08-01-2015, 10:04 AM
User Info
Has anyone installed it yet?

The reason I ask is due to my deep and abiding dislike of Windows8. I simply don't rust MS anymore to make something that is useable. Yes, they say it's "like" what I want, I forget the words, but I have as much faith in their lies as I do in a politicians.

If you have installed it is it indeed like what I'm accustomed to? FWIW, I'm using Windows7, and was perfectly happy with XP. I want absolutely none of the Windows8 BS.

I do have a free upgrade offer from MS just waiting for me to tell them to destroy my user interface. Of course I'm reluctant to do so unless I know from users that it's what I'll like.

Thanks in advance.

32 6,459
 08-01-2015, 10:17 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I abandoned windows a long time ago, happy mac user now, hope it works out for you  Thumbup

28 1,442
 08-01-2015, 10:25 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
If you' re satisfied with a programm, just don't replace it with something that maybe it's worse.
My PC and laptop have the Windows 7. It's a great programm. The previous, Vista, was horrible, so the 8.
What I am going to do. I will wait some time to see reactions, any updates from MS, problems that maybe will come up and in time I will choose. The most dominant scenario is to keep everything as they are now. No changes.

49 1,996
 08-01-2015, 10:32 AM
User Info
It has a rollback feature you can use to downgrade if you don't like it. You can rollback anytime within one month of installing.

18 713
 08-01-2015, 10:49 AM
User Info
(08-01-2015, 10:17 AM)Snuff Wrote: I abandoned windows a long time ago, happy mac user now, hope it works out for you  Thumbup

I did too-- around Vista I went to Linux. Windows 7 era I used MaC. I went back to Windows. They all have their downsides. 

Linux is not in a good state right now IMO with the collapse of GNOME 2. Lots of Chaos right now. If it worked like back in the day it would be my choice.

Windows. Slow. Malware mine field. Not as stable as OS X. Same old story.

Mac. I don't like their buissiness practices. They have zero long term support.  Fairly recent hardware can not be upgraded to the most recent OS and old OS gets no security updates. Obvious ploy to get you to buy another of their over priced computers prematurely. You can't even upgrade the RAM or HDD anymore with their newest computers. They want to empty out your pockets as much as possible as charge you 4x the cost you can do to upgrade it yourself.

I wish there was a suitable alternative. Amiga maybe? It is kind of like having to pick between two monopolies to deliver your internet. The cable company or the phone company. Or which of the two Pre selected boneheads You would like to be president. None are too good.

18 713
 08-01-2015, 11:14 AM
User Info
Im running windows 10. Its really nice and smooth. seems like theyve been testing this for a long time.

Just a word of caution, they are tracking almost everything you do on windows ten, so you need to go to your settings>security>general and disable everything. then go through the other tabs and disable what you want. I turned off everything, and switched to a local account not linked to an emaill

0 517
 08-01-2015, 11:45 AM
User Info
(08-01-2015, 11:14 AM)DamnitGoose Wrote: Im running windows 10. Its really nice and smooth. seems like theyve been testing this for a long time.

Just a word of caution, they are tracking almost everything you do on windows ten, so you need to go to your settings>security>general and disable everything. then go through the other tabs and disable what you want. I turned off everything, and switched to a local account not linked to an emaill

If you believe the Snowden powerpoint slides, they have had NSA backdoors to it way before Windows 10.

18 713
 08-01-2015, 11:55 AM
User Info
(08-01-2015, 11:45 AM)fram773 Wrote:
(08-01-2015, 11:14 AM)DamnitGoose Wrote: Im running windows 10. Its really nice and smooth. seems like theyve been testing this for a long time.

If you believe the Snowden powerpoint slides, they have had NSA backdoors to it way before Windows 10.
Well, that I can't stop. I would rather them not have legal access to my computer data as long as I can help it

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

0 517
 08-01-2015, 12:06 PM
User Info

I'm not a techie but the bloke that installed my new PC yesterday is. I had XP on the old machine and it was fine right up to the last day the machine was running. We thought it prudent to install 7 given that 10 is so new and the new machine is rock solid.  The installer himself did install 10 today on his own PC and was surprisingly pleased with it.  He said it's far easier to get to grips with than 8 or 8.1 and he has high hopes for it.  I'll upgrade to 10 sometime within the next 12 months as it's free within that year......just not yet.

