Poll: If you've tried the 2011 Mühle R41, what did you think?
This poll is closed.
I loved it.
37.50% of votes
It was okay.
31.25% of votes
It did not work for me.
31.25% of votes
* You voted for this item.
 06-22-2012, 11:01 AM
User Info
The version of the Mühle open-comb R41 introduced in 2011 made quite a splash. For me, it has provided an incredibly harsh shave, but true to the YMMV aspect of shaving, quite a few guys have told me that they love it.

I the Slant breakdown interesting: 70% love it, only 7% found that it didn't work. Very good showing in the "love" department.

I'm curious to compare the results of the 2011 R41 reactions.

0 101
 06-22-2012, 11:38 AM
User Info
Hated it! I'm thankful to a gracious member here who allowed my to try his. That week+ with the R41 saved me the hassle of buying it & then selling it. Thanks again Dave!

31 7,912
 06-22-2012, 11:43 AM
User Info
It was okay, but pointless for me. The shave was not as comfortable or as close as what I get with a straight, and there are a lot of other DE razors that I liked better, and that shave me better without being as finicky as the R41.

It works for some people........just not for me.

37 1,731
 06-22-2012, 11:55 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(06-22-2012, 11:38 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Hated it! I'm thankful to a gracious member here who allowed my to try his. That week+ with the R41 saved me the hassle of buying it & then selling it. Thanks again Dave!

No problem. I loved the R41 for a while, but after using a few non-aggressive razors, I went back to it and sold it after a few shaves. It was just too aggressive for me. I'll go one step further and say that I think the R41 is a good razor for a new shaver and here's my reason for that. The R41 doesn't care about technique. You don't have to have any technique to use the R41 because it mows down everything it's path. It works despite technique flaws. It was great when I was a new shaver, but once I learned proper angles and techniques, it was far too harsh for me. I might be wrong on that (probably am) but thats how I feel about it.

116 3,804
 06-22-2012, 12:58 PM
User Info
Michael, i also found it too aggressive the first time i shaved with it as i was using the same technique as most of my other razors, but since adjusting the angle and ameliorating my technique, it has been providing me with some very, very good shaves with hardly any irritation. Bizarre, as i could not use the Joris, FaTip, or the Tradere! As always, YMMV.
i would recommend you give it another try, possibly.

75 20,883
 06-22-2012, 01:56 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I voted that I love it but really only in moderation at this point.
That's because when I use it, I must remain focused and concentrate completely because it'll bite me quickly if I deviate.

I bought it about 5 months into my wet shaving journey and I have to agree with Dave. It'll mow down anything regardless of good or bad technique but as I get better and better, I find that I don't need something so aggressive to get a great shave.

I still wish to keep it around and I break it out from time to time, especially if I've gone several days without a shave.

6 905
 06-22-2012, 02:03 PM
User Info
It didn't worked for me. But I must confess that I've only tried it a couple of times, borrowed by a friend.

2 5,527
 06-22-2012, 02:59 PM
User Info
@celestino: I tried it twice (i.e., bought one, used it for a few shaves, then sold it; then someone raved so much about it that I thought I must have been mistaken and bought another---same story). With the second I used it at the very shallow angle recommended. Still no dice: it worked okay, but it was not an enjoyable shave. I had much the same problem with the Tradere. With the Tradere, I'm hoping it was a version 1.0 problem. (The very first iKon was also too harsh for regular use, but every one since has been extraordinarily comfortable.)

@EHV

Just out of curiosity, have you tried a Slant? For me the Slant removes stubble with amazing easy and efficiency (that's "aggressive" in the good sense), but is also a comfortable and enjoyable shave: I don't feel that I'm on tenterhooks for the entire shave. For me the R41 was "aggressive" in the bad sense: pushy, must be watched.

0 101
 06-22-2012, 05:33 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Michael,

Yes, I have and love a 39C Sledgehammer Slant. I agree 100% with you. It's very comfortable for me as well and I do not find it overly aggressive. It's just right and yes, it too will mow down several days worth of growth and ultimately do so in a more comfortable and relaxed manner than the R41.

Interestingly, my R41 is the Grande model with the longer handle and I wonder if it's actually a tad more aggressive than the regular, shorter handled model?

I guess that aside from the fact that I can make the R41 work for me, I love having "the big gun" around even though I can get amazing results elsewhere with less drama. Biggrin

6 905
 06-22-2012, 06:27 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
It's ok, but definitely not an enjoyable shaver for me!

I'm thinking of trying a slant, but prefer OC.

91 17,801
 06-22-2012, 06:58 PM
User Info
Well, I think it would make a terrible noob razor specifically because it's so aggressive. Technique must be 100% or the face will be hamburger. It also requires an ultra sharp blade, smooth is a plus also.

