07-27-2015, 01:09 PM
User Info
Maybe it's a touch of ennui. Even though I'm getting solid results on a daily basis, I'm still thinking I can do better, and I'm wondering which direction to go.

My two daily drivers are an EJ DE89 (in which I typically use a shim) and a Braveheart head.
I have a fairly light beard; my skin is not sensitive.

I find myself still typically doing three passes plus touch-up (blade buffing) to get the results I want.
I'd like to cut that down.

I typically swap blades after about 10 uses. Maybe it should be fewer.

Perhaps a different razor might do the trick -- open comb?
I have a Slim adjustable; I could try a higher setting. Normally I use 6 when I use it.

Note that I tried the Mongoose for several days on a tour, and I found that even it didn't really bring down the number of passes.

Your thoughts, please? Thanks in advance.

8 897
 07-27-2015, 01:21 PM
User Info
10 times on a blade is a lot. What blade are you using? I'd be surprised if your shaves didn't improve by changing blades at 4-5 shaves. Try a Feather or Polsilver blade if you aren't already doing so.. Maybe consider a more aggressive razor like an iKon or ATT if they are within your budget. 3 pass shaves though are not uncommon. I do 4 most days.

44 486
 07-27-2015, 01:24 PM
User Info
If changing the blade more often does not work then maybe look at a more aggressive razor. Get yourself an adjustable and try that out. Find the aggressiveness you want with a blade you enjoy and shave away!

147 3,464
 07-27-2015, 01:36 PM
User Info
You can try to sell your self short and buy a quick fix, ie more aggressive razor. Or you build your technique. The people telling you to buy something probably did the same, I know I did. But now, I can get every bit as good a shave with a uselessly mild razor such as a Feather Popular or GEM Push Button as a hyper-aggressive razor such as the Ever Ready 1924. In one pass ATG (if I shaved the day before. if not, two passes) + touch up.It just takes technique. I don't bother with the aggressive razors anymore because I can get the same results with the mild-ies with less hassle. 

Blade choice doesn't make a difference in how close the shave is. At least for me. You say you have a a light beard so even a "dull" Dorco blade is still plenty sharp.

PS. Stretching the skin helps more than a different razor ever could.

18 713
 07-27-2015, 02:22 PM
User Info
(07-27-2015, 01:09 PM)Rory1262 Wrote: I typically swap blades after about 10 uses. Maybe it should be fewer.

I have a Slim adjustable; I could try a higher setting. Normally I use 6 when I use it.

Note that I tried the Mongoose for several days on a tour, and I found that even it didn't really bring down the number of passes.

10 uses on one blade! Wow! I use mine for 4 shaves and toss it. At a cost of about 10 cents per blade for Astra SPs I'd rather know I have a sharp blade.

13 947
 07-27-2015, 08:42 PM
User Info
If you are getting good results on a daily basis, why do you want to change this? There really isn't any need to get a BBS shave as long as you are presentable and happy with your results. 
If you are looking to improve things, just keep practicing your technique with your three shavers for a few more months to see what happens and if the Slim on 9 doesn't provide you with what you are looking for, then you could always try shimming your other two razors. 
Good luck.  Smile

82 21,056
 07-27-2015, 09:09 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I haven't encountered this saying from a poster on another shaving site "It's your face, not a race". Another classic is " there is never enough time to do things right; but always time to do it over". It was the 'tedium' of shaving that led a generation of men, already half emasculated by slobwear or the reverse tyranny of fads like 'manpurses' and 'manscaping' to abandon wetshaving for all that crap out there. Take a deep breath, refocus, change your blades more often and shave.

2 3,171
 07-27-2015, 09:32 PM
User Info
(07-27-2015, 01:09 PM)Rory1262 Wrote: Maybe it's a touch of ennui. Even though I'm getting solid results on a daily basis, I'm still thinking I can do better, and I'm wondering which direction to go.

My two daily drivers are an EJ DE89 (in which I typically use a shim) and a Braveheart head.
I have a fairly light beard; my skin is not sensitive.

I find myself still typically doing three passes plus touch-up (blade buffing) to get the results I want.
I'd like to cut that down.

I typically swap blades after about 10 uses. Maybe it should be fewer.

This is typical for most shavers. I can get a nice dfs, very close to bbs in 2 passes with cleanup with an ikon open comb or the standard.

Also I've read the mongoose takes quite a bit of trial and error with angle, blades, and technique. I've seen some ppl go right to ATG with these after a few months practice.

What blades are you using BTW? Cut back to 3-4 shaves on these as well

26 763
 07-28-2015, 01:22 AM
User Info
Thanks, folks. Next stop is my Slim on a higher setting with a fresh blade.

As for blade usage, I tend not to notice that great a dropoff after the first use or several uses.
The 10 mark has been where I see extra effort required.
Polsilvers are my favorite; their longevity also explains why I get so many uses.

