06-23-2012, 07:29 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I picked up a tub of Castle Forbes Lime cream on the BST, and it arrived this week.

I have been hearing about this cream since I started wet shaving, and it's been pretty much unanimously good. When I saw it come up for a great price on a barely-used tub, I jumped right on it.

I was ready for it to be thick, almost soap like. In fact, it's a bit softer than I was expecting, not quite as firm as RazoRock XXX or King Louis. It's got the same opalescent sheen I associate with creams like TOBS.

Latherability: The first night, I swirled on the top of the soap for about 20 seconds, and got a very thick coating on my face, to which I added water several times, and then again for the second pass. I also didn't press hard, so clearly this stuff is going to last a long time.

Today I loaded for a 10-second count, and got a whole scuttle full of lather. I had originally planned it to be just a test so I could dial it in more, but I made so much I decided to leave it while I showered. It was still completely stable when my shower was done. I put the scuttle bowl into the reservoir to heat it up again, and that didn't damage the stability, either.

Glide: The razor glided smoothly over my face. First night it was with a 6x used Astra SP. Today with a new Schick Plus Platinum. There was basically no feeling of friction at all.

Protectiveness/Cushion: The lather protected my face very well. Last night's shave, with the used blade and without a pre-shave shower was very comfortable, resulting in a very smooth shave an no weepers, and no irritation except in the standard spots for me.

I bowl-lathered tonight (as you will see) resulting in a fluffier lather than usual, which may actually have been slightly too cushion-y.

Scent: The scent is a pleasant, natural lime scent. It's not overly sweet, nor is it brutally intense. The lather sticks around in the lather, making for a nice olfactory experience the whole shave.

Price: The large tub of CF shaving cream (200ml/6.7oz) is $38 at most retailers. That's pretty pricey for shaving cream, but between the quality ingredients, performance and the very small amount necessary for a shave, I'd say it's worth it.

Ingredients:
Water, Stearic Acid, Aloe Vera, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Coconut Acid, Dipropylene Glycol, Lime Essential Oil, Citric Acid, Triethanolamine, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylisothliazolinone, Potassium Sorbate, Limonene, Citral, Geraniol, Linalool

Lather after 10 second load (actually still a bit dry, I added more water)

Remaining lather after lathering my hand a couple of times, and a 3 pass shave

10 1,858
 06-23-2012, 07:34 PM
User Info
(06-23-2012, 07:29 PM)Songwind Wrote: The first night, I swirled on the top of the soap for about 20 minutes, and got a very thick coating on my face,

20min may be a bit long to lather on CF Tongue

i usually do for about 15sec (1 time thru the ABC')

8 2,718
 06-23-2012, 07:37 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Heh. No wonder it was so thick!

10 1,858
 06-23-2012, 07:47 PM
User Info
(06-23-2012, 07:37 PM)Songwind Wrote: Heh. No wonder it was so thick!

Ha, that would be quite the shave.

funny, i just started CF Lime again today in rotation, i'll use it for about a week. it's a fantastic cream, great scent and like you said, a little goes a long way.

10-12sec on the container is plenty for a 3 pass shave with leftover for post shave routine (i leave some on my face during cleanup)

enjoy

8 2,718
 06-23-2012, 07:55 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
CF is one of my favorite products and so far my favorite cream always delivers for me though I'm more partial to the cedarwood, i like the limes okay, the lavender is incredible as well, i may have to try a balm one of these days, but they don't come cheap either

3 748
 06-23-2012, 07:57 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I tried the CF Lime earlier in the year. I loved the smell, the way it made the shave so smooth, but there was something in it that caused my skin to breakout. So, I gave it away. For some reason, there are a lot of the British soaps that do that to me.

173 23,553