07-28-2015, 05:17 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
.........just saw this video........ the Razor Pit - Razor Blade Sharpener...........
........we can all toss our traditional razors...............and go back cartridge razors..........

46 1,070
 07-28-2015, 05:19 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
The foam is the Proraso Green?

49 2,017
 07-28-2015, 05:36 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
...........looks like it............

46 1,070
 07-28-2015, 08:23 AM
User Info
Did you look at the video in full screen after a pass with 5 blades that have been "sharpened"?

[Image: Blades.JPG]

4 475
 07-28-2015, 08:40 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
The ingrown hairs alone associated with multi blade shaving will keep me suffering with my Traditional Razors.
Biggrin

61 4,626
 07-28-2015, 09:26 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
...........ha! ...........same here..........no going back to the multi-blade ingrown hair inducers.............

46 1,070
 07-28-2015, 11:10 AM
User Info
Do all iphones have this feature?! I had no idea what I was missing by not having one and I feel kind of silly not being able to do this with my land-line phone.   Biggrin

83 21,111
 07-28-2015, 11:39 AM
User Info
(07-28-2015, 11:10 AM)celestino Wrote: Do all iphones have this feature?! I had no idea what I was missing by not having one and I feel kind of silling not being able to do this with my land-line phone.   Biggrin

hahahahhahahhhahahha

Biggrin

31 739
 07-28-2015, 11:54 AM
User Info
I have never had any irritation or ingrown hairs since I learnt the craft, and used the correct equipment. If you read any thread on any forum of someone re visiting carts, they all state they now receive great results. As for costs or using a device to extend longevity? Why bother? NOS carts can be had relatively quite cheaply, hey I have over 1400!

[Image: qw1iuUI.jpg]

0 280
 07-28-2015, 01:42 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Burt, You have an amazing collection of Carts!

61 4,626
 07-28-2015, 01:46 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-28-2015, 08:40 AM)eengler Wrote: The ingrown hairs alone associated with multi blade shaving will keep me suffering with my Traditional Razors.
Biggrin

Lengthy preface:  I have a good friend — he is a medical doctor, and he was the Chief Health Officer of a major metropolitan government before he was named the CEO of  probably the largest HMO in the nation where he served for a couple of decades — he and I were having a discussion one day about drinking coffee to keep awake.  I told him that coffee, short term, has a perverse effect on  my metabolism:  the warm liquid tends more to make me sleepy than the caffeine in the liquid keeps me awake and stimulated; but mid-term — say four or five hours after drinking coffee — I am wide awake, eyelids slammed open.  My friend told me that the human body has absolutely no mechanism for storing caffeine to release it later, and that I must be imagining the effects.  He is a brilliant doctor, and he knows his medicine, but I know what effect drinking coffee has on me.

Cartridge razors draw a sharp blade across the skin of one’s face just as a DE razor draws a sharp blade across the skin of one’s face; many cartridge razors draw several blades across the face in quick succession, but the action of each blade is the same as the action of the single blade in the DE razor.  Advocates of DE razors are wont to say that they get a “closer” shave with a DE than with a cartridge, and — if by “closer” they mean that the individual whiskers are cut closer to the skin surface than they are cut with a cartridge razor (what else could it mean?) — then logically a DE razor should be more prone to cause ingrown hairs than a cartridge razor should.  

For the first ten years that I shaved, I used an electric razor, and I was plagued with ingrown hairs on my neck.  After I switched over to wet shaving (originally with an injector razor, but switching to cartridge razors when they became available circa 1970), ingrown hairs on my neck became a problem of the past; I have not had one since 1970, and I was shaving exclusively with cartridge razors for the great majority of the time since 1970.  

Now you — and only you — are the master of your own experiences, and in no way am I questioning your reporting of those experiences.  But I listen to any allegation that cartridge razors are more prone to cause ingrown hairs than DE razors are with the same level of skepticism that my doctor friend had as he listened to my description of how caffeine affects me.

1 1,110
 07-28-2015, 02:38 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(07-28-2015, 01:46 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(07-28-2015, 08:40 AM)eengler Wrote: The ingrown hairs alone associated with multi blade shaving will keep me suffering with my Traditional Razors.
Biggrin

Lengthy preface:  I have a good friend — he is a medical doctor, and he was the Chief Health Officer of a major metropolitan government before he was named the CEO of  probably the largest HMO in the nation where he served for a couple of decades — he and I were having a discussion one day about drinking coffee to keep awake.  I told him that coffee, short term, has a perverse effect on  my metabolism:  the warm liquid tends more to make me sleepy than the caffeine in the liquid keeps me awake and stimulated; but mid-term — say four or five hours after drinking coffee — I am wide awake, eyelids slammed open.  My friend told me that the human body has absolutely no mechanism for storing caffeine to release it later, and that I must be imagining the effects.  He is a brilliant doctor, and he knows his medicine, but I know what effect drinking coffee has on me.

Cartridge razors draw a sharp blade across the skin of one’s face just as a DE razor draws a sharp blade across the skin of one’s face; many cartridge razors draw several blades across the face in quick succession, but the action of each blade is the same as the action of the single blade in the DE razor.  Advocates of DE razors are wont to say that they get a “closer” shave with a DE than with a cartridge, and — if by “closer” they mean that the individual whiskers are cut closer to the skin surface than they are cut with a cartridge razor (what else could it mean?) — then logically a DE razor should be more prone to cause ingrown hairs than a cartridge razor should.  

