07-25-2015, 05:27 AM
User Info
Anybody tried Institut Karite after shave balm?  Well, I ordered a 250 ml bottle, and it just arrived yesterday.  Just had a shave, and tried it out.

Oh my goodness.

First of all, it has a ton of ingredients—like about 30.  Alcohol isn’t one of them.  Shea butter certainly is.  Apparently it’s 25% shea butter.

So, on it went.  OK, not my usual cooling menthol splash, and obviously no burn.  But it isn’t greasy.  Really soothing if you’ve had a less than perfect shave.  Skin feels great.  No reaction from my highly sensitive skin.  Just nice and smooth, and very moisturizing.

Now, the scent.   Oh    my    goodness.   It's terrible.  Reminds me of the milky rose-scented hand cream my next door neighbour’s grandmother used to apply every hour.  Awful, sweet, powdery fragrance.  I guess if there’s any good news, it only lasts about 1 ½ hours.  It’s been that long since I used it, and the scent is pretty well gone.  But, it was a sickening, lingering smell.

I also purchased the Institut Karite 100% shea butter.  Haven’t tried that yet, but I have a feeling my neck is going to like it.

What’s your experience with the after shave balm?

1 405
 07-25-2015, 09:58 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
One of my favorite balms, and often overlooked. As you mentioned, it doesn't have any cooling effect whatsoever, but it is extremely soothing and hydrating, ideal for those less then perfect shaves. Skin just feels fantastic afterwards. I tend to also use it as a daily facial cream, it's just that good. The scent is actually pleasant to me, just a clean milky scent.

26 4,929
 11-17-2015, 11:12 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Definitely one of my faves.

1 795
 11-18-2015, 02:33 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
David,
It is a superb product, and I have used it for many years.

150 3,038
 11-18-2015, 09:17 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
It is great, but David pretty much nailed the scent. It's a bad synthetic, plasticky rose that reminds me of drugstore products of the '60s and early '70s.

May I suggest Pre de Provence ASB as an alternative?

Cheers, Steve

7 528