• ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Crazy (krā′zē)

adj. -zier, ziest

1. (a) Mentally deranged or insane
    (b) Odd or eccentric behaviour

2. Departing from proportion or moderation, especially:
    (a) Possessed by enthusiasm or excitement: He went crazy when lathering with his ABW* brush.
    (b) Immoderately fond or infatuated: He was crazy about his ABW brush.
    © Intensely involved or preoccupied He is crazy for ABW brushes.
    (d) Foolish or impractical; senseless: He had a crazy scheme to buy all the ABW brushes.
    (e) Intensely annoyed or irritated: It will make you crazy if you miss out on one of these ABW brushes.

3. Disorderly or askew

(*ABW: Asylum Brush Works)

[Image: D0krgw9.png]

[Image: LcbGl6V.png]

Asylum Brush Works

ABW have debuted with three high quality synthetic fibre brushes.

The handles are lathe turned and solid resin.

The knots are hand tied and European made.

The brand is the creation of our own head bull-goose looney, Phil (of Bullgoose Shaving).

[Image: DbEa5l4.jpg]

Two of the three brushes pay homage (with their name) to the American film drama "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", based on the novel written by Ken Kesey. 

(Widely rumoured to be Phil's all time favourite movie)

[Image: UgA76k0.png]

[Image: AsN41OL.png]

[Image: 5aPJ0h1.png]

[Image: LPAOVik.png]

Cheswick

The Cheswick honours the Rover by Simpson, but appears as never before seen in stunning Malaquia.

Approximate dimensions:

Knot: 23mm x 49mm
Handle Height: 47mm
Total Height: 95mm

[Image: eHRcPBW.png]

[Image: BrORkLp.png]

[Image: a23bGfd.png]

[Image: XXfAvH0.png]

Scanlon

The Scanlon takes inspiration from a octagonal shaped handle most commonly associated with Thater brushes.
The butterscotch colour provides a refreshing change to the more common white, black or clear offerings usually associated with this design.

Approximate dimensions:

Knot: 24mm x 52mm
Handle Height: 45mm
Total Height: 95mm

[Image: 7arMMQg.png]

[Image: ZiQxMR1.png]

[Image: 9jairwd.png]

[Image: q51fwPm.png]

BG7

The BG7 pays homage to one of the most frequently adopted designs since it was reintroduced by Simpson as the GYLE M7.
The amber rod stock provides further tribute to it's inspiration.

Approximate dimensions:

Knot: 23mm x 50mm
Handle Hight: 47mm
Total Height: 110mm

[Image: m9VxAT8.png]

[Image: Y2sogiJ.png]

All three knots are very soft and extra stuffed with a fibre somewhere akin to a cross between Muhle and Plisson.
Appearance wise you'd be forgiven to believe the fibre as Muhle's.
However, performance and feel is more in line with the experience offered by Plisson, albeit sans the floppiness.
The Muhle provides (for me) excessive spring or resistance against the face.
The ABW brushes provide greater splay and exhibit less knot integrity compared to Muhle's fibres.
Unlike the Muhle, the brush doesn't require mashing into the face.
However, on account of the shorter loft the knot feels more robust than Plisson.

The handles are substantial and have a high quality feel that you'd expect from a more expensive brush.
The handle shapes, although not original are excellent both visually and ergonomically.

[Image: qQVyoPQ.png]

[Image: Cpb9Kg6.png]

At the modest investment of only $55 each you'd be crazy not to give them a try!

99 18,011
 07-30-2015, 03:30 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Wonderful Post Ben! Photos, Specifications, Thoughts and Impressions.

59 4,492
 07-30-2015, 03:59 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Agreed- thanks for posting the review(s). Great images too!

2 1,180
 07-30-2015, 04:13 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
Amazing as always Ben! Enjoy your brushes. I was thinking BG7 is my favorite of the bunch but when I look at the pictures I don't think I can choose a favorite one.

0 1,053
 07-30-2015, 04:27 AM
User Info
Wonderful post Ben with lovely pictures, appreciate your efforts. A cross between a Muhle/Plisson you say? Now that sounds interesting, definitely something I know that i will be trying.

The BG7 is calling my name...