For the first ten years that I shaved, I used an electric razor, and I was plagued with ingrown hairs on my neck.  After I switched over to wet shaving (originally with an injector razor, but switching to cartridge razors when they became available circa 1970), ingrown hairs on my neck became a problem of the past; I have not had one since 1970, and I was shaving exclusively with cartridge razors for the great majority of the time since 1970.  

Now you — and only you — are the master of your own experiences, and in no way am I questioning your reporting of those experiences.  But I listen to any allegation that cartridge razors are more prone to cause ingrown hairs than DE razors are with the same level of skepticism that my doctor friend had as he listened to my description of how caffeine affects me.
I feel the elimination of the ingrown hairs with DE/SE shaving is associated with less pressure on the blade. I can get acceptable shaves from both and really don't fuss too much over getting perfectly smooth. I recently tried the MR3 cart for a week and was reminded of the difference in technique. I will admit that no ingrown hairs were present after the week of shaving with the MR3 but realized I favor the ritual of the single blades. I cant help but suspect the cartridge combined with the extra pressure was the issue for me.

61 4,626
 07-28-2015, 03:30 PM
User Info
I bought a razor sharpener from Walgreen's back when I used carts. I could use one cart for about 6 months or so and I can say they do work as long as you don't let the blade get too far gone.

For me I wouldn't go back to carts of DEs and carts switched prices.

3 1,356
 07-28-2015, 06:18 PM
User Info
Biggrin

I also got ingrown from DE razors

24 6,018
 07-28-2015, 06:23 PM
User Info
(07-28-2015, 01:46 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
Biggrin

You're a wise man indeed.
I got more ingrown hairs from my DE razors, especially the aggressive ones, than I get from my Fusion now.
I use ZERO pressure with my Fusion now and have what I think is sound technique.
I also own (since 2012) the Danish invented Razor Pitt sharpener, which also works magically on de blades by the way.
I get 25-30 shaves on one Fusion cart now.

24 6,018
 07-28-2015, 08:37 PM
  • RobinK
  • I like things that work.
  • Munich, Germany
User Info
I get ingrown hairs from every razor, but to varying degrees. Electric razors are guaranteed to cause them every other shave. Cartridge razors cause them once a week, with the added benefit of free razor burn in the neck area. DE razors maybe once a month. SE razors only if I apply pressure to get a super close shave, and only on the jaw line. Cut-throat razors once in a blue moon, but still...

That said, Avène has a product called Dermo-K which is insanely expensive (€15 for a minuscule tube), but lasts forever, and cures ingrown hairs within hours (ie fight the infection, soothe the skin, and soften it to allow the hair to eventually grow out). Works for me in 90% of all cases. Nice stuff.

0 197
 07-28-2015, 11:54 PM
User Info
(07-28-2015, 08:37 PM)RobinK Wrote: I get ingrown hairs from every razor, but to varying degrees. Electric razors are guaranteed to cause them every other shave. Cartridge razors cause them once a week, with the added benefit of free razor burn in the neck area. DE razors maybe once a month. SE razors only if I apply pressure to get a super close shave, and only on the jaw line. Cut-throat razors once in a blue moon, but still...

That said, Avène has a product called Dermo-K which is insanely expensive (€15 for a minuscule tube), but lasts forever, and cures ingrown hairs within hours (ie fight the infection, soothe the skin, and soften it to allow the hair to eventually grow out). Works for me in 90% of all cases. Nice stuff.

I agree Robin,

I now only have one beef with Fusion carts really, they do give me a slight razor burn on my neck area.

I have found two solutions to that:

1. I now use my Mongoose SE for the first two passes and touch up with one of my Fusions (Plisson, Edwin Jagger or Mühle)

2. If I only have time for a one pass shave with touch up I use the Fusion only, and make sure to use Proraso pre shave cream on my neck area prior to the shave. That minimizes the razor burn to zero.

24 6,018
 07-29-2015, 07:42 AM
User Info
I use a shaving oil, and usually French Shea Butter soaps. I assume this has made a difference. I also just go with the grain on my neck, I have discovered that a BBS can not be had on the neck.

0 280
 07-29-2015, 08:06 AM
User Info
Yes, Traditional shaving razors are all going to die.
Please send all those lovely (oops, I mean horrid) vintage and new safety razors and send them to my home, for proper disposal. Biggrin

2 5,548
 07-29-2015, 11:00 AM
User Info
I shaved only with cartridges for over 20 years until switching to straights last fall. I could use a cartridge until it fell apart(we're talking months of daily shaving) without ever getting razor burn or ingrown hairs. I cant attest to the quality of the shave as I never spent as much time judging my shaves as I have since last September, but it always worked.

My first EVER ingrown hair came when I switched to DE back in May. So far it has been only 1, but it was a difference.

Perhaps we should just stock up an an endless supply of cheap vintage NOS carts in the crazy case that DE's fall off the market before any of us die.....yeah right.

39 275