I love my '11 R41 but I don't use it everyday. I absolutely love the shave it delivers. When I must put off 5:00 shadow as long as possible I reach for the R41.

It is unnerving when the blade is first put to the face, the flexing of it that is felt.

I'm actually surprised at the numbers, I didn't think the positive selection would be as high as it is.

32 6,308
 06-22-2012, 07:15 PM
User Info
*Thanks for the update, Michael. i guess YMMV as always! Enjoy your shaves, my friend.Biggrin

[quote='Leisureguy' pid='50027' dateline='1340405943']
@celestino: I tried it twice (i.e., bought one, used it for a few shaves, then sold it; then someone raved so much about it that I thought I must have been mistaken and bought another---same story). With the second I used it at the very shallow angle recommended. Still no dice: it worked okay, but it was not an enjoyable shave. I had much the same problem with the Tradere. With the Tradere, I'm hoping it was a version 1.0 problem. (The very first iKon was also too harsh for regular use, but every one since has been extraordinarily comfortable.)

75 20,883
 06-22-2012, 07:55 PM
User Info
(06-22-2012, 11:43 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: It was okay, but pointless for me. The shave was not as comfortable or as close as what I get with a straight, and there are a lot of other DE razors that I liked better, and that shave me better without being as finicky as the R41.

It works for some people........just not for me.

I feel the same way. It works, but the extra time it takes to shave without weepers is just wasted time. The shave is pretty far from smooth and comfortable compared to nearly every other razor I've used and I don't think it shaves any closer than the slant does. It's a pretty razor, just not user friendly. Even with tons of use you never get any faster shaving with it. It doesn't inspire confidence either.

I can get a smoother, closer, more comfortable shave from a straight.

9 451
 06-22-2012, 08:19 PM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
It's just ok for me. Requires an awful lot of concentration.
I can just as close a shave from other razors without as much potential for blood loss.

5 270
 06-23-2012, 07:07 PM
User Info
(06-22-2012, 12:58 PM)celestino Wrote: Michael, i also found it too aggressive the first time i shaved with it as i was using the same technique as most of my other razors, but since adjusting the angle and ameliorating my technique, it has been providing me with some very, very good shaves with hardly any irritation. Bizarre, as i could not use the Joris, FaTip, or the Tradere! As always, YMMV.
i would recommend you give it another try, possibly.

Well as my good friend and Brother states...YMMV! For me, it is in my top two razors. I have found it to be very blade dependent... Gillette Yellows for example, while providing a close shave, make my skin feel "over shaved" and raw.....but without an visible sign of burn.

Two things that works well for me....Angle.....the angle used on the R41 is considerably different than I use on other razors....what works for me, is with handle closer to the floor...more steep than I may use for example with my NEW.

And second is no pressure truly means no pressure. I use the R41 with a iKon Bulldog handle, load with a SI or Gillette black and let the tool do all the work and can get a BBS with 2 passes plus touch ups, and I have a thick, coarse beard with lots of wirey gray.

Don't give up brother!! The results are worth the effort!!

......and celestino....you know I will continue to bug you about the fatip till you try it again!! Tongue

0 66
 06-23-2012, 09:38 PM
  • Dino
  • St Helens, England
User Info
I clicked on I love it, I kinda fall in between that and its OK, as its not that smooth a shave but, it does give me a dam good shave 2 pass and touch ups = BBS most times I use it,I use it about 2-3 times a month so its always in my rotation

1 68
 06-24-2012, 09:14 PM
User Info
I had great results with the R41, but my face always felt raw afterwards. It has been at least 2 months since I have picked it up.

I can get the same results with my FaTip Grande, but with less irriatation. I will soon be doing an R1 second test, this time trying a much varied list of blades and even handles.

I do like the efficiency, a lot.

5 833
 06-25-2012, 07:04 AM
User Info
@Azarius: Just out of curiosity, given your desire for shaving efficiency, have you tried a slant?

0 101
 06-25-2012, 08:58 PM
User Info
Interesting thread. I've tried a wide variety of de razors and I absolutely love the R41 with an Ikon Bulldog handle. My closest shaves are with the R41 and the Slant. I found the Slant to leave my face feeling "over shaved", while I get consistent bbs shaves with virtually no irritation with the R41.

6 126
 06-25-2012, 09:10 PM
User Info
Michael, I love your enthusiasm for the torquer razors. They are the only DE that works well for me. Otherwise I stick with SE razors, usually of the open comb variety. Have you been able to try an open comb torquer? I think that would be the ultimate in DE shaving for me. If you've tried and OC torquer, can you describe any difference you noticed compared to the closed combs? Thanks!

31 7,912