08-02-2015, 01:22 PM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
I recently saw a razor that I liked and it was advertised for Heavy Beards. I was wondering what characteristics does a razor for Heavy Beards Have?
Also how does one define Heavy Beards, especially if your beard is light colored (almost gray).
Thanks,
H

21 447
 08-02-2015, 01:38 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Harry,

What brand was the razor? We need a picture. The mere mention of a razor for "heavy beards" make me suspicious about your find. I have a heavy beard and I use mostly hollow blades, with sprinkling of heavier grinds. Some say you should use a heavier grind for a heavier beard. That is nonesense. There are many myths floating around in the straight razor shaving world and many of them are bunk. Picture, please.

145 2,947
 08-02-2015, 01:54 PM
User Info
I agree with Obie - we need some more details. 

Heavy beards are usually characterized by thick hair and thick growth. However, straights that are advertised as being 'for heavy beards' or 'for thick beards' are usually all hype. They tend to have a thicker grind (usually 1/4-hollow), but a lot of 1/4-hollow blades are not marked as such. There's actually no correlation between heavy beards and the straight grind. 

It is true that a heavier grind (wedge or near-wedge) will be less sensitive to edge degradation (because of the weight), but any properly-honed straight will shave any beard properly. 

It's more important to pay attention to the size and grind YOU prefer than to pay attention to the maker's hype. 

I have a pretty heavy beard, but I prefer 5/8" full-hollow blades. Why? I keep them very sharp and I like the maneuverability. I don't insist that they will work for everyone, as that's a fallacy in this hobby. A guy with peach fuzz may prefer an 8/8" wedge, and more power to him, as long as he gets a shave he likes.

37 1,743
 08-02-2015, 04:48 PM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
(08-02-2015, 01:54 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: I agree with Obie - we need some more details. 

Heavy beards are usually characterized by thick hair and thick growth. However, straights that are advertised as being 'for heavy beards' or 'for thick beards' are usually all hype. They tend to have a thicker grind (usually 1/4-hollow), but a lot of 1/4-hollow blades are not marked as such. There's actually no correlation between heavy beards and the straight grind. 

It is true that a heavier grind (wedge or near-wedge) will be less sensitive to edge degradation (because of the weight), but any properly-honed straight will shave any beard properly. 

It's more important to pay attention to the size and grind YOU prefer than to pay attention to the maker's hype. 

I have a pretty heavy beard, but I prefer 5/8" full-hollow blades. Why? I keep them very sharp and I like the maneuverability. I don't insist that they will work for everyone, as that's a fallacy in this hobby. A guy with peach fuzz may prefer an 8/8" wedge, and more power to him, as long as he gets a shave he likes.
Thanks for your response/ The razor is a Le Grelot 6/8 Locus 360 1/2 , 3 barbers ???on the Etching . I am to new to the world of straights to actually develop a preference at this time.  Anyway thanks for your input.

21 447
 08-02-2015, 08:27 PM
User Info
Well, the Le Grelot's are all good razors - regardless of grind. 

I had one of those Le Grelot 'Pour Barbes Tres Dure' (or something like that), and it was a 1/4-hollow 6/8" blade that was a great shaver. I sold it since I like finer grinds, but it certainly was a good shaver. 

If the one you're looking at is available at a good price and is in good shape, it should be a nice shaver after it has been properly honed. 

Since you don't have a grind/size preference, this could be a nice razor to pick up.

37 1,743
 08-03-2015, 02:52 AM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
(08-02-2015, 08:27 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: Well, the Le Grelot's are all good razors - regardless of grind. 

I had one of those Le Grelot 'Pour Barbes Tres Dure' (or something like that), and it was a 1/4-hollow 6/8" blade that was a great shaver. I sold it since I like finer grinds, but it certainly was a good shaver. 

If the one you're looking at is available at a good price and is in good shape, it should be a nice shaver after it has been properly honed. 

Since you don't have a grind/size preference, this could be a nice razor to pick up.
Thanks for the information. I appreciate your help.
Have a great week.
Harry

21 447