07-29-2015, 10:29 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
For all you shaving brush aficionados, and we have quite a few here, I am inquiring as to how to properly both store and display shaving brushes? I’m just now starting to get into shaving brushes, and I want to preserve versus use several of my brushes. I’m thinking a glass jar with a cork lid, and also cutting a piece of cork the shape of the inside bottom to reside at the bottom of the glass jar for the brush to stand on. In the bottom piece of cork I am considering sculpting out a portion to hide a desiccant packet. However, one of my shaving brushes has a horn handle, and I do not believe that I should place it into a container with a desiccant packet, but I might be wrong. How do the collectors here handle such matters? Thanks in advance.

13 626
 07-29-2015, 02:08 PM
User Info
I'll just wish you the best of luck with this endeavour as I could never just collect shaving brushes as my urge to use them would far exceed my need to preserve them.  Biggrin

I would love to see your display once you find an appropriate solution that fulfils your requirements.

83 21,115
 07-29-2015, 02:14 PM
User Info
I've never heard of anyone doing anything like this. Mine just sit on a shelf as I would suspect do most others. I did read of one guy who used a shoe box to contain those not in current use.
What are your concerns about just using an open display? Maybe your collection have some rare antiques but even so what you are proposing seems like unnecessary overkill.

46 489
 07-29-2015, 03:40 PM
User Info
I haven't taken any special measures to serve preservation along the lines you're considering, although I think it's both a great idea and thread topic.

I keep most of my personal brushes in cabinets. The photo below was take a little over two years ago. It have over twice as many brushes in it now. My wife picked up another cabinet for me at an estate sale a few weeks ago, but Cody invoked the Pig Rule (pigs go to market, hogs get slaughtered) and claimed it for himself. I yielded.

The one think I intend to do for the sake of my Ebonite-handled brushes is replace the glass with UV-filtering glass.

I usually let my brushes dry before I return then to the cabinet. But I'm not sure storing brushes with desiccant would be the best thing for them. I've noticed some tip breakage a few times when using a brush for the first time in several months, and it crossed my mind to wonder whether that might have been because they might have dried out a bit too much. You don't want them growing mold or mildew. On the other hand, I suspect a little humidity is probably not a bad thing. But that's just a guess.

3 1,036
 07-29-2015, 03:44 PM
User Info
I haven't used any special measures for the sake of preservation along the lines you're considering, although I think it's both a great idea and thread topic.

I keep most of my personal brushes in cabinets. The photo below was take a little over two years ago. It have more than twice as many brushes in it now. My wife picked up another cabinet for me at an estate sale a few weeks ago, but Cody invoked the Pig Rule (pigs go to market, hogs get slaughtered) and claimed it for himself. I yielded. I desperately need to expand storage capacity.

One thing I will do for the sake of my Ebonite-handled brushes is replace the glass in my cabinets with UV-filtering glass.

I usually let my brushes dry before I return then to the cabinet. But I'm not sure storing brushes with desiccant would be the best thing for them. I've noticed some tip breakage a few times when using a brush for the first time in several months, and it crossed my mind to wonder whether that might have resulted form letting them dry out a bit too much. You don't want them growing mold or mildew. On the other hand, I suspect a little humidity is probably not a bad thing. But that's just a guess.

[Image: Flea-market-brush-cabinet_zpsaadb6d6d.jpg]

3 1,036
 07-29-2015, 04:16 PM
User Info
My in use, rotation brushes are on an open shelf with my other daily use items.

My backup brushes are in a wooden cigar box, not air tight. When they get used, they are air dried for about 48hrs before heading back to the box.

[Image: 60990ff0560d6bbe3fce12183757738d.jpg]

[Image: 1a716620798f4024b58a34eb93b48979.jpg]

[Image: 18a779297cb303803beb96c2072b00bb.jpg]

8 2,718
 07-29-2015, 05:03 PM
User Info
Love the cigar box idea.  I had never thought of that before. Sweet collections by the way!

7 117
 07-30-2015, 12:26 PM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(07-29-2015, 02:14 PM)AFG008 Wrote: What are your concerns about just using an open display? Maybe your collection have some rare antiques but even so what you are proposing seems like unnecessary overkill.

My intent is to exhibit, without inviting little hands to touch, special brushes. I am looking for a time capsule approach to my legacy shaving goods that I will be leaving to my only son. It was about three years ago that my son (also a wet shaver) really upped the ante regarding wet shaving, and when I delved into wet shaving with a vengeance. Now, I far exceed what he has and is doing regarding wet shaving. This is a life reward to him for when I pass. Just a week ago, I learned from my mother that my father was a straight razor shaver. I would give anything to have one of my father's straight razors, but they are nowhere to be found. My father is deceased, and I want my son left with answers and items from my shaving past. He is always eyeing and inquiring about me giving him some of my existing items. The good thing is that I have a hidden cache of shaving goodies he's never seen, that he will inherit...he will certainly be surprised when he sees what I left him.

13 626
 07-30-2015, 12:38 PM
User Info
Excellent gift you are preparing for your son and I hope you can find an appropriate item that will satisfy you. Good luck.  Smile

83 21,115
 07-31-2015, 08:03 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(07-29-2015, 03:44 PM)Chiefbroom Wrote: I haven't used any special measures for the sake of preservation along the lines you're considering, although I think it's both a great idea and thread topic.

I keep most of my personal brushes in cabinets. The photo below was take a little over two years ago. It have more than twice as many brushes in it now. My wife picked up another cabinet for me at an estate sale a few weeks ago, but Cody invoked the Pig Rule (pigs go to market, hogs get slaughtered) and claimed it for himself. I yielded. I desperately need to expand storage capacity.

One thing I will do for the sake of my Ebonite-handled brushes is replace the glass in my cabinets with UV-filtering glass.

I usually let my brushes dry before I return then to the cabinet. But I'm not sure storing brushes with desiccant would be the best thing for them. I've noticed some tip breakage a few times when using a brush for the first time in several months, and it crossed my mind to wonder whether that might have resulted form letting them dry out a bit too much. You don't want them growing mold or mildew. On the other hand, I suspect a little humidity is probably not a bad thing. But that's just a guess.

Thanks for the support Ken, you're always the professional. The UV glass is a great idea. I'll have to see whether they actually have this coating available for cylindrical glass.

(07-29-2015, 04:16 PM)Bruce Wrote: My in use, rotation brushes are on an open shelf with my other daily use items.

My backup brushes are in a wooden cigar box, not air tight.  When they get used, they are air dried for about 48hrs before heading back to the box.

Bruce, I really like the cigar box idea. Like a great piece of architecture it has one curious as to what is inside. Time to move my private cache to one of these boxes

Thanks to all!

Cheers,
Jim

13 626