07-22-2015, 03:13 PM
User Info
I was browsing earlier and the semogue owners club in Cherry 2band badger brush really caught my eye. To me it looks like a very nice brush,but I never hear anything about it. The S.O.C. boar on the other hand gets highly praised. Anybody have the 2band soc or had one? If so what did you think? The only badger I have now is a Simpson Duke 3 in best.

3 1,356
 07-22-2015, 03:53 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I have 4 nice Semogue badger brushes. The SOC of which you speak, the 2013 Olivewood Special Edition, a 2015HD and a 2040HD.

All have excellent backbone. Of the four, the 2013 SE had/has the softest knot (out of the box, as they say) and the SOC had the firmest, scritchiest. With break-in, the SOC's tips have softened considerably. It has also seen vastly improved flowthrough. My only complaint with the 2013SE is that the handle is not as ergonomically comfortable as the SOC or the 2015HD (for me).

Not that you asked, but the 2040HD feels denser than the others, and the 2015HD feels the least dense. The SOC in my estimation follows the 2040HD in density, followed by the 2013SE and then the 2015HD. Maybe its all got something to do with knot diameter and loft. 

Also, fwiw, the knot on the 2013SE has a different look than the other three. It's a "browner/tanner" looking knot. I'll snap some closeup pix later. Right now I'm on my way to the airport to pickup my child from an overseas jaunt. So I may not have a chance to snap pix until much later. For now, this is the only pic I can share. Do you see what i mean about the difference in knot color? The Semogue badgers are from L to R in the front row: SOC, 2015HD, 2013SE Olivewood and (the inverted) 2040HD.

All the brushes feel different. I'm glad I have them and would recommend any of them. The SOC is the easiest to find. Hope it helps. 

[Image: lNuY3Wv.jpg]

7 2,142
 07-22-2015, 03:56 PM
User Info
Thanks for the reply,and yes I see what you mean by the difference in hair color as well. I may give it a try seems like a fair price.

3 1,356
 07-22-2015, 04:32 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
You talking bout the SOC or 2013SE? The SOC is less $$.

7 2,142
 07-22-2015, 04:35 PM
User Info
Semogue soc in Cherry wood ,sorry. It's 66 dollars where I found it. I love the looks of this handle, so if I hate it maybe I can send it to Larry at whipped dog and have em do something with it.

3 1,356
 07-22-2015, 05:08 PM
User Info
I had one a few years ago and tried one again for a second time around 2 years about, but found it/them too scrubby compared to my other 2-Band badgers I had. I found the hair to be very good with the knot being sufficiently dense. However, the scrub it exhibited was more than I cared for. 
Having said this, I would like to try it for a third time as I have much more experience, now, and might appreciate it for its qualities and characteristics. For the price, I believe it is an exceptional brush compared to the much higher end ones.

83 21,077
 07-22-2015, 05:16 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I have no experience with any other 2 band brushes but I've been aware of folks extolling their virtues for some time. Compared to my other three Semogue silvertips the 2 band SOC was initially the least soft, most scritchy. But like I said, its breaking in nicely and is not the same brush as it was 6 weeks ago.

7 2,142
 07-22-2015, 05:18 PM
User Info
(07-22-2015, 03:53 PM)chazt Wrote: I have 4 nice Semogue badger brushes. The SOC of which you speak, the 2013 Olivewood Special Edition, a 2015HD and a 2040HD.

All have excellent backbone. Of the four, the 2013 SE had/has the softest knot (out of the box, as they say) and the SOC had the firmest, scritchiest. With break-in, the SOC's tips have softened considerably. It has also seen vastly improved flowthrough. My only complaint with the 2013SE is that the handle is not as ergonomically comfortable as the SOC or the 2015HD (for me).

Not that you asked, but the 2040HD feels denser than the others, and the 2015HD feels the least dense. The SOC in my estimation follows the 2040HD in density, followed by the 2013SE and then the 2015HD. Maybe its all got something to do with knot diameter and loft. 

Also, fwiw, the knot on the 2013SE has a different look than the other three. It's a "browner/tanner" looking knot. I'll snap some closeup pix later. Right now I'm on my way to the airport to pickup my child from an overseas jaunt. So I may not have a chance to snap pix until much later. For now, this is the only pic I can share. Do you see what i mean about the difference in knot color? The Semogue badgers are from L to R in the front row: SOC, 2015HD, 2013SE Olivewood and (the inverted) 2040HD.

