08-04-2015, 04:50 PM
User Info
So mine started with the usual blade acquisition, I acquired 100 packs of blades just from reading reviews, and ended up with 2000+ blades that I won't get to use before I die.

Then, my next AD was razors. Starting with ej89, I moved on to merkur 39c, r41, stealth slant, baby smooth, standard razor, slim adjustable, fatboy adjustable, ikon 101, ikon 102, ikon DLC slant, LABBS1,Weber PH, Weber DLC, mongoose, mamba.. Of course I do not still have all of them. I traded some of them to get other razors.

Next was aftershaves. I started out pretty easy, falling in love with Fine aftershaves. Then it developed into soap scent curiosity. I've been acquiring lots of razorock soaps, balms and matching aftershaves.

I have not yet started acquiring dead badgers yet, so that's a good sign.
However, I seem to pay a lot of attention to nice looking handles recently. I think I like the look of UFO handles. I should stop looking at them.

What's your order of progression? How bad is it?

53 760
 08-04-2015, 04:53 PM
User Info
Aftershave splashes
Soaps
Aftershave splashes

In that order. Never really got an AD for anything else. I've thinned out most of my soaps but still collect splashes. Down to around 15-20 soaps but about 40-50 splashes and growing.

147 3,464
 08-04-2015, 04:56 PM
User Info
(08-04-2015, 04:53 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Aftershave splashes
Soaps
Aftershave splashes

In that order. Never really got an AD for anything else. I've thinned out most of my soaps but still collect splashes. Down to around 15-20 soaps but about 40-50 splashes and growing.

jeez...do you get to use all of them? or do they just fall out of rotation?
I first started out with cheap old spice that's widely available.  I deemed them to be okay, only until I tried other nice splashes like fine, razorock lines.
Old spice is almost nauseating now I had to add a lot of menthol crystals to make it "USABLE".  I still have about half a bottle left.. I want to pour them down the drain.

Maybe I should PIF it out with other items that fell out of rotation.

53 760
 08-04-2015, 04:56 PM
User Info
Let's see first it was razors, Gillette slim,feather popular,de89,super speed,fatip,HTGAM symmetry, tech,another slim,merker 37c,39c,r41,futur,progress,,ikon tech,more,gillettes,ikon slant,matador toro mastiff, I'm forgetting something..

Then it went to soaps(no way I'm naming them all),then blades ,then back to soaps .

I have 2 boar brushes ,4synthetics and 2 badgers and I'm done with those.

I have a couple colognes I wear and not wanting to change them. Aftershaves alum and trumpers skin food is good for me.

3 1,356
 08-04-2015, 04:58 PM
User Info
(08-04-2015, 04:56 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Let's see first it was razors, Gillette slim,feather popular,de89,super speed,fatip,HTGAM symmetry, tech,another slim,merker 37c,39c,r41,futur,progress,,ikon tech,more,gillettes,ikon slant,matador toro mastiff, I'm forgetting something..

Then it went to soaps(no way I'm naming them all),then blades ,then back to soaps .

I have 2 boar brushes ,4synthetics and 2 badgers and I'm done with those.

I have a couple colognes I wear and not wanting to change them. Aftershaves alum and trumpers skin food is good for me.

pretty extensive list of razors.  I thought I was going overboard, but I am sure there are ton of people here with a page long list of razors in possession..I hope...

53 760
 08-04-2015, 05:01 PM
User Info
Shaving is by far my cheapest hobby so I get a pass from the Mrs. She knows if she says something I'll be at the gun store later on..not to get ammo to shoot her or anything like that but she keeps me happy to keep me away from the gun store.

