07-25-2015, 12:42 PM
User Info
I know this is a topic that has been visited in the past frequently but I need to be the one to ask this time:

Is there a difference between Med Preps and Labs? What is it? Is it of significance? Am I going to know the difference? Both certainly receive high praise but I've yet to try either.

Thanks for the feedback

2 205
 07-25-2015, 12:52 PM
  • Kyrlos
  • Vancouver BC Canada
User Info
It's my understanding that there's no difference, except the Med. Preps add an additional cleaning step to the process. This step prepares the blade for medical (hospital) use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 400
 07-25-2015, 01:17 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I can't tell them apart, but there are some epic threads elsewhere that claim that they are different enough to warrant a 100% markup for the "hospital use" variety.   I'll still go with Feathers ..

45 492
 07-25-2015, 01:21 PM
User Info
I find the Med Preps significantly smoother and sharper than Lab Blues--plus there's no glue droplets on the Med Preps. I like Feathers, but I like my Med Preps more. They are up there with Polsilver SI IMO.

39 3,956
 07-25-2015, 01:36 PM
User Info
I believe it was mantic who looked at them under a microscope and he said they were exactly the same. I've tried them both and can't tell a difference.

3 1,356
 07-25-2015, 01:50 PM
User Info
(07-25-2015, 01:36 PM)Otis375 Wrote: I believe it was mantic who looked at them under a microscope and he said they were exactly the same. I've tried them both and can't tell a difference.
It's funny, I had purchased a 100 pack of Lab Blues. I got not an insignificant number of blades that would not get me into the 4th shave before pulling and dragging and nicking. I also experienced a rougher contact between blade and skin with the LB. Than I purchased 100 Med Preps. The price of the Med Preps is high, no doubt and I wasn't going to cut these blades a lick of slack when critiquing them. I was not disappointed. They are everything and more. Med Preps, Polsilver SI and Feather, in that order.

39 3,956
 07-25-2015, 03:52 PM
User Info
(07-25-2015, 12:52 PM)Kyrlos Wrote: It's my understanding that there's no difference, except the Med. Preps add an additional cleaning step to the process. This step prepares the blade for medical (hospital) use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've read the same thing... Some sort of extra sterilization for medical use.

0 1,099
 07-25-2015, 04:52 PM
User Info
(07-25-2015, 01:50 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(07-25-2015, 01:36 PM)Otis375 Wrote: I believe it was mantic who looked at them under a microscope and he said they were exactly the same. I've tried them both and can't tell a difference.
It's funny, I had purchased a 100 pack of Lab Blues. I got not an insignificant number of blades that would not get me into the 4th shave before pulling and dragging and nicking. I also experienced a rougher contact between blade and skin with the LB. Than I purchased 100 Med Preps. The price of the Med Preps is high, no doubt and I wasn't going to cut these blades a lick of slack when critiquing them. I was not disappointed. They are everything and more. Med Preps, Polsilver SI and Feather, in that order.
Glad they work for you. I bought 25 med preps and 100 lab blues and I can't use either one. Maybe the med preps go through better qc because I too had some bad ones in the labs where the med preps were all gtg. They are sharp and they feel smooth ,its about 5 minutes after the shave my face feels on fire. I wanted to love these blades but my face wouldn't let me.

3 1,356
 07-25-2015, 05:00 PM
User Info
(07-25-2015, 04:52 PM)Otis375 Wrote:
(07-25-2015, 01:50 PM)primotenore Wrote:
Glad they work for you. I bought 25 med preps and 100 lab blues and I can't use either one. Maybe the med preps go through better qc because I too had some bad ones in the labs where the med preps were all gtg. They are sharp and they feel smooth ,its about 5 minutes after the shave my face feels on fire. I wanted to love these blades but my face wouldn't let me.
Agreed vis-a-vis Quality Control. Curious about your skin reaction. To what do you attribute the burning?

39 3,956
 07-25-2015, 07:11 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I have found Personna's quality control to be quite inconsistent, thus making it hard to render a decision one can consistently rely on.

That said, when the Meds and the Blues are both in top shape, I find them indistinguishable.

1 796
 07-25-2015, 07:56 PM
User Info
Sometimes the price being higher makes people ascribe higher qualities that just aren't there. 

With that said I only used Personna blades. When I used only DEs they where the only blades sharp enough to cut without tugging other than Feathers but Feathers just aren't near as smooth.

I use DEs near exclusively now, and again use Personna GEM and injector blades. No tugging and smooth. I can't tell the difference between modern Personna DE blades and Personna injector blades with the highly rated and expensive Personna 74 DE and injector blades.

I've never gotten a bad blade in all the time I've used them. I have no idea what people are talking about.

18 713
 07-26-2015, 04:42 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I own and use both. They feel the same to me.

7 2,379
 07-26-2015, 05:58 AM
User Info
Thanks for all the feedback.

2 205