07-26-2015, 07:09 PM
User Info
I am looking into Silvertips and decided to go to Art of Shaving today to look at theirs to get a feel of the hair. Unfortunately I wasn't impressed. Their Silvertip felt very prickly and was no different than their fine, or my Simpson best for that matter. What I want to know is if AoS Silvertips are representative of how other brands are going to feel. I continue to see reviews of pillow soft tips on Thaders, Shavemacs, Plisson, etc. Is there a big difference or should I expect the same feel as the AoS Silvertip?

13 947
 07-26-2015, 07:12 PM
  • e-dub
  • right brain: bna. left brain: dtw.
User Info
in my experience i've precisely zero prickle from the thater 2 band brush i had, the shavemac 2 band silvertip knot i currently have and the various simpson supers i've had and have.

41 666
 07-26-2015, 07:14 PM
User Info
(07-26-2015, 07:09 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: I am looking into Silvertips and decided to go to Art of Shaving today to look at theirs to get a feel of the hair. Unfortunately I wasn't impressed. Their Silvertip felt very prickly and was no different than their fine, or my Simpson best for that matter. What I want to know is if AoS Silvertips are representative of how other brands are going to feel. I continue to see reviews of pillow soft tips on Thaders, Shavemacs, Plisson, etc. Is there a big difference or should I expect the same feel as the AoS Silvertip?

Did you wet the AOS brushes? A wet brush is night and day compared to dry.

I have a chubby 2 Manchurian that's prickly when dry, soft as can be when wet, same with a thater 4125/2 2 band.

Also what do you like in a brush? Density, backbone, flowthrough, pillow soft? What's your desired price range?

28 777
 07-26-2015, 07:24 PM
User Info
(07-26-2015, 07:14 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote:
(07-26-2015, 07:09 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: I am looking into Silvertips and decided to go to Art of Shaving today to look at theirs to get a feel of the hair. Unfortunately I wasn't impressed. Their Silvertip felt very prickly and was no different than their fine, or my Simpson best for that matter. What I want to know is if AoS Silvertips are representative of how other brands are going to feel. I continue to see reviews of pillow soft tips on Thaders, Shavemacs, Plisson, etc. Is there a big difference or should I expect the same feel as the AoS Silvertip?

Did you wet the AOS brushes? A wet brush is night and day compared to dry.

I have a chubby 2 Manchurian that's prickly when dry, soft as can be when wet, same with a thater 4125/2 2 band.

Also what do you like in a brush? Density, backbone, flowthrough, pillow soft? What's your desired price range?

I did actually feel their wet brush that they use for test lathers, and it had about 3 to 4 months of daily use. It was noticeably softer too. That's a good point. 

I face lather every shave, use a combination of soft and hard soaps and the occasional cream, and prefer some backbone but not a lot, however I do not want floppiness for sure, and I definitely want good followthrough and as pillow soft as they make. My price range would be $150 to $200, but I like the price on Thaters at Shaving.ie. They have 28mm with 58mm loft for $129.

13 947
 07-26-2015, 07:29 PM
User Info
(07-26-2015, 07:24 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: I did actually feel their wet brush that they use for test lathers, and it had about 3 to 4 months of daily use. It was noticeably softer too. That's a good point. 

I face lather every shave, use a combination of soft and hard soaps and the occasional cream, and prefer some backbone but not a lot, however I do not want floppiness for sure, and I definitely want good followthrough and as pillow soft as they make. My price range would be $150 to $200, but I like the price on Thaters at Shaving.ie. They have 28mm with 58mm loft for $129.

I would strongly urge you to look at the 2 band offerings for both shavemac and thater. My thater 2 band is phenomenal, pillow soft tips some may say gel-like, with backbone.

28 777
 07-26-2015, 07:36 PM
User Info
(07-26-2015, 07:29 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote:
(07-26-2015, 07:24 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: I did actually feel their wet brush that they use for test lathers, and it had about 3 to 4 months of daily use. It was noticeably softer too. That's a good point. 

