to lathe but I think there could be one more contender which B&M just released yesterday Arctique. It even has a disclaimer on his website (yikes).

10 963
 07-22-2015, 10:13 AM
User Info
(07-22-2015, 09:54 AM)Balj86 Wrote: That's great, really looking forward to your write up. Don't know if its to lathe but I think there could be one more contender which B&M just released yesterday Arctique. It even has a disclaimer on his website (yikes).

I really want to include it but it didn't get enough votes and it wasn't available but it is one I will try.

4 642
 07-22-2015, 10:30 AM
User Info
Best of luck to you, Oli and have fun! Thumbup

82 21,056
 07-22-2015, 11:08 AM
User Info
Well……. it's a tough job but someone has to do it!  Wink How can you not have fun with all those soaps.

2 226
 07-22-2015, 11:17 AM
User Info
The testing was great fun. The first review will be posted tomorrow Smile

4 642
 07-22-2015, 11:25 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
(07-22-2015, 10:13 AM)Windsor Citrus Wrote:
(07-22-2015, 09:54 AM)Balj86 Wrote: That's great, really looking forward to your write up. Don't know if its to lathe but I think there could be one more contender which B&M just released yesterday Arctique. It even has a disclaimer on his website (yikes).

I really want to include it but it didn't get enough votes and it wasn't available but it is one I will try.

That's understood!

10 963
 07-22-2015, 11:35 AM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
Looking forward to reading your reviews.

0 403
 07-22-2015, 12:17 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Oli, look forward to the write ups but not the inevitable soap orders Wink

In the meantime, brace yourself of any icy responses you may get. I know, I know... but still couldn't resist.

2 1,180
 07-22-2015, 02:01 PM
User Info
(07-22-2015, 12:17 PM)kwsher Wrote: Oli, look forward to the write ups but not the inevitable soap orders Wink

In the meantime, brace yourself of any icy responses you may get. I know, I know... but still couldn't resist.

Haha enjoy, I am sure I will get a few frosty recommendations.

4 642
 07-22-2015, 02:39 PM
User Info
I love this stuff. Subscribed.  Icon_popcorn

39 3,876
 07-22-2015, 02:44 PM
User Info
Looking forward to the results. Smile

24 1,208
 07-23-2015, 09:08 AM
User Info
Mystic Waters Prospect Creek

Intro - I am not going to lie, probably one of the most recommended out of the bunch. Michelle is known for some cracking soaps however up until this point I had only tried one sample of her soap the week before. This soap comes in a simple white tub with a very basic but convenient water proof label. I pushed the soap down into the tub to increase the loading area. A tallow based soap, surely something I am going to like?!

Performance - People always moan about this soaps ability to produce a good lather, I am telling you now you will be rewarded for taking a little more time and treating it like a woman! With this in mind this soap will create a rich, creamy and stable lather. During the shave it is slick and protective building a real barrier between the blade and your skin. You can feel the slickness of the soap when you rinse and your fingertips glide effortlessly across your face. Where this soap excels is in the post shave properties, this one in particular doesn't even contain lanolin that Michelle includes in other soaps but still leaves your face feeling silky smooth and moisturised. I didn't detect any tightness in my skin and I could of easily walked away without using a balm but that would be no fun.

Menthol - I must say the menthol in this is relatively low. I have heard others say it's super cold, in my opinion I would say it's more than a slight chill but not an absolute face freezer. I liked it a lot and it was extremely refreshing but it didn't have the bite that some of the other soaps have. I would say a great soap for a menthol newbie, something to get your senses going but not leave you without any feeling in your face for the rest of the day. My menthol level for this soap is a 5/10.

Scent - A brilliantly superb Peppermint scent. I have come across some peppermint soaps prior to this and they are just to strong for my taste. This is well balanced and smooth, I wouldn't want to change this soap scent but it intrigues me to think what a small amount of cranberry would do to it! I am impressed by this scent I like it a lot.

Proraso - I will use this chance to say that I am not a lover of the performance of Proraso however I do like the scent and menthol levels. In my opinion if you were to compare these two Mystic Waters would win hands down because of performance. In terms of scent I think they are pretty even and I also think they are very even in the menthol department. Some will disagree with me but in my opinion I can't feel a lot of difference.

Stick around for Stirling Glacial! 
[Image: 0r0WcqU.jpg]

4 642
 07-23-2015, 09:08 AM
User Info
Can't wait to see the reviews. Shy

16 1,891
 07-23-2015, 09:13 AM
User Info
(07-23-2015, 09:08 AM)cosmicshaver Wrote: Can't wait to see the reviews. Shy

The first one is above your comment, enjoy. There will be one a day Smile

4 642
 07-23-2015, 09:17 AM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Mystic waters is in my list. Question on a 1-10 scale 10 being the slickest soap you ever used how would you rate MW?

3 1,356
 07-23-2015, 10:38 AM
User Info
(07-23-2015, 09:17 AM)Otis375 Wrote: Thanks for the review, Mystic waters is in my list. Question  on a 1-10 scale 10 being the slickest soap you ever used how would you rate MW?

I would say about 9, around there. It's similar to Barrister and Mann I would say. Very comfy shave every time.

4 642
 07-23-2015, 10:42 AM
User Info
great review on prospect creek. I've been wanting to test the menthol strength in it. Thanks for the heads up

24 698
 07-23-2015, 10:44 AM
User Info
Congratulations, Oli and, now, you know why I really enjoy this soap, so much. Wait until you try some other scents.  Thumbup

82 21,056
 07-23-2015, 12:06 PM
User Info
Cracking good review. Looking forward to tomorrow's.  Icon_popcorn

39 3,876