07-28-2015, 12:33 AM
User Info
Does any one have an opinion of the Satin Tip  Black Synthetic? Being new to wet shaving i have used 2 types of brushes: Bath and Body synthetic and the Escali pure boar brush. I must say I loved the synthetic over the boar. I thought the synthetic was easy to load, I love the softness and the backbone of the brush. With the boar brush i love the scrub of the brush on my face. However I hate how long it takes to load and there isn't any backbone to it.

0 29
 07-28-2015, 04:30 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the synth brush you mentioned. It's surprising to hear that a boar bristle brush has unsatisfactory backbone. Even my big floppy SOC boar has some... On the other hand, my experience with an Escali badger brush was pretty miserable, too. It was my first brush when taking up traditional DE shaving. Within 2 weeks it developed a nasty donut hole. It's now in a landfill somewhere.

Edit: Welcome to the forum Smile

7 2,151
 07-28-2015, 05:13 AM
User Info
I prefer boar brushes, but the Satin Tip is decent for a synthetic.  I prefer it to the Plisson and The Grooming Company synthetics, both of which I sold and now the Satin Tip is the only synthetic brush I own.  I don't use it, just keep it for traveling and such.  It is not as soft or floppy as the Plisson, has slightly more "backbone" but isn't overly springy like The Grooming company brush.   

For the money I think you would be much better off going with a Semogue 620 or 610 since you are a face latherer, or for $10 it's really hard to beat the Omega 10066.  In the last picture below you can see how the Satin Tip compares in size to some other popular brushes; Semogue 610, Plisson, Satin Tip, Omega 10066, Semogue 620 (left to right).

[Image: 20150609_173753_zpsgunufpis.jpg]

[Image: 20150609_173907_zpsnxouwapn.jpg]

[Image: 2015-06-09%2017.20.48_zpsvw9cgcmr.jpg]

10 407
 07-28-2015, 05:13 AM
User Info
The Purest is a great brush. Had one for a few and had no issues. I just prefer a nice badger. The Purest was feather soft, had nice back bone and flow through, and a comfortable non slick handle. If you like synthetics then you should enjoy it. 

I'm also surprised at a boar with no back bone. Try you a good Omega or Semouge boar sometime. Great performers!

147 3,539
 07-28-2015, 12:13 PM
User Info
thanks for the pictures they highlight the differences in brushes very well. I will have to look into the plisson and the omega.

The Escali has served me well for the last few years. maybe it a little old but i don't ever remember it having a good backbone. For right now since i will be purchasing my first safety razor and being familiar with synthetic, I want to reach for a synthetic until i become more familiar with using a safety razor. I will keep in mind to buy a boar brush and try again it will definitely get a better quality brush tho.

0 29
 07-28-2015, 12:32 PM
User Info
I considered it but I heard of the rubberized matte finish and thought that wouldn't be a good idea for durability. I had a flash drive that was like that and a cell phone (2006 flip phone) that both eventually had their finish just flake off exposing the hard ugly plastic underneath.

18 713
 07-28-2015, 12:44 PM
User Info
(07-28-2015, 12:13 PM)spiritsilvers2 Wrote: thanks for the pictures they highlight the differences in brushes very well. I will have to look into the plisson and the omega.

The Escali has served me well for the last few years. maybe it a little old but i don't ever remember it having a good backbone. For right now since i will be purchasing my first safety razor and being familiar with synthetic, I want to reach for a synthetic until i become more familiar with using a safety razor. I will keep in mind to buy a boar brush and try again it will definitely get a better quality brush tho.

I think the Escali is a badger isn't it? Similar to the Tweezerman badger?  When I started wet shaving I first got the Tweezerman which was absolutely horrible, the hairs knotted up and it had no support to it at all. Then I went to a Plisson which I liked, it was soft and did ok face lathering.  I tried a TGC synthetic because it supposedly has more backbone, but it was annoying to face lather with because it is very springy.  Someone suggested I give an Omega 10066 a try since they can be found for about $7 if you google it. I honestly haven't had a desire to use anything other than boar brushes since then. A couple weeks after the 10066 I ordered the Semogue 610 and 620 and haven't used anything else since. I got the Satin Tip because it looks cool and it was a cheaper alternative to the Plisson for when I travel, which is rare.  I've thought about replacing it with an Omega S-brush.

10 407
 07-28-2015, 01:51 PM
User Info
Never having used it I can only comment on my personal sticking point on other syn' brushes as compared to the black brush pictured.

I've long thought that synthetic brush manufacturers have missed the boat by trying to make their brushes look like badger. It invites a comparison that no synthetic can ever win simply because none are badger. Synthetics have their own characteristics.

The black knot color is a stroke of genius IMO. Hopefully the rest of the brush is as well thought out.

Please let us know.

32 6,459
 07-28-2015, 08:12 PM
User Info
(07-28-2015, 01:51 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Never having used it I can only comment on my personal sticking point on other syn' brushes as compared to the black brush pictured.

I've long thought that synthetic brush manufacturers have missed the boat by trying to make their brushes look like badger. It invites a comparison that no synthetic can ever win simply because none are badger. Synthetics have their own characteristics.

The black knot color is a stroke of genius IMO. Hopefully the rest of the brush is as well thought out.

Please let us know.

FWIW, I have this brush and it's more "badger-like" than the Plisson Synth, in that it is denser, has more backbone, and retains lather more.  On the other hand, it is almost as efficient as the Plisson in generating lather, and dries almost as quickly.  I need to use it some more, but so far I think it's a good brush and a great deal for the price.

11 973
 07-28-2015, 10:45 PM
User Info
Ive used boars, badgers and synthetics. Nothing more than $60. In that price range I have found I prefer the Plisson over all others. I am a face latherer that primarily uses creams and croaps, but I have no issue loading hard soaps with the plisson.

4 63
 07-31-2015, 06:17 PM
User Info
I need to apologize for my original post. I brought out a shave soap I haven't used in a while to test it again, because I have been trying to improve my lather. And found that my boar brush did have good backbone with the soap. But poor with a shave cream.

0 29
 07-31-2015, 06:21 PM
User Info
(07-31-2015, 06:17 PM)spiritsilvers2 Wrote: I need to apologize for my original post. I brought out a shave soap I haven't used in a while to test it again, because I have been trying to improve my lather. And found that my boar brush did have good backbone with the soap. But poor with a shave cream.  

The secret to obtaining a good lather is to use more product and gradually add more water until the lather consistency suits your palate. 

0 123