I would strongly urge you to look at the 2 band offerings for both shavemac and thater. My thater 2 band is phenomenal, pillow soft tips some may say gel-like, with backbone.

I just realized that was a 3 band. The two band is a little more expensive but it sounds like that is the way to go. Thanks for the help.

13 947
 07-26-2015, 08:43 PM
User Info
(07-26-2015, 07:29 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote: I would strongly urge you to look at the 2 band offerings for both shavemac and thater. My thater 2 band is phenomenal, pillow soft tips some may say gel-like, with backbone.

Signs011  You won't find many softer knots/brushes than these and they are readily available. Good luck.

83 21,115
 07-26-2015, 08:51 PM
User Info
(07-26-2015, 08:43 PM)celestino Wrote:
(07-26-2015, 07:29 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote: I would strongly urge you to look at the 2 band offerings for both shavemac and thater. My thater 2 band is phenomenal, pillow soft tips some may say gel-like, with backbone.

Signs011  You won't find many softer knots/brushes than these and they are readily available. Good luck.

Thanks celestino!

13 947
 07-27-2015, 05:07 AM
User Info
Silvertip brushes, and I have a Simpson CH2 2 Band, are slightly "crunchy" when dry, but when wet are among the softest you will encounter. Manchurian hair has a similar feel.

39 3,953
 07-27-2015, 06:06 AM
User Info
Thater 3 band, Kent Silvertip, Shavemac 3 band and Savile Row are about the softest I have ever used and none will break the bank.

Given you budget, I'd go Custom Shavemac 3824 handle in a nice rod with a lower loft bulb and add a few pucks of Haslinger at the same time.

8 2,718
 07-27-2015, 01:36 PM
User Info
AOS brushes are overpriced.  I suggest a Thater or Shavemac.

51 6,435
 07-27-2015, 02:03 PM
User Info
(07-27-2015, 06:06 AM)Bruce Wrote: Thater 3 band, Kent Silvertip, Shavemac 3 band and Savile Row are about the softest I have ever used and none will break the bank.

Given you budget, I'd go Custom Shavemac 3824 handle in a nice rod with a lower loft bulb and add a few pucks of Haslinger at the same time.

Most people have said 2 band Thater and Shavemac are the way to go. Is there much difference on these brands between 2 band and 3 band in your experience? I am leaning toward 2 band.

13 947
 07-27-2015, 02:05 PM
User Info
(07-27-2015, 01:36 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: AOS brushes are overpriced.  I suggest a Thater or Shavemac.

I would never buy a AoS brush, but I do own a mini badger from their sample set I bought for my wife to try on her legs. I just went there because it is the only store I know of that has brushes to look at.

13 947
 07-27-2015, 02:14 PM
User Info
(07-27-2015, 02:03 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(07-27-2015, 06:06 AM)Bruce Wrote: Thater 3 band, Kent Silvertip, Shavemac 3 band and Savile Row are about the softest I have ever used and none will break the bank.

Most people have said 2 band Thater and Shavemac are the way to go. Is there much difference on these brands between 2 band and 3 band in your experience? I am leaning toward 2 band.
I haven't tried 2 band (avoid D01 2 band if you want soft) in either of those brands yet, but you probably can't go wrong with either.

Based on what I've heard, the Shavemac will likely have more backbone.

8 2,718
 07-27-2015, 03:39 PM
User Info

If you have a particularly good example of a Simpson best it can be quite close to silvertip. The softest 3 band brushes I've encountered were Omega and Kent but they were both too floppy for my taste. The Shavemacs I've tried are quite good but I've only owned the D01 knots. I mostly use my M&F and Dark Holler Paladin 2 band brushes these days. I like two band because you get good backbone with a less density and yet still quite soft.

Also out of curiosity was the AOS brush wet and lathered up when you were checking it out?

