07-29-2015, 02:06 PM
User Info
I've been really focused on new shaving gears and neglected vintage razors, except for slim adjustable I have.
I just happen to read an article about red tip and gillette techs and it got me curious.

If you have one you want to get rid of at a reasonable price, let me know.  I'd like it to be in great condition. 

I can trade new CJB kamisori for it alternatively.

I decided not to mess with TTOs as I 've had some badly aligned TTOs and I just don't want to mess with it, so I am no longer interested in red tips.
Just tech or pre-war tech.

53 760
 07-30-2015, 05:24 AM
User Info
Obie is selling a red tip on the sale thread.  I don't know if $50 is a reasonable price but it sure looks to be in great shape.

9 329
 07-30-2015, 06:34 AM
User Info
saw that, that might be slightly more than wha tI would be willing to spend.
I might gravitate toward techs if that can be had for cheaper.

53 760
 07-30-2015, 07:01 AM
User Info
There are Techs all over eBay.  I think they usually go for less than $20.

9 329
 07-30-2015, 10:16 AM
User Info
(07-30-2015, 07:01 AM)repete66219 Wrote: There are Techs all over eBay.  I think they usually go for less than $20.

That's what I noticed.  There were too many I got a little overwhelmed.  I might search for a NOS one around $20 or so.
Thanks for your suggestion.

53 760
 07-30-2015, 11:11 AM
User Info
I've got a tech ball end , its not perfect but the Gillette logonis still visible on it. Pm me if interested. The RAD bit you hard my friend... Functions as it should as all that.

3 1,356
 07-30-2015, 12:45 PM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
The Red Tip is one of my favorites. Similar to a Slim on 6 for me. Prices vary. I got a very nice one on ETSY for around $30. 
I am lucky enough to have my Grandfather's prewar Tech. Great mild shaver as well. Look for one with the Triangular cutouts.

48 679
 07-30-2015, 04:01 PM
User Info
(07-30-2015, 12:45 PM)srgjazz Wrote: The Red Tip is one of my favorites. Similar to a Slim on 6 for me. Prices vary. I got a very nice one on ETSY for around $30. 
I am lucky enough to have my Grandfather's prewar Tech. Great mild shaver as well. Look for one with the Triangular cutouts.

yeah, I keep hearing about people raving about these razors and I suddenly got curious. 
Another reason is because the cutouts that hold the blades on the tech was similar to how LABBS holds the blade on the razor (and feather AS-d1/2)

I think I will stick with tech or prewar tech for now because I just remembered that I've had a few bad lucks with TTO's bad alignment.
I am assuming I will be safe from that issue if I just get a three piece razor that is more rigid and safe from mechanical/structural failures.

53 760
 07-31-2015, 06:33 AM
User Info
I have a red tip in beautiful condition with case and appropriate blades but the lowest i would go is $60

79 824
 07-31-2015, 02:19 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(07-30-2015, 04:01 PM)parachutefactory Wrote:
(07-30-2015, 12:45 PM)srgjazz Wrote: The Red Tip is one of my favorites. Similar to a Slim on 6 for me. Prices vary. I got a very nice one on ETSY for around $30. 

yeah, I keep hearing about people raving about these razors and I suddenly got curious. 
Another reason is because the cutouts that hold the blades on the tech was similar to how LABBS holds the blade on the razor (and feather AS-d1/2)

I think I will stick with tech or prewar tech for now because I just remembered that I've had a few bad lucks with TTO's bad alignment.
I am assuming I will be safe from that issue if I just get a three piece razor that is more rigid and safe from mechanical/structural failures.

I had a triangle slotted tech with worn threads.  During the period that I posted it for sale, I saw a WTB post for one. The member posted that the threads be in good condition and not worn. He stated that he had been burned before. I had never noticed this or heard of this, but after close examination the threads were worn. The razor still tightened down and was still usable. It just took 2 turns to be completely tight.  I didn't feel comfortable selling the razor so I simply lowered the lot price and when the buyer asked about the Tech, I threw in the razor as a freebie. I'm just sharing a story and not saying anyone here would burn you. But if you do purchase a Tech, check the threads just as you would check blade alignment in a TTO. Good luck with your search.  Also, you should try a Red Tip if you can. They are incredible razors.

75 1,320
 07-31-2015, 04:17 PM
User Info
(07-31-2015, 02:19 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(07-30-2015, 04:01 PM)parachutefactory Wrote:

I had a triangle slotted tech with worn threads.  During the period that I posted it for sale, I saw a WTB post for one. The member posted that the threads be in good condition and not worn. He stated that he had been burned before. I had never noticed this or heard of this, but after close examination the threads were worn. The razor still tightened down and was still usable. It just took 2 turns to be completely tight.  I didn't feel comfortable selling the razor so I simply lowered the lot price and when the buyer asked about the Tech, I threw in the razor as a freebie. I'm just sharing a story and not saying anyone here would burn you. But if you do purchase a Tech, check the threads just as you would check blade alignment in a TTO. Good luck with your search.  Also, you should try a Red Tip if you can. They are incredible razors.

thanks for the warning. will do

53 760