3 1,356
 08-04-2015, 05:05 PM
User Info
(08-04-2015, 04:56 PM)parachutefactory Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 04:53 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Aftershave splashes
Soaps
Aftershave splashes

jeez...do you get to use all of them? or do they just fall out of rotation?
I first started out with cheap old spice that's widely available.  I deemed them to be okay, only until I tried other nice splashes like fine, razorock lines.
Old spice is almost nauseating now I had to add a lot of menthol crystals to make it "USABLE".  I still have about half a bottle left.. I want to pour them down the drain.

Maybe I should PIF it out with other items that fell out of rotation.

I make it a point to use everything. Obviously it takes a bit to go through the splashes in rotation lol. Its rare if I use the same one 2days in a row. If I get one and don't like it it's gone. No sense In keeping if I'm not going to use it!

147 3,464
 08-04-2015, 05:08 PM
User Info
Soaps, soaps, and more soaps.

Then came the aftershaves. So many aftershaves

Next was brushes, i bought two last week

this week i bought i new razor...and so it begins

0 517
 08-04-2015, 05:09 PM
User Info
(08-04-2015, 05:01 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Shaving is by far my cheapest hobby so I get a pass from the Mrs. She knows if she says something I'll be at the gun store later on..not to get ammo to shoot her or anything like that but she keeps me happy to keep me away from the gun store.

I agree it is a cheaper than many other hobbies, but in the eyes of the Mrs, I am nuts, collecting all these razors, blades, soaps and splashes.
I even made a wall hanging shelves to hold blade towers, razors, and aftershaves.

Guess what I needed to make those shelves.  
Tools!!  I was never into tools and only tool I had was a set of screwdrivers.

This hobby made me become a hobbyist carpenter as well.

53 760
 08-04-2015, 05:10 PM
User Info
(08-04-2015, 05:08 PM)DamnitGoose Wrote: Soaps, soaps, and more soaps.

Then came the aftershaves. So many aftershaves

Next was brushes, i bought two last week

this week i bought i new razor...and so it begins

that's pretty bad.. you need a counseling Wink

53 760
 08-04-2015, 05:11 PM
User Info
(08-04-2015, 05:09 PM)parachutefactory Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 05:01 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Shaving is by far my cheapest hobby so I get a pass from the Mrs. She knows if she says something I'll be at the gun store later on..not to get ammo to shoot her or anything like that but she keeps me happy to keep me away from the gun store.

I agree it is a cheaper than many other hobbies, but in the eyes of the Mrs, I am nuts, collecting all these razors, blades, soaps and splashes.
I even made a wall hanging shelves to hold blade towers, razors, and aftershaves.

One can never have enough tools,word to the wise get a dremel, it can do anything. OK do people wear aftershaves in place of cologne? Or wear both? I thought after shave was just to help the face after the shave.

3 1,356
 08-04-2015, 05:13 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
I would have to go with

RAD 
SBAD
SRAD

currently suffering for a second round of SBAD

3 516
 08-04-2015, 05:24 PM
User Info
(08-04-2015, 05:11 PM)Otis375 Wrote:

One can never have enough tools,word to the wise get a dremel, it can do anything. OK do people wear aftershaves in place of cologne? Or wear both? I thought after shave was just to help the face after the shave.

that's a good question and I think aftershaves can be used as scent by ones who don't like strong smell lingering for too long.
I apply fine aftershaves a couple of times during the day.  Maybe a spritz or two every 4 hours or so.  It's very refreshing but not too strong.
Cologne can be too strong for my work place, so I can never use that, even one spray.

I actually got a cheap dremel+accessory kit, 18v drill/driver, table saw, handsaw etc, etc.  It ain't a hobby anymore. I keep making random stuff at home.
Wifey's not too happy.

53 760
 08-04-2015, 05:25 PM
User Info
(08-04-2015, 05:13 PM)DLP Wrote: I would have to go with

RAD 
SBAD
SRAD

what's SRAD? straight razor?

53 760
 08-04-2015, 05:28 PM
User Info
Ha I do know u love ur razors!!

