08-01-2015, 07:33 AM
User Info
Are mugs for creams supposed to have different dimensions then mugs for soaps? I ask because i have one but it's to tall to use with cream(my fingers hit the edges). It's about 8 cm(3.14 inches) in height.

0 98
 08-01-2015, 02:40 PM
User Info
I've bought this http://www.ladysea.net/pottery/shaving/mug_ex1.jpg , but I think this is ideal for lathering creams Pedestal Shaving Bowl.

0 98
 08-08-2015, 06:31 AM
  • Watash
  • Missouri
User Info
Alex, I am a mug latherer and my mugs are taller on the sides. They are made that way to accommodate the extra thickness of the soap puck and still have enough height remaining to whip up a good lather.

The first picture you show looks like someone tried to make a combo mug and bowl and those swirls on the bottom would do nothing for a mug latherer and the added height would only hinder a bowl latherer.

Elsewhere on this site are many discussions and reviews bowl choices. I think the Bill Bowl is one of the really pupular ones. A lot more bowl latherers here than there are the old mug guys like me. I learned back in the old days Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 29
 08-08-2015, 07:05 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
To me bowl lathering is just that using a bowl to make lather. That happens after you load the brush with soap from a puck or put some cream in the bottom of the bowl or on the tip of your brush. Any ordinary bowl 5-6 inches wide and 3-4 inches deep will do. You can also go to purpose build bowls with swirls or hash marks built in that supposedly make building a lather easier.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-09-2015, 07:02 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I use mugs like OS mugs to hold & load my soaps from - then I move to a relatively wide, flat cereal bowl (about 6" across) that I can easily cup in my hand to lather the loaded brush in. Cream goes directly in the bowl.
Really there isn't a right answer here, just try a few different approaches and see what works best for you Smile

2 517
 01-07-2016, 08:19 AM
User Info
I use this one from Muhle. Perfection for €24.

[Image: RwfvtEb.png]

0 42
 01-12-2016, 02:55 PM
User Info
(08-08-2015, 07:05 AM)BobH Wrote: To me bowl lathering is just that using a bowl to make lather. That happens after you load the brush with soap from a puck or put some cream in the bottom of the bowl or on the tip of your brush. Any ordinary bowl 5-6 inches wide and 3-4 inches deep will do. You can also go to purpose build bowls with swirls or hash marks built in that supposedly make building a lather easier.

Bob

I'm with you on that. Bowl lathering is strictly utilitarian for me.

That said, I've noticed that I unconsciously tend to bowl lather creams more than soaps. I have absolutely no idea why this is.

3 1,484