07-28-2015, 05:34 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
...........i've always heard that drying the razor blade makes it last longer.........

..........is this true?     ..........and if it is, why would drying the razor blade make it last longer?  

............. i don't see how water can affect the sharpness of a stainless steel blade...

46 1,070
 07-28-2015, 05:42 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I dry mine with a blast of air. In my mind I see the water drying on the keen edge leaving behind a crusty cake of minerals.

61 4,628
 07-28-2015, 05:58 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I never dry mine other than shaking my razor after a rinse.

I would think the likelihood of inadvertently "drying" the edge and physically dulling the blade greater than not regardless of how careful.

To each his or her own and another example of YMMV!

2 1,180
 07-28-2015, 06:02 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Agree with Kevin. Wiping seems too risky to prolong the life of a blade.

61 4,628
 07-28-2015, 06:08 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(07-28-2015, 06:02 AM)eengler Wrote: Agree with Kevin. Wiping seems too risky to prolong the life of a blade.

Yup.

102 18,669
 07-28-2015, 06:25 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
The only blade I wipe down and let air dry are my straight razors. For DE I just shake the water off when finished.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-28-2015, 08:34 AM
User Info
(07-28-2015, 05:34 AM)leonidas Wrote: ...........i've always heard that drying the razor blade makes it last longer.........

..........is this true?     ..........and if it is, why would drying the razor blade make it last longer?  

............. i don't see how water can affect the sharpness of a stainless steel blade...

Drying, drying by stropping after use or getting rid of the water  with alcohol (which then evaporates) have been  recommended  a few times.
It did remember me of this, at 1:40

I am just through the manuscipt translated 2011 by JimR, by Mr. Iwazaki on honing and maintaining a razor, written in 1963. He would agree it is important to avoid corrosion. How much that plays for you with DE blades is another discussion...

Philipp

21 1,175
 07-28-2015, 08:59 AM
User Info
I've read that stainless still corrodes, just not as much as carbon steel. I have had stainless items develop minor rust as well, so I give my razor a good shake or three after rinsing.

0 1,098
 07-28-2015, 09:18 AM
User Info
Stainless is not rustproof - despite claims to the contrary. That said, drying or otherwise getting rid of every speck of water makes more sense if you're using carbon blades - or for when you're putting the razor away for an extended period of time. In the later case I suggest just dumping the blade, since blades are dirt cheap.

Personally I rinse the razor in really hot water (our hot water is hot enough to give me 3rd degree burns if I'm not careful) and shake it off. What little water is left evaporates pretty fast due to from the stored head in the razor.

3 4,677
 07-28-2015, 09:31 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(07-28-2015, 08:59 AM)Shannon Wrote: I've read that stainless still corrodes, just not as much as carbon steel. I have had stainless items develop minor rust as well, so I give my razor a good shake or three after rinsing.

Yes, stainless steel does corrode at a very much slower rate than regular carbon steels. It is really still a carbon steel but with very low carbon content iirc. 

Bob

0 1,694
 07-28-2015, 09:58 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
After every shave with a DE or SE blade I do the following:
  • Clean
  • Dry
  • Palm strop
  • Oil the blade
Razor is cleaned, any points of the movement or areas of metal contact receive oil.

13 626
 07-28-2015, 10:29 AM
User Info
Entasis,

I like your routine!  *thumbs up*

21 1,175
 07-28-2015, 11:16 AM
User Info
I always rinse and dry my DE blades and, have recently, started palm-stropping them when they are nearing the end of their cycle, after 10 shaves, usually. I am not sure if it helps or not, but I am getting good, smooth shaves. I have gone so far as 13 shaves on one.

83 21,115
 07-28-2015, 11:50 AM
User Info
(07-28-2015, 11:16 AM)celestino Wrote: I always rinse and dry my DE blades and, have recently, started palm-stropping them when they are nearing the end of their cycle, after 10 shaves, usually. I am not sure if it helps or not, but I am getting good, smooth shaves. I have gone so far as 13 shaves on one.

This is my method as well. Although I strop on my forearm not my palm. It's what my grandfather always did and it's what I did when I started this venture into wetshaving. I get a lot of mileage out of my blades as well. I toss them at 12 cause that's the highest number on my dice. But I think I could get more. Actually I'm sure I could. But as to the drying I disassemble my razor to dry after each shave. I rinse my blade and blot dry then set aside until next shave. I also rinse and dry my razors after every use.

82 2,249
 07-28-2015, 12:49 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I give my razors a few good shakes, then with tto heads I open the doors and blow 3 or 4 times and the blade and tray usually seem dry. With a 3 piece I blow through the bottom plate a few times and hang it up, dry or not, certainly dryer than if I'd done nothing at all. I've never seen a trace of rust on any of my blades, but there are a few supposed stainless steel butter knives in my kitchen drawer with rust spots on the blades.

7 2,359
 07-28-2015, 01:44 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I rinse 'em, then give my vintage carbons an alcohol rinse. That's about the extent of it.

7 2,359
 07-28-2015, 01:45 PM
User Info
I never care for my SS blades in any way other than a quick rinse. SOME SS alloys will rust, but the ones that won't are protected (if I remember metalurgy 101 correctly) by the chromium and it's protective "corrosion". I doubt that it would make sense for blade manufacturers to make SS blades out of SS alloys that will rust. That simply wouldn't make any sense. That's the whole rationale for SS blades today and was 50 years or so ago when they were first unveiled. Yes, I remember that; it was a huge deal, as you can imagine.

Now carbon steel blades, they definitely require after the shave care.

32 6,471
 07-28-2015, 02:01 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-28-2015, 01:45 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: SOME SS alloys will rust, but the ones that won't are protected (if I remember metalurgy 101 correctly) by the chromium and it's protective "corrosion". I doubt that it would make sense for blade manufacturers to make SS blades out of SS alloys that will rust. That simply wouldn't make any sense.

Stainless steel is accurately named.  It stains less, but stainless steel is not stainnot steel.  Eventually, any stainless steel will rust.  Dolly Parton once said, “eventually gravity wins”; the same is true for oxygen around iron alloys.

1 1,110
 07-28-2015, 02:27 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Everyone! The next time you change blades DO NOT DISPOSE OF THE OLD ONE. Get a small, lidded jar and deposit said blade WITH tapwater and get back to me in 6 months.

2 3,171
 07-28-2015, 03:03 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(07-28-2015, 01:45 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I never care for my SS blades in any way other than a quick rinse. SOME SS alloys will rust, but the ones that won't are protected (if I remember metalurgy 101 correctly) by the chromium and it's protective "corrosion". I doubt that it would make sense for blade manufacturers to make SS blades out of SS alloys that will rust. That simply wouldn't make any sense. That's the whole rationale for SS blades today and was 50 years or so ago when they were first unveiled. Yes, I remember that; it was a huge deal, as you can imagine.

Now carbon steel blades, they definitely require after the shave care.

Odd that stainless steel DE blades were introduced so late. Stainless steel straight razor blades were around pre WWII.

Bob

0 1,694