All the brushes feel different. I'm glad I have them and would recommend any of them. The SOC is the easiest to find. Hope it helps. 

[Image: lNuY3Wv.jpg]
Beautiful collection.

39 3,919
 07-22-2015, 06:16 PM
User Info
They have the same handle and silvertip instead of 2 band .

3 1,356
 07-22-2015, 07:29 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Thanks, Primo. I'm pleased with its evolution  Biggrin

7 2,142
 07-22-2015, 09:59 PM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
I have the SOC 2 band in Cherry.

Although I have no other 2 band or top end Badger to compare against, I really enjoy this brush and find the tips plenty soft enough for my liking. Mine is almost an exclusive face latherer and has more than enough backbone for hard soaps such as MWF & Tabac.

There is a thread somewhere on the SOC 2 Band.

Here we are, found it : http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...SOC+2+band

0 403
 07-22-2015, 10:06 PM
User Info
I have owned the SOC Chery 2-band.
Nice brush, FOR THE PRICE, but in my quest to only have HIGH END top perfornming badgers in my den, it had to leave.

24 5,965
 07-23-2015, 06:59 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
The SOC 2Band is one of my favorites. Although not the softest, it does have a little scrub. And for the price its very hard to beat IMO. I've had mine for over 2 years and still enjoy using it. Then again Semogue is my favorite SB brand.

10 963
 07-23-2015, 07:11 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
No problems enjoying my SOC 2 band badger. It has good backbone with soft enough tips and flow through once broken in. The handle is very comfortably to use when face lathering too. It is a very good brush, imo, "for the price" and that is not condemning it in the least. That only makes it more appealing to me as you'd likely have to pay 2X and much more to gain some improvement, if you cared to. No regrets having bought it.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-23-2015, 08:01 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(07-22-2015, 05:08 PM)celestino Wrote: I would like to try it for a third time as I have much more experience, now, and might appreciate it for its qualities and characteristics.

This could be arranged...   Biggrin

I received mine last week and I have to say it is a much different beastie than the one I owned a couple of years ago.  The hair seems to have a browner top and the knot isn't near as dense now as it was the last time I owned this brush. 

Much better flow through, softer tips (still a very slight hint of scritch at certain angles after about 3 uses but it is fading fast) that will soften up still further under use.  Nothing like the rough scritch and extreme scrub the one from 2 years ago exhibited. 

There is a noticeable glue bump but unlike the one I owned in the past, the density is a bit less this time and I find it works well in enhancing the backbone of this brush.  I'm very happy that the "scrub factor" that was so very much present 2 years ago has been much reduced.

The handle is just as ergonomic as before and the brush works very well on hard soaps either face or bowl lathering.

Will it take the place of my Paladin or Wiborg White for top rung in my shave den?  I don't think so.  But it is truly a pleasure to use.

Here it is beside my SOC Boar.

Attached Files Image(s)

14 871
 07-23-2015, 09:03 AM
User Info
I decided to go with a whipped dog 30mm silvertip lol. Match my 30mm synthetic and the price is amazing.

3 1,356
 07-23-2015, 09:13 AM
User Info
I only wish that the Semogue SOC 2-Band badger would come in a much larger knot, such as 28-30mm. Biggrin

83 21,077
 07-23-2015, 09:17 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
To me, it feels more like a 26mm bulb on the face due to its knot shape. Even though it has a 24mm size. A nice change of pace from my Polo 10, lol.

Sent from my mobile phone. Please excuse any typos.

14 871
 07-23-2015, 09:40 AM
User Info
I had a recent SOC 2-band. I liked the size, both the handle and knot had excellent dimensions. But I found the brush to be a little uncomfortable. It had too much scrub and a bit too much scritch for my tastes. I have sensitive skin and it didn't appreciate the brush at all. I like a bit of scrub, but this was too much.

I also have an SOC boar that I'm currently breaking in. I only have about 20 shaves on it so far, so it's only half way broken in, but I see a lot of potential for it.

3 92
 07-23-2015, 09:45 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
I'm a big time fan of Semogue (being half-portuguese and all), i find them incredibly good for the prices, compared to some brands, and most of then gorgeous.

The SOC 2-band was one of my first interests, but i heard that the recent 2-band knots were not as good as some older ones (and maybe thats the reason it doenst get more attention) and thats why only this year i bought one, with this older knot, from my friend TheMonk.

It is a superb brush. I'm not a "gel-like-type-of-guy" and dont mind some scrub, but even so, its greatly soft and has huge backbone. Incredible brush.

4 447