07-31-2015, 10:39 AM
User Info
I have been absent from this site these past several weeks due to surgical procedure, with resulting complications, incidental to cancer. Now that I have sufficiently recovered am pleased to report that I have found the most spectacular buy which I strongly encourage you to check out. Joe Ruggiero t/a DampCellarTurnings is offering for sale pure hair badger brushes crafted with maple, red oak or beech wood handles. The brush recently purchased by me for only $18.00 is absolutely beautiful. It has, according to my measurements, a knot of 22mm; a loft of 60mm; and a handle height of 60mm. I obtained the green stained red oak handle; and the stain brings out the grain of the wood as though it were burl. I have used it once, and the experience was no different than my Simpson Eagle G3 which cost me considerable more money. I will post pictures soon, but you can check out the items by visiting Joe's web site. Quite frankly, I do not know how long the brush will last. I always subscribe to the belief that you get exactly what you pay for. Yet, I find no difference esthetically between the custom brush crafted by Robert Grubber t/a Excalibur Rustics with exotic cocobolo wood handle and the red oak handle brush crafted by Joe. In fact, I like red oak preferring it to all others. Incidentally, the pictures on Joe's website do not do the finished item justice. The brush received by me was far prettier than that set forth in Joe's advertisement. If anyone else has purchased a brush -- or any other item -- from Joe, share with me your thoughts.

0 43
 07-31-2015, 10:55 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Thanks for the tip- more importantly glad to hear that you are recovering well.

The only thing that may not align with my personal taste is the knot to loft ratio seems steep but happy that you found a great value!

Enjoy in GREAT health.

2 1,180
 07-31-2015, 11:34 AM
User Info
(07-31-2015, 10:55 AM)kwsher Wrote: Thanks for the tip- more importantly glad to hear that you are recovering well.
The only thing that may not align with my personal taste is the knot to loft ratio seems steep but happy that you found a great value!
Enjoy in GREAT health.

+1

82 21,056
 07-31-2015, 12:13 PM
User Info
This sounds like an advertisement  Tongue

18 713
 07-31-2015, 01:44 PM
User Info
I also thought that the loft would be too high, but since the brush uses "pure," instead of "silvertip," badger hair it has more than satisfactory backbone. Words cannot adequately describe the differences provided by my various brushes. In addition to "pure" and "silvertip" badger brushes, I own the Shavemac Opus Summum and two boar bristle brushes. Each has its own component of perfection.

0 43
 07-31-2015, 02:26 PM
User Info
(07-31-2015, 10:55 AM)kwsher Wrote: Thanks for the tip- more importantly glad to hear that you are recovering well.

Enjoy in GREAT health.
+2

39 3,877