15 771
 07-27-2015, 04:02 PM
User Info
Brad Sears is selling a beautiful Beehive 29mm 2 bnd finest in the Swap and Shop section in the artisan corner. I bought one. It is the best badger brush i have ever owned and it is plenty of brush for anyone. The price is amazing too at 105.00 USD. He presents it amazingly and gives you a soap sample and a certificate of authenticity. i highly recommend it.

0 517
 07-27-2015, 04:04 PM
User Info
(07-27-2015, 02:03 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: Most people have said 2 band Thater and Shavemac are the way to go. Is there much difference on these brands between 2 band and 3 band in your experience? I am leaning toward 2 band.
This is all dependent on knot size and loft and, of course, subjectivity. Note that Thater does not allow for any customization (as far as I know), whereas Shavemac will accommodate your requirements. 

Thater:  3-Band = extremely soft, but with the least backbone.
               2-Band = extremely soft with the lightest scrub and moderate backbone.

Shavemac:  3-Band D-01 = is very dense, soft tips with good scrub and strong backbone
                  3-Band Silvertip = moderate density and scrub with soft tips; less expensive than the above
                  3-Band Finest = moderate density, not as soft as the two above, but soft, less expensive than the two above (some say this might be the best bargain)
                  2-Band Silvertip =  strong backbone with extremely soft tips and very dense; might be too soft if you like some scrub;  (my favourite)
                  2-Band D-01 = possibly the strongest backbone of all badgers, very dense, scrub can vary from scritchy (unpleasant) to light scritch; some say it softens up after 
                  prolonged use, but not for me, unless it is some older hair/knots. 

You can get a description of their different hair types at    Shavemac/badger_qualities.html   if you google it.

83 21,115
 07-28-2015, 08:25 AM
User Info
Many high quality badger brushes will have hair that curls slightly at the tip and feels a bit scratchy when dry, but extremely soft when wet.

Thater and Shavemac are IMO two of the best quality brushes out there, and great values too (considering the quality).

You said you want pillow soft...you should go with a 3-band silvertip brush.  

As a face latherer, you probably don't want something too big.  For bulb shapes, Savile Row 3124 or 3824, Shavemac #177 or #25 in 23mm silvertip, Thater 4125/1 or 49125/1, and Thater 4292/4 are good middle-of-the-round brushes with soft tips, good backbone, excellent flow, just slightly different handles.

Another option would be a custom brush from Shavemac.  A 3-band silvertip with a 23mm knot and 46mm loft or a 24mm knot with 48mm loft would be a good choice.

5 229
 07-29-2015, 04:25 AM
User Info
A LOT of good insight here.

Once you've had a chance to look over, take it in, and decide on a brush, my advice would be to try to buy it (or something fairly close to it) USED.

Brushes and brush preferences are VERY subjective.  One person's definition of 'very little scritchiness' can easily be another person's definition of 'too much scritchiness.' The same goes for backbone, density, etc.

The other day I saw a post on another forum where a new member asked "Which brush for face lathering?" After dozens of people responded with opinion that ranged all across the board, a very experienced member replied with a response that answered the question perfectly:

"There is no such thing as a "face lathering" brush or a "bowl lathering" brush or a "soap" brush or a "cream brush" [or, in this case, a "representative silvertip"], only "personal preference" brushes."

After you've tried a few used over time, and have a good idea of what brands, no. of bands, knot sizes, etc. best fit your own personal taste, re-sell the used brushes and put the money toward a new high end silvertip you know you'll like.

Enjoy the journey!

3 147
 07-29-2015, 10:22 AM
User Info
(07-27-2015, 02:03 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:

I have the 49125/3 and 4125/2 Thater, not the same size knot, but the difference for me is the backbone only. Both feel super soft on the face, but the 4125 has more backbone and I like it better. I am going to grab a 4125/4 (30mm) soon.

11 435