BUT

He made the very same point about the security settings.  He's altered them so that everything doesn't get sent back to Head Office but was concerned at the amount of stuff that did get reported upon.

0 66
 08-01-2015, 12:26 PM
User Info
Exactly, it is significantly easier than 8.1 but I felt as though my privacy had been compromised when I upgraded. Bad Microsoft!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

0 517
 08-01-2015, 12:41 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Win 8.1 works great once you install "StartIsBack" to get a decent start menu.  
I'm holding off installing Win10 until Symantec releases an update to SEP to make it compatible.  It's the only app holding me back.

47 1,923
 08-01-2015, 01:24 PM
User Info
Desktop is staying Windows 7 till it dies (don't use it much).  Spend most of my time on my Chromebook, which I love.  Most everything you need, nothing more.

53 1,199
 08-01-2015, 01:52 PM
User Info
I use Mac now, only use Windows at work and when using my GF's computer.

Not dissing windows at all, it works just fine - but I installed Windows 8 on my fathers new PC recently, and wow it feels crappy to be honest.

They try to remake things, yet still leave the door open to the old world, because they know the new stuff works quite horrible and most will turn it back to the old windows look a like.

I used to build Pc's and update hardware, now I use my Mac and it works very well. Yes, Apple is overpriced and expensive - so is so much else in life, like expensive red wine, cars, clothing, watches, badger brushes, shaving soaps etc.

24 5,965
 08-01-2015, 01:57 PM
User Info
(08-01-2015, 10:49 AM)fram773 Wrote:
(08-01-2015, 10:17 AM)Snuff Wrote: I abandoned windows a long time ago, happy mac user now, hope it works out for you  Thumbup

I did too-- around Vista I went to Linux. Windows 7 era I used MaC. I went back to Windows. They all have their downsides. 

Linux is not in a good state right now IMO with the collapse of GNOME 2. Lots of Chaos right now. If it worked like back in the day it would be my choice.

Mac. I don't like their buissiness practices. They have zero long term support.  Fairly recent hardware can not be upgraded to the most recent OS and old OS gets no security updates. Obvious ploy to get you to buy another of their over priced computers prematurely. You can't even upgrade the RAM or HDD anymore with their newest computers. They want to empty out your pockets as much as possible as charge you 4x the cost you can do to upgrade it yourself.

I wish there was a suitable alternative. Amiga maybe? It is kind of like having to pick between two monopolies to deliver your internet. The cable company or the phone company. Or which of the two Pre selected boneheads You would like to be president. None are too good.

Like you, I've used a bunch of OS's. I prefer Linux to them all, and I usually tweak it to the point that it works just the way I want it. I don't use GNOME, so I have felt no disruption of my OS. Slackware + custom kernel + LarsWM = win for me! Smile

I used to prefer OSX to Windows (by a mile), but no more. OSX has become slow and bloated, and the fact that you pointed out - about recent hardware being obsoleted by Apple has pissed me off more than you can imagine. In fact, I converted my older Macbook Pro's to Linux - single boot - I removed OSX completely, as it is such a drag!

I didn't care for Windows XP or Vista or even 7 (though it was bearable). I had no issues with Windows 8, which I found to be snappier than Win7, but I can see why other people didn't like it.

I upgraded to the Windows 10 Technical Preview early in it's life-cycle, and I've had no regrets. Early builds were stuttery, but the later ones have been fine. I don't think it's as smooth as Windows8.1, but I haven't found anything to complain about.

This is coming form a person who's fairly computer-literate: I usually suggest waiting for about a year after a major Windows release before updating. However, with Windows 10, I can recommend upgrading whenever you like. The upgrades were all seamless, and the interface is really pleasant. Expect some slow-down initially, but it seems to settle in after a while.

