07-22-2015, 12:49 PM
  • gclyn
  • Markham, Ontario, Canada
User Info
Hi all,

I just got a Merkur Futur.  I was not planning to get it, but, it was such a good deal.  It's the satin one.  Here is my opinion, very short.

Soap = Stirling Iced Pineapple
Blade = Pol Silver
Brush = HIS synthetic brush
Aftershave = Lucky Tiger
Aftershave balm = Baxter's of California

I experimented with the setting and found that 2.5 is the perfect aggressiveness for me.

The razor is heavy, but does not fatigue the hand because the design is so good.  The weight allows one to focus on your strokes and allow gravity to apply the pressure.  This razor "sings" very loud though...I like it.  You can hear and feel every whisker being shaved.  At 2.5 I found the razor to be very comfortable and very smooth, almost like a Gillette Tech (Canadian version, which I have), but the cutting capability of my Tradere or Joris.

I tried setting 3 and that was more "Joris-like," not bad, but if I wanted a Joris shave, I would use my Joris.  I had no weeper or nicks, and no burns after the shave.  It was quite the pleasant experience.

I was worried about the size of the head, as I don't have a large face and the maxillary area (between lip and nose) on my face is not large.  But to my surprise, I had no problem shaving that area.  I do 3 passes - WTG, XTG, ATG.  Babybottom shave.

I now find that next to my Tradere, this is my favorite new razor...love the looks and love the way it shaves....it also has it's "own feel" when using it.  This is my first Merkur, so not sure if the other models like the 34C HD have that feel.  The Tradere has it's own feel, the Joris has it's own feel, the Gillette Tech has it's own feel and the Futur has it's own feel.

So for those on the fence, hope this helps you decide to get one.

0 26
 07-23-2015, 07:20 PM
User Info
I recently got one with the satin finish, and tried it at 1.5 with a Polsilver. Surprisingly nice shave, and not at all slippery as I had feared.

1 58
 07-23-2015, 11:13 PM
User Info
Enjoy it! It is an outstanding and highly efficient razor. Very smooth shaves with it.

0 16
 07-24-2015, 05:14 AM
User Info
Futur razors are one of Merkur's best selling razors and rightfully so as they perform very well. Nice purchase.

121 13,128
 07-24-2015, 05:18 AM
User Info
Congrats !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 07-24-2015, 06:21 AM
User Info
Congratulations, it is a nice razor and should last you a long time.

61 3,796
 07-24-2015, 06:52 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Excellent razor! One of my favorites. Performs really well. I use it at 4. Always gives me smooth and close shaves!

49 1,999
 08-25-2015, 02:12 PM
User Info
I just had my first shave with this razor. 
I had it on the mildest-getting-to-know-you setting. 
Amazingly efficient cutter, loud and smooth. Same for ATG pass. No nicks. No irritation. BBS even around the chin. 

I had the Progress in the past and I sold it. This is nothing like the Progress, or any other DE for that matter. 

The head design is just brilliant. It is a bit bulky but i go XTG under the nose with every other razor anyway. 

I think I like it even better than the Trader SB and New LC which for me worked the best - until now that is. 

It is just the first shave but I its a beginning of a beautiful friendship. 

[img]www.collegeokplease.com/uploads/2015-03-10/1425967364.gif[/img]

6 832
 08-25-2015, 02:26 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
My problem with the Futur was that I was always afraid it would slip out of my hands. This fear would translate into my sqeezing the handle too hard and in turn pressing the razor too hard against my face. Finally, I found a simple fix to the problem. All it took was a few o rings.
[Image: qNZmprT.jpg]

68 1,068
 08-25-2015, 02:28 PM
User Info
I used mine a handful of times and decided to set it aside and come back to it later.  I like aggressive razors, and I played with the Futur between settings 3 and 6.  My favorite razors are my Progress at 6.5 (1.5 second time around), my Fatboy at 11 (custom gaps two levels higher than normal), and my R41 with a hefty MR3 handle.

I like the big blade gap on the Futur, but for some reason it doesn't really feel like the blade exposure changes that much, just the gap.  The shave didn't feel any more efficient to me at 6 than it did down at 3.  My theory is that as the gap increases the bend radius increases as well to maintain a pretty constant exposure.  Not sure if that's actually true or not, just a theory.  Whatever the reason, it just didn't feel nearly as comfortable or close as my other two adjustables.  I plan to give it another go for a couple of weeks after SEptember and OCtober are over.  If I still feel the same way, then it may be the first DE I give up.

What I think I would really like is a Progress with Futur-sized blade gaps.  That might be my unicorn.

1 297
 08-26-2015, 08:33 AM
User Info
My first couple of shaves with my futur were great too. Then for whatever reason I just can't get a good shave with the thing. It went from a razor I loved the feel of to a razor I regret ever buying. YMMV

3 1,356
 09-09-2015, 02:31 AM
User Info
I had a few terrific shaves with it and 2 mediocre ones. Something was not right and I recalled that the description in TSS admits that Futur razors are not perfectly even with one side being more aggressive than the other, and indeed, one side did feel mild and the other felt that the blade was sticking out more. 
TSS suggests to compensate for that with the way you place the blade. 
There are many threads about it at B&B and it was suggested to assemble it when the dial is set on 1. 
While it was very hard to see the difference by eye, i did make sure to have it at 1 and that indeed did the trick and both sides felt equal at shave time and boy, what a great shave. 
Putting the tolerances issue aside, after all it is Merkur, it is currently my favorite shaver. It is almost too easy for me to get a perfect BBS without any irritation, and it is so close, it takes the beard 36 hours at least to grow back to a point i can shave again, which messes up my schedule.

6 832
 09-09-2015, 03:00 AM
User Info
Shaved with it today and it is an outstanding value, the razor  feels like a million bucks

21 1,175
 09-09-2015, 04:42 AM
User Info
The Futur is one of my all time favorite safety razors, so much so that I own each of the three variants. Smile The polished chrome and gold are are quite slippery, so not really recommended although they do look really good. The grip on the satin is just perfect for me, although I kind of liked the (now discontinued) Vision more in terms of grip, due to the larger diameter base. Both provide nice audible feedback. On settings 2 or 3 the Futur is a nice mild but efficient razor.

0 14
 09-09-2015, 04:43 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
The Merkur Futur is a wonderful razor. Aside from wanting to try out a Wolfman SB, the futur kind of killed my RAD. Its been my daily driver for the last month. I believe this is a razor you have to respect to get respect (Or get cut lol). The weight has a great balance and sound feedback is awesome. Really enjoy using my Futur.

10 963
 09-09-2015, 08:18 PM
User Info
I have bought and sold 2 Futurs.  I'm now on my 3rd, enough said.

My favorite modern adjustable

192 1,588
 09-09-2015, 09:03 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I regret selling mine, but it went to a good home. 2.5 was gold for me too.

143 1,984
 09-10-2015, 04:25 AM
User Info
I sold mine about 7 months or so ago and I have another one being delivered today. Blush I really enjoyed it, so I am not exactly sure why I sold it in the first place.

74 2,277
 09-10-2015, 05:54 AM
User Info
Futur was my second razor introduction to DE shaving . I bought and sold two times. Excellent razor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 09-10-2015, 06:54 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
I have one on order.  I can't wait for it to arrive.  It will be my first adjustable razor.

61 507