And as a couple of you implied...yes, a good part of this is OCD.
Many could and would be well content with the results I have after two passes, but the little remaining rough spots are irksome.

8 897
 07-28-2015, 01:29 AM
User Info
Wow, ten is alot, i change mine after 3. I love my Braveheart and find it quite efficient
Think you need to try other blades, of course YMMV

2 47
 07-28-2015, 03:00 AM
User Info
(07-28-2015, 01:22 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: Thanks, folks. Next stop is my Slim on a higher setting with a fresh blade.

As for blade usage, I tend not to notice that great a dropoff after the first use or several uses.
The 10 mark has been where I see extra effort required.
Polsilvers are my favorite; their longevity also explains why I get so many uses.

And as a couple of you implied...yes, a good part of this is OCD.
Many could and would be well content with the results I have after two passes, but the little remaining rough spots are irksome.

Do what works for you. The only thing I advise is not to chase a number - if tomorrow's blade feels tuggy or dull at 8 shaves, just toss it. Blades are cheap, yes, but also it's the "dull knife" theory. A sharp blade is much safer than a dull one.

15 1,021
 07-29-2015, 03:15 PM
User Info
I too have light growth but struggle to get to those last "rough bits."  I tend to shave daily and just pick at the tougher parts.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it causes irritation, so I tend to be cautious.  I also toss most blades after 3 or 4 shaves.  Rarely past 5 or 6.  I also never keep a blade once it even seems tuggy.  Those who advise keeping a 15 cent blade past that point and telling me to try and adjust my technique for the blade are speaking to the wrong person.  I'd rather end up tossing a good blade two out of three times than pushing through with a problematic one even a third of the time.

Also I like using the Slim on a higher setting first, then dialing down to buff out the hard bits.  Good luck and let us know what works.

7 84
 07-31-2015, 09:22 AM
User Info
So...I had the answer in my grasp all along. I obtained my Slim Adjustable last fall, but for whatever reason (tentativeness?) I never opened it out to 9.

I did so today, loading in a fresh Spoiler blade -- I recently received a package in a PIF.

Wow. The slogan "Gillette -- the best a man can get" really rang true today.
I achieved in two passes (WTG, XTG) what normally takes three. Only the last usual rough bits were left for ATG touch-up.

If I'd been smart, I'd have dialed it down for that -- it left my neck a bit pink.

Other elements of the SOTD:
LEA stick (I wanted something cushiony)
Plisson pour L'Occitane brush (the forgotten member of the stable lately)
Shea Moisture Tea Tree aftershave
L'Occitane Cade balm

8 897
 07-31-2015, 10:09 AM
User Info
Congratulations, Rory!  Smile

82 21,056
 08-01-2015, 04:33 PM
User Info
I'm surprised that so many people are barking up the "too many shaves from one blade" tree. 

I used to believe that stuff, too, but it just isn't true.  I have a tough beard and used to throw blades out after three shaves.  Then, once, I tried four.  Went fine, so I went with four shaves apiece for a long time.  

On a whim, I tried 5.  Amazingly, no problem.  So I started shaving 5 times with each blade.  No discernible drop-off in performance. 

Then, I found a thread on another forum about how most people can get many more comfortable, irritation-free shaves out of most blades.  So, on a whim, I decided to try to continue to use the next blade until it gave me a bad shave.  I got 13!  

Now, I routinely get at least 10 shaves from a Polsilver SI.  

People attribute tugging/irritation to the blade even when it's really from something else; bad lather, wrong pressure, wrong angle, or whatever.  It's not at all hard to get a week's worth of good shaves out of any modern blade that's worth using.  The Polsilver will easily go to double digits, even in people with tough, wiry beards.  

If the OP really has a fine beard, he could probably get 15 or 20 good shaves out of a Polsilver.  

So, yeah, I guess I'm saying that "too many shaves on each blade" is HIGHLY UNLIKELY to be the underlying problem.  

JMO.  YMMV.

2 1,397
 08-01-2015, 04:40 PM
User Info
Edwin jagger really never worked for me.  I started out with one, always thought I could do better, just like you thought.
I am thinking this will have to do more with a razor than a blade.
Blades do play a role, but razor plays a more crucial role IMHO.

With EJ89, any blade I used gave me mediocre shaves, but with feather I got a decent shave, but with some irritation due to it harshness.
With other razors, all the blades that used to give me bad/mediocre shaves give me pretty good shaves now with better/upgraded razors.

Try above the tie R1 if it's within your budget.

EDIT /  addendum : I am glad you got great results with adjutable on 9.

53 760
 08-03-2015, 01:16 PM
User Info
I used to think that a razor had to be wide open to work for me.  Then I made a mistake and dropped my brush in the sink during a shave.  The resulting lather was a little looser than normal and I had a fantastic shave.  Since that accident, I use more water for a slicker lather.  My shaves have been much better since.

Even if your shaves have improved, it is worth a shot.

18 586