7 786
 07-30-2015, 04:36 AM
User Info
Great reading, Ben !
You think these could sway me away from my badgers

24 5,965
 07-30-2015, 05:35 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Excellent encapsulated overview of the ABW , initially had a mild interest in getting one but now I'm seriously moving it up my list.. Plisson like with better backbone, nice! This should have some serious potential! Thank you Ben! Any product you put in front of your lens will enhance its appeal and marketing value Tongue

Great choice in initial handle shapes.

35 1,329
 07-30-2015, 05:58 AM
User Info
Man I had originally fallen in love with the BG7, but the more photos I see I'm starting to lean toward the Scanlon!

43 207
 07-30-2015, 07:26 AM
User Info
When I first read about these I thought the loft would be too short and they wouldn't splay. I had a couple of Muhles with shorter lofts and they were too firm. I like the Plisson but would like a bit more firmness. I may have to give one of these a try.

44 486
 07-30-2015, 09:40 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Great pictures Ben! I am glad to hear that you like the brushes

46 18,339
 07-30-2015, 10:08 AM
User Info
Nice write-up Ben.  These look like nice brushes at a good price point. 

Do these knots have a noticeable glue bump?  I've been doing a lot of experimenting with synthetics since last year, and am considering trying one of these.  However, I'm concerned that adding a significant glue bump to an already low loft may result in a brush that does not splay enough.

50 6,073
 07-30-2015, 10:25 AM
User Info
(07-30-2015, 04:36 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Great reading, Ben !
You think these could sway me away from my badgers

Biggrin

83 21,077
 07-30-2015, 02:07 PM
User Info
Lovely write up Ben! I love Plisson brushes and have sold my Muhles due to lack of splay and luxury. Your comments mentioning a cross between both has me intrigued now. Really like the handles.

5 160
 07-30-2015, 07:31 PM
User Info
(07-30-2015, 10:08 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Nice write-up Ben.  These look like nice brushes at a good price point. 

Do these knots have a noticeable glue bump?  I've been doing a lot of experimenting with synthetics since last year, and am considering trying one of these.  However, I'm concerned that adding a significant glue bump to an already low loft may result in a brush that does not splay enough.

I have the BG7, I haven't noticed any glue bumps and the brush splays just the right amount. The BG7 definitely has a spot right next to my WW Ubersoft custom.

11 132
 07-30-2015, 07:33 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(07-30-2015, 07:26 AM)AFG008 Wrote: When I first read about these I thought the loft would be too short and they wouldn't splay. I had a couple of Muhles with shorter lofts and they were too firm. I like the Plisson but would like a bit more firmness. I may have to give one of these a try.

My thoughts exactly. I didn't think I would truly enjoy these brushes. Like you, I found the Muhle too firm and my prediction was for a similar firmness. I still prefer the longer lofted Plisson, but for someone seeking some middle ground, these bring you closer.

(07-30-2015, 10:08 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Nice write-up Ben.  These look like nice brushes at a good price point. 

Neither the BG7 or Cheswick has a glue bump. The Scanlon in my possession does have a noticeable glue bump, however it is most likely due to excessive adhesive and is more prominent on one side of the knot. It certainly doesn't appear to be a design feature like the Simpson M6 for example. Despite the short loft there is some decent splay without excessive pressure. The less artificial spring to these brushes is what draws me to liken them to the Plisson.

(07-30-2015, 07:31 PM)Mercergent Wrote: I have the BG7, I haven't noticed any glue bumps and the brush splays just the right amount. The BG7 definitely has a spot right next to my WW Ubersoft custom.

I agree, "just the right amount." Not quite as reserved as the Muhle, yet not as generously as the Plisson.

99 18,011
 07-30-2015, 09:46 PM
User Info
Very cool. Any badger knots though?

2 359
 07-31-2015, 05:14 AM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
Great photos and review. FYI the book was written by Ken Kesey. The movie is focused on Randle while the book is written from the Chiefs point of view.

48 679
 07-31-2015, 10:35 AM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
Great review, write up and photos Ben. Thank you for sharing.

0 403
 08-01-2015, 11:08 PM
User Info
Solid review and gorgeous photos, Ben. I ordered the Scanlon tonight and look forward to running it through it's paces.

69 2,186
 08-02-2015, 02:25 AM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
Scanlon looks real good.

10 376