07-26-2015, 01:44 PM
  • e-dub
  • right brain: bna. left brain: dtw.
User Info
for those that have used the two grades, what would you say are the differences? would you say that finest has more backbone than white badger? 

thanks, guys.

41 666
 07-26-2015, 03:48 PM
User Info
From my experience no, both have excellent backbone but wiborg white has more backbone. Major difference was softness rather than backbone. Wiborg white is extremely soft. Really a pleasure to use. Also denser! Hope this helps Smile

14 482
 07-26-2015, 03:58 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(07-26-2015, 03:48 PM)1SOAP Wrote: From my experience no, both have excellent backbone but wiborg white has more backbone. Major difference was softness rather than backbone. Wiborg white is extremely soft. Really a pleasure to use. Also denser! Hope this helps Smile

+1 But if you are talking M&F I would have said density is similar.

Softness at tips I would definitely give the nod to Wiborg.

Sent from my mobile phone. Please excuse any typos.

14 871
 07-26-2015, 04:24 PM
User Info
(07-26-2015, 03:58 PM)Attila Wrote:
(07-26-2015, 03:48 PM)1SOAP Wrote: From my experience no, both have excellent backbone but wiborg white has more backbone. Major difference was softness rather than backbone. Wiborg white is extremely soft. Really a pleasure to use. Also denser! Hope this helps Smile

+1 But if you are talking M&F I would have said density is similar.

Softness at tips I would definitely give the nod to Wiborg.

Absolutely agree with everything you said. Wiborg White is some really soft hair

14 482
 07-26-2015, 04:31 PM
User Info
I can't agree. I sold the Wilborg as I didn't think it had enough backbone although it was very soft. No where near the backbone of any of the Simpson Manchurian or M&F finest that I own

46 489
 07-26-2015, 04:37 PM
User Info
All this pretty much sums it up! Wiborg is super dense with great backbone and soft tips. Finest is less dense with great backbone and soft clumping tips. Best way to find out is to buy both!

Edit

Let me add that I only have experience with wiborgs bulb knot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

82 2,253
 07-26-2015, 04:41 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(07-26-2015, 04:31 PM)AFG008 Wrote: I can't agree. I sold the Wilborg as I didn't think it had enough backbone although it was very soft. No where near the backbone of any of the Simpson Manchurian or M&F finest that I own

Well your opinion definitely carries weight... Was it the Wiborg White Badger that you had?

I guess I would agree the M&F would have a tad more backbone. But not too much more, from my own experience comparing my own brushes.

14 871
 07-26-2015, 06:05 PM
  • e-dub
User Info
i'm thinking of ordering one, but i want one that has more backbone and i like face feel, too. i love my scrubby morris + forndran *blonde knots and my finests don't have as much scrub, but they certainly let you know you've got a brush on your face. the two wiborg white badgers have been extremely soft and yielding. that's a good thing when i want that, but i don't usually go for that.

*edit

41 666
 07-26-2015, 06:10 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Personally, I enjoy the variety. But if I had to pick only one to take to a desert Island. It would be the Wiborg.

14 871
 07-26-2015, 06:11 PM
User Info
(07-26-2015, 06:05 PM)e-dub Wrote: i'm thinking of ordering one, but i want one that has more backbone and i like face feel, too. i love my scrubby morris + forndran scrubby knots and my finests don't have as much scrub, but they certainly let you know you've got a brush on your face. the two wiborg white badgers have been extremely soft and yielding. that's a good thing when i want that, but i don't usually go for that.

Dubya, perhaps the non-White Badger knots may have some more scrub in them. It seems that most people who have Wiborg brushes get White Badger, as it is their specialty. 

At the very least, you could email them and ask if their regular silvertip knots have a bit more scrub.

11 489
 07-26-2015, 06:15 PM
  • e-dub
User Info
yeah, i shot an email asking which of his knots have a bit more spinal fortitude.

41 666
 07-26-2015, 06:17 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Rolls Royce and Bentleys are pretty much the same car except for the radiator grill and ornament for most of their  production. Wiburgs are like that, plus it seems "If you have to ask the price you can't afford one". Given that climate change will make this sub species extinct, white badger
seems like a future collectable with exclusivity a bragging right in the cost. So, for us unwashed masses; how much do these "out of stock" brushes cost?

2 3,171
 07-26-2015, 06:28 PM
User Info
(07-26-2015, 06:05 PM)e-dub Wrote: i'm thinking of ordering one, but i want one that has more backbone and i like face feel, too. i love my scrubby morris + forndran *blonde knots and my finests don't have as much scrub, but they certainly let you know you've got a brush on your face. the two wiborg white badgers have been extremely soft and yielding. that's a good thing when i want that, but i don't usually go for that.

