07-26-2015, 03:36 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
[Image: Modern-Williams-shave-stick_zpsc3qwbixy.jpg]

Since grating, adding glycerin, mixing, packing and nuking 2 pucks of modern Williams to make a new puck worked so well I decided to try and make a shave stick. Re purposed a used screw up alum deodorant container and filled it with modern Williams reconstituted the same way as the puck. Left it out over night to set up but haven't tried it yet, maybe later today.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-26-2015, 05:46 AM
User Info
Please report your findings. I had a similar idea after first shaving with my old Williams. I am not a big fan of pushing them into shave mugs. I don't have the space.

39 3,918
 07-26-2015, 07:40 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Have to say it works like a charm. Whetted face, rubbed the stick liberally around and rubbed the damp synthetic brush on the end of the stick for good measure, then face lathered. Produced enough good lather for 3 passes with plenty left over. I did not have too much doubt that it would work as a friend on another forum sent me a home made MWF shave stick made by only grating the MWF no added glycerin. I think adding the glycerin is only necessary with modern Williams. Making a shave stick would probably be easier and have a better looking outcome if you used one of the new empty screw up containers available on the net. That is what my friend did for his MWF shave stick, very professional job.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-26-2015, 09:32 AM
User Info
Congratulations, Bob! I still think this is the best way to lather soaps.  Biggrin

82 21,077
 07-26-2015, 09:38 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(07-26-2015, 09:32 AM)celestino Wrote: Congratulations, Bob! I still think this is the best way to lather soaps.  Biggrin

Thanks and yes I think using a shave stick is a pretty good way to go. Also treating modern Williams to the grate, add glycerin and mix with a bit of nuking thrown in transforms it into a pretty passable shave soap. 

Bob

0 1,694
 07-26-2015, 11:25 AM
User Info
(07-26-2015, 09:38 AM)BobH Wrote: Thanks and yes I think using a shave stick is a pretty good way to go. Also treating modern Williams to the grate, add glycerin and mix with a bit of nuking thrown in transforms it into a pretty passable shave soap. 
Bob
Well, Bob. I have to say that you are much more patient and experimental than I as I just think there are way too many great soaps being offered, nowadays, to contemplate using anything like modern Williams, unless I was in desperate need!  Biggrin

82 21,077
 07-26-2015, 11:37 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(07-26-2015, 11:25 AM)celestino Wrote:
(07-26-2015, 09:38 AM)BobH Wrote: Thanks and yes I think using a shave stick is a pretty good way to go. Also treating modern Williams to the grate, add glycerin and mix with a bit of nuking thrown in transforms it into a pretty passable shave soap. 
Bob
Well, Bob. I have to say that you are much more patient and experimental than I as I just think there are way too many great soaps being offered, nowadays, to contemplate using anything like modern Williams, unless I was in desperate need!  Biggrin

Yes, I'd agree that there are too many great soaps to be bothered messing around with Williams. Being retired I thought why not see if it works just for S&Gs. Got my answer and now back to regularly scheduled great soaps.  Biggrin

Bob

0 1,694
 07-26-2015, 11:41 AM
User Info
No harm in experimenting and I have done much of that, but I am finished with that, now, as I have found my favourite soap. Biggrin

82 21,077