07-23-2015, 10:45 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
We all hold opinions, folk beliefs and deeply ingrained prejudices. All of us, in some way also hold wisdom bought with long experience, formal
education, trial and error or direct observation. We have one of several artificial lakes in my area; Westlake, Malibu,Sherwood and a few more long dried up. I'm down at 'the lake' a few weeks past. An acquaintance was talking to 'the commodore' about purchasing a sailboat. This
commodore doesn't care for me. I applied for a P/T courtesy boat patrol job right after my separation from the USCG. I'm interviewing with this
guy's own father; the previous 'commodore' of the lake sailing club. He's bug eyed a rated surfman/lifeboat coxswain was available. I didn't get the job. The present commodore did, at least until caught smoking pot, shooting ducks with an air rifle and goofing off while a newly arrived Vietnamese refugee drowned not 30 feet from where he sat talking to some HS girls.
So, fast forward almost 3 decades later. The mutual acquaintance listened to the commodore VS me and bought a very old WESTSAIL double ender that passed it's prepurchase survey by virtue of sitting moored for nearly as many decades. He took it out-WAY out into the channel during our recent 'storm' and discovered why I called it a 'WETSNAIL' as it struggle in a following sea (a double ender's forte') managed to leak into the forward compartment soaking everything and took a broadside wave that sent his Weem und Plath solid brass sextant over the side. He finally managed to lose his mainsail and had to be towed to Avalon after running out of gas.

2 3,171
 07-23-2015, 10:50 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I would have advised him to buy a paddle board instead.  Biggrin

52 20,402
 07-23-2015, 11:41 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Or, as a senior CPO told the class ' don't go near the water' first lecture in my heavy surf training on the Columbia River.

2 3,171
 07-23-2015, 07:09 PM
User Info
Brilliant!  Biggrin

89 21,239
 07-24-2015, 12:25 PM
User Info
SPEAK ENGLISH!

Just kidding bro. Aside from helping g'pa load and unload his fishing boat seeming every weekend of ever summer from Kentucky dam to Rend Lake, I never understood a damn word of nautical speak. Really, its just like a second language. In fact, I have have been known to rewind Pirates of the Caribbean movies just because I couldnt understand what they were saying.

But as I say that, having retired from the USAF after 23 yrs, I'm sure my language patterns and use of acronyms are far different from yours, yet totally understandable to many others.

When people ask me about my choice to join the USAF, I often readily admit I would have had just as much fun in the USCG, and encourage others to look into it. Not many land-lock corn-belt boys go for such a drastic change in scenery at 17 yrs old. I made this decision after a 2 month deployment to the Turks and Caicos islands in the early 90s.

To your story, karma can be (dog in heat).

8 169