About the privacy issue: I hate this, but I've come to the conclusion that unless you don't use the internet at all, you can pretty much expect no privacy at all. That's the reality in this day and age.

37 1,743
 08-01-2015, 02:54 PM
User Info
The lack of privacy doesn't bother me though  it should. I've just known about it long before most people did. I never wore rose colored glasses and did my research long before it was cool to do so.

As long as I can roll it back if I hate it I'm good with that. As long as it leaves nothing behind. Does it? I don't want to be locked into MS's lies and subterfuge. I'm coming to really dislike MS. That's right, I have no trust of them. On a scale of 1-10 about a 9.5. But I dislike Apple even more. I also have no intention to get back "into" computing enough to be more than just a user of computers. I was an addict at one time and no longer am. I intend it to stay just that way.

I'm going to hold off for awhile and see which way the winds blow.

Feel free to update as you see fit. Thanks!

32 6,459
 08-01-2015, 04:01 PM
User Info
Honestly, I can state that Windows 10 is more Windows 7-like than Windows 8 was. 

The Metro interface is buried a bit, and is not available if you don't want it. The windows look slightly different from the Win7 ones (different borders, etc), but otherwise there are few major differences. 

You'll notice the presence of the universal search bar in the taskbar, but that can be removed. You also have the Win8-like tiles in the start menu, but they can also be removed if you like. There are some touch-friendly features that are present, but you won't notice them if you don't use them. 

If you're concerned about it, you don't need to upgrade from Win7. However, if you're on Win8, you will be happier with Win10.

37 1,743
 08-01-2015, 05:45 PM
User Info
(08-01-2015, 10:25 AM)nikos.a Wrote: If you' re satisfied with a programm, just don't replace it with something that maybe it's worse.
My PC and laptop have the Windows 7. It's a great programm. The previous, Vista, was horrible, so the 8.
What I am going to do. I will wait some time to see reactions, any updates from MS, problems that maybe will come up and in time I will choose. The most dominant scenario is to keep everything as they are now. No changes.

+ 1   I agree !!!

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 08-01-2015, 05:55 PM
User Info
(08-01-2015, 05:45 PM)Lorenzo Wrote:
(08-01-2015, 10:25 AM)nikos.a Wrote: If you' re satisfied with a programm, just don't replace it with something that maybe it's worse.

+ 1   I agree !!!

Lorenzo.

The downside of this approach (keeping what works) is that eventually Microsoft will stop supporting the older OS. That means that patches (especially security patches) will stop being made available to the old OS. While this may not affect your day-to-day running of the computer, it could seriously affect the security of the OS.

Microsoft has been pretty decent about supporting older OS's, but they eventually stop the support, and this may happen sooner with the advent of Windows 10. 

By all means, stick to what works for you, but always be aware that you do so with some risk attached. 

I can understand being careful about upgrading the OS though. Microsoft has developed a bad reputation for turning out half-baked OS's. Biggrin

37 1,743
 08-01-2015, 08:08 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I understand people with access to your social accounts like FARCEBOOK can gain access to your private information as well. I am on Windows 7, don't do the social stuff and all the NSA has to do is call the federal bureau of intimidation to get my old files. But ,isn't it ironic? I come online mostly to discuss mechanical watches, fountain pens, wet shaving, prewar Rolls Royce's and watch Piorot and
Foyle's War episodes.

2 3,171
 08-01-2015, 10:13 PM
User Info
(08-01-2015, 10:49 AM)fram773 Wrote: I did too-- around Vista I went to Linux. Windows 7 era I used MaC. I went back to Windows. They all have their downsides. 

From what my brother has told me about Linux, it is doing just fine. The GNOME2 was changed to Mate and he says Unity is probably the best desktop manager after being modified from GNOME3. You can also try Cinnamon, KDE, XFCE, or any of the other desktop managers to see which one is most compatible for you. 
Just relaying some information from him and I don't know much about computers, but I have been using some form of Linux/Ubuntu system for the past 10 years and I couldn't be happier.  Shy

83 21,077