*edit

Eric, if you're looking for more scrub similar to your Blonde Badgers, I doubt you'll find it with Wiborg's Finest or White Badger, both of which are extremely soft. 
Simpson's Manchurian would be your best option, at the moment, unless you want to contact Lee Sabini for another one. Semogue SOC 2-Band and Vie-Long 2-Band would be better choices for some scrub. 
Good luck.

83 21,115
 07-26-2015, 07:01 PM
  • e-dub
User Info
yes, i adore my manchurians and sabini finest knots. i'm ok with the softness of the white badger, but i wish it had more backbone. i'm hoping florian's finest would be a good compromise, but i may be wrong there? 

i'll pass on the word from florian to you guys once i hear from him.

41 666
 07-26-2015, 08:48 PM
User Info
(07-26-2015, 07:01 PM)e-dub Wrote: yes, i adore my manchurians and sabini finest knots. i'm ok with the softness of the white badger, but i wish it had more backbone. i'm hoping florian's finest would be a good compromise, but i may be wrong there? 
If you want that similar softness, but with more backbone, then you might want to consider ordering a cusotm Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band and ask Bernd to make it denser than usual. You may sacrifice flow-through, but you should end up with great backbone. I have found these knots to be a bit denser than Wiborg's offering, in my opinion. Personally, the knot size of the latter seem to be smaller than what is indicated which is a bit surprising to me as I have used two of their White Badgers and they weren't the size indicated. 
Good luck.

83 21,115
 07-27-2015, 04:56 AM
User Info
(07-26-2015, 04:41 PM)Attila Wrote:
(07-26-2015, 04:31 PM)AFG008 Wrote: I can't agree. I sold the Wilborg as I didn't think it had enough backbone although it was very soft. No where near the backbone of any of the Simpson Manchurian or M&F finest that I own

Well your opinion definitely carries weight...  Was it the Wiborg White Badger that you had?

I guess I would agree the M&F would have a tad more backbone.  But not too much more, from my own experience comparing my own brushes.

Sent from my mobile phone.  Please excuse any typos.

I had a 26 mm white badger in a fan knot. I probably should have gone with a bulb knot.

46 489
 07-27-2015, 07:35 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(07-27-2015, 04:56 AM)AFG008 Wrote:
(07-26-2015, 04:41 PM)Attila Wrote:

Well your opinion definitely carries weight...  Was it the Wiborg White Badger that you had?

I guess I would agree the M&F would have a tad more backbone.  But not too much more, from my own experience comparing my own brushes.

Sent from my mobile phone.  Please excuse any typos.

I had a 26 mm white badger in a fan knot. I probably should have gone with a bulb knot.

I could see a fan shape being more of an issue. Mine is in a pronounced bulb shape.

14 871
 07-27-2015, 08:20 AM
User Info
(07-26-2015, 08:48 PM)celestino Wrote:
(07-26-2015, 07:01 PM)e-dub Wrote: yes, i adore my manchurians and sabini finest knots. i'm ok with the softness of the white badger, but i wish it had more backbone. i'm hoping florian's finest would be a good compromise, but i may be wrong there? 
If you want that similar softness, but with more backbone, then you might want to consider ordering a cusotm Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band and ask Bernd to make it denser than usual. You may sacrifice flow-through, but you should end up with great backbone. I have found these knots to be a bit denser than Wiborg's offering, in my opinion. Personally, the knot size of the latter seem to be smaller than what is indicated which is a bit surprising to me as I have used two of their White Badgers and they weren't the size indicated. 
Good luck.

Celestino,
interesting that you say this. i recently tried a wiborg white badger labeled 28mm but it looked and felt like 26! didn't really measure it but no way that thing was 28mm.
anyone else experience the same thing?
not sure if i should order a 26mm since i really want a 24!

14 482
 07-27-2015, 08:50 AM
User Info
(07-27-2015, 08:20 AM)1SOAP Wrote: Celestino,
interesting that you say this. i recently tried a wiborg white badger labeled 28mm but it looked and felt like 26! didn't really measure it but no way that thing was 28mm.
anyone else experience the same thing?
not sure if i should order a 26mm since i really want a 24!
I just wanted to mention it as I had thought this was quite odd. I can only presume Florian might have a different perspective on where he measures the diameter of his knots to get his measurements. I had thought it was common knowledge they were all measured at the top opening of the brush handle unless I am mistaken.

83 21,115
 07-27-2015, 09:07 AM
  • pc4406
  • Vintage Shearer
  • San Francisco
User Info
I have two Wiborg brushes, with a third on the way. I asked for 24mm in each and received a 24mm Manchurian and a 25mm White Badger. Both are excellent brushes, but just take a while to receive.

74 307