07-23-2015, 02:29 PM
User Info
I took a brief few moments to take a look at "classic" aftershaves at a well known department store this week. Including "echt Koelnisch Wasser" along with English Leather, British Sterling Pierre Cardin, and other "cheap" mass produced aftershaves/scents. The Koelnisch Wasser seemed to not be echt - real, from Koln, nor like wasser- water. All seemed fairly nasty with the English Leather almost as good as when M+M was making it. There have been discussions about the old E.L. elsewhere being much better than today's. To me none of what is available is what I'd use.

Comments? What are favorite after shave treatments for you guys?

0 13
 07-29-2015, 01:46 PM
User Info
I don't use AS/Colognes/Splashes as I just find their synthetic components unappealing and a bit of an assault on the olfactory senses. I have found a nice essential oil retailer who mixes their own blends/combinations that are very nice. My favourite is a Bergamot/Vetiver one, which is just lovely.  Shy

83 21,115
 07-29-2015, 02:48 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I can tell you my sole retailer for scent- BULLGOOSE. Why should I fight for parking, take point for 5 clicks across  bandit country parking lots into malls to be assaulted in all 6 senses and give business to some retailer with a goth cashier looking angry because she has a job?

2 3,171
 07-29-2015, 03:18 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I don't mind the the brands the OP finds unappealing. I can say that the koelnisch wasser smells the same to me today as it did 50 years ago so it ain't changed.

The only time I had any compliments paid by women on what I was wearing, 3 times in all these years, was when I had on Drakkar Noir, Tabac and Dunhill for men. 

Worked in a pulp and paper mill most of my life so smelling good was not really a requirement when a lot of the time you were soaked in sweat. Oddly you could smell too good which would get you razzed. Probably explains my laissez faire attitude to after shaves.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-02-2015, 03:43 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-23-2015, 02:29 PM)Frodo Baggins Wrote: I took a brief few moments to take a look at "classic" aftershaves at a well known department store this week.

Comments? What are favorite after shave treatments for you guys?

I have been steadfastly loyal to one aftershave splash for 53 or 54 years, never yielding to the siren song of another.  Honestly, it was then, and it is now, my favorite scent, and — mirabile dictu! — the same aftershave splash, with the same formulation, remains available to purchase today.  

However.  

However, I still have not finished (though I am getting close) my first (8 fluid ounce) bottle of it.  I just do not use aftershave splash all that much.
[Image: E3u2IhE.jpg]

1 1,110
 08-02-2015, 04:52 PM
User Info
I broke down and bought a bottle of Creed Green Irish Tweed aftershave balm last weekend at Neiman Marcus. It performs about the same as my Soap Commander balm but the scent is outstanding. I don't know if I would ever replace it though due to the price but it has been pleasure to experience the the true scent that so many artisans try to duplicate. I only use it once or twice a week when I shave with my Catie's Bubbles LTV, which it pairs with quite well.

13 947
 12-28-2015, 02:24 PM
User Info
a large majority of what i use is what you find in a barbershop. but i do like Clubman's Master Well Comb A/S and Gabel's.  i also like Aqua Velva. Gilleette Cool Splash{?} and Adidas is good too. oh, and Fine's American Scent.  but i have yet to try Lucky Tiger.

0 189
 01-10-2016, 12:49 AM
User Info
Clubman Vanilla
Pitralon Classic and Polar
English Leather
Paco Rabanne 1 million/

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-10-2016, 04:49 AM
User Info
About the only store brand, Mass produced I use is Aqua Velva Ice Sport. I have Clubman but find it can be a little heavy for my taste.

148 3,602
 01-10-2016, 07:06 AM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
(01-10-2016, 12:49 AM)C-NoEviL Wrote: Clubman Vanilla
Pitralon Classic and Polar
English Leather
Paco Rabanne 1 million/

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Yes clubman vanilla is where it's at.. so fresh.

3 227
 01-10-2016, 10:18 AM
User Info
I like to mix olive oil, castor oil, sunflower oil, and a little bit of essential oils (rosemary, tea tree, cedarwood).  I have a small olive oil container with a cork stopper that I store my aftershave in.  that stuff is great.

0 173
 01-10-2016, 05:27 PM
User Info
I used several of the m ass market AS when I was in high school and college (68 - 76), my favorite being English Leather. Drakor Noir and British Sterling were good backup scents. Today's artisan formulas seem to be a lot more face friendly. Are there any AS being made to today similar to the old English Leather formula? I have a bottle of the new formula and find it a little harsh. What could I use to cut it? Witch Hazel? Distilled water?

Thanks

19 101
 01-13-2016, 10:29 AM
User Info
Technically, Acqua di Parma is a department store aftershave. I found it at Neimans Wink.

And it is my favorite! The most soothing and pleasantly scented product I have yet used.

3 1,484
 01-16-2016, 09:31 AM
User Info
Good discussion guys, much more than I'd expected.

0 13