For me it started with vintage razors, soaps and splashes. I wanted multiples of everything!! And still have a lot of them. A lot have been pifd out or sold. But have at least 2 of everything with the exception of modern razors.

Then I started dabbling in brushes. Had several made by artisans til I figured what I "liked". I have owned a lot and sold/traded a lot. I'm pretty picky.

Blades I have always bought a lot of. There r several that I like and I have at least 100 of all. Some in the 500 range. But I have sent a lot out as well.

Now when a new razor that interests me comes out I acquire one if possible. I will say that the ones I want r few and far between now tho. I have been fortunate enough to buy all that interest me tho. Some caught my attention but not enough to buy.

I love all things handles. I'm always interested in them but am picky about those as well so I pass on a lot.

Brushes r my weakness. I always wanna narrow them down and do to an extent then I buy more! Not sure if I will ever stop.

My soaps and splashes has really slowed down. I'm down to maybe 60+ of each and I don't buy nearly as often now.

That about sums it up

82 2,180
 08-04-2015, 05:29 PM
User Info
Yea I'm not one of those guys you can smell after they left 10 minutes after they leave, I wear D&G light blue, and very sexy for men its really subtle.

As far as building things you have no idea I had to build a shed for all my junk, I love welding fornsome reason,and carpentry. Went to Lowes and looked at those wooden play things they have for kids ,hecl with the price though I built me own... I gotta have back and neck andbknee surgery now and its driving me crazy not being able to do things.

3 1,356
 08-04-2015, 05:39 PM
User Info
(08-04-2015, 05:11 PM)Otis375 Wrote:

I love my tools but have been told by my father not to buy any more or he will kick my tail. Says all of his will be mine so save my money. I still sneak a good deal when I see one lol. Have a couple a dremels so +1 on those. 

I wear my splashes in place of cologne. Most last as long as prefer and none overwhelm a room etc. I used to buy colognes but never made it through a bottle before I got tired of it or whatever. Does not seem to be an issue with the splashes.

147 3,464
 08-04-2015, 05:41 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
(08-04-2015, 05:25 PM)parachutefactory Wrote:

RAD 
SBAD
SRAD

Yep... Shy 

Trying to avoid getting into honing the razors.

3 516
 08-04-2015, 05:47 PM
User Info
(08-04-2015, 05:28 PM)Skinny Rogers Wrote: Ha I do know u love ur razors!!

For me it started with vintage razors, soaps and splashes.  I wanted multiples of everything!!  And still have a lot of them. A lot have been pifd out or sold. But have at least 2 of everything with the exception of modern razors.

Then I started dabbling in brushes. Had several made by artisans til I figured what I "liked". I have owned a lot and sold/traded a lot. I'm pretty picky.

Blades I have always bought a lot of. There r several that I like and I have at least 100 of all. Some in the 500 range. But I have sent a lot out as well.

Now when a new razor that interests me comes out I acquire one if possible. I will say that the ones I want r few and far between now tho. I have been fortunate enough to buy all that interest me tho. Some caught my attention but not enough to buy.

I love all things handles. I'm always interested in them but am picky about those as well so I pass on a lot.

Brushes r my weakness. I always wanna narrow them down and do to an extent then I buy more!  Not sure if I will ever stop.

My soaps and splashes has really slowed down. I'm down to maybe 60+ of each and I don't buy nearly as often now.

That about sums it up

sounds like pretty costly adventure!
I shouldn't say this, but I can't really see myself acquiring all these nice badger brushes costing upwards of $100 or even $200+.
Hopefully I can still say this in a few years.

53 760
 08-04-2015, 05:49 PM
User Info
(08-04-2015, 05:41 PM)DLP Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 05:25 PM)parachutefactory Wrote:

RAD 
SBAD
SRAD

Yep... Shy 

Trying to avoid getting into honing the razors.
I toyed the idea of getting a straight or two, but the maintenance part turned me off.  That's a good thing.  I don't need more expenditures!

53 760