08-05-2015, 11:35 AM
User Info
http://www.wired.com/2015/08/parents-dec...-will-live

Apparently this hitchhiking robot has traveled in Canada and Europe without incident until someone in Philly decides to destroy it for no reason. I have a feeling it was on of those frat boys. For sure a male of the species.

18 713
 08-05-2015, 11:45 AM
User Info
Overreaction to the latest Terminator movie?

29 1,776
 08-05-2015, 01:10 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
That's the buzz in Canada. Why did some Yankee destroy hitchbot hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 227
 08-05-2015, 01:24 PM
User Info
It has been a trending topic... Why is this news though? Still sad that some idiot decides to destroy property for no reason. You can't leave even the most insignificant thing out in your backyard without someone stealing it or destroying it. I've had a rusty table in my backyard stolen. A kiddie pool destroyed. I live among savages. There is a lot of drug usage in America too so I wouldn't discount that either.

18 713
 08-06-2015, 01:52 PM
User Info
Was it harvested for copper or rare metals? I wonder if it was vandalism or theft. The photos I saw showed it was dismembered but I couldn't tell if parts were also missing.

2 106
 08-06-2015, 02:02 PM
User Info
(08-06-2015, 01:52 PM)Deckma Wrote: Was it harvested for copper or rare metals? I wonder if it was vandalism or theft. The photos I saw showed it was dismembered but I couldn't tell if parts were also missing.

It wasn't an actual robot. It didn't move. The rest of the body was just plastic and stuff to give it an anthropomorphized appearance.

18 713
 08-06-2015, 02:09 PM
User Info
This started in my hometown in Massachusetts!! PHILADELPHIA *Shakes Fist* !!!!!!!!!!

0 517
 08-06-2015, 05:08 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Seems a bit like a plasticized version of a note in a bottle, some make it somewhere, most don't.    Why the "Ignant"  newsies choose to publicize that a hunk of plastic went missing, or met an untimely end,  is beyond me, as is why anyone would give a rat's behind.   Hopefully it was recycled into something truly useful, as opposed to sending another bit of trash out hitchhiking.

43 461
 08-06-2015, 05:10 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
Typical response. Let me guess where you're from.

3 227
 08-06-2015, 05:28 PM
User Info
It was trash.

18 586
 08-06-2015, 05:30 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
'Merica

3 227
 08-06-2015, 06:18 PM
User Info
(08-06-2015, 05:08 PM)garyg Wrote: Seems a bit like a plasticized version of a note in a bottle, some make it somewhere, most don't.    Why the "Ignant"  newsies choose to publicize that a hunk of plastic went missing, or met an untimely end,  is beyond me, as is why anyone would give a rat's behind.   Hopefully it was recycled into something truly useful, as opposed to sending another bit of trash out hitchhiking.

It was a research project. It is admittedly being thrown way out of proportion. But how is it different if a hunk of metal, say your car, went missing? Who would give a rat's behind about your car being destroyed? I wouldn't, so I guess that gives me the right to destroy what does not belong to me? Sociopathy...

18 713
 08-06-2015, 06:32 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Ok, if I sent my car out on the road without a pilot, I'd not expect anyone would give it as news when it didn't meet a good end.  

Sorry but cutesy-fartsy doesn't give a pile of plastic protected status.  Wrong to bust it up?  Surely.  Newsworthy, come on, more people have been killed since the twit broke the story skyped it.  No stories about them?

g
"It Takes a Twit to Raise a Tweet"

43 461
 08-06-2015, 09:29 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-06-2015, 05:10 PM)Scoti Wrote: Typical response. Let me guess where you're from.

(08-06-2015, 05:30 PM)Scoti Wrote: 'Merica

This kind of response is inappropriate and has no place here.

60 843
 08-06-2015, 10:59 PM
User Info
(08-06-2015, 06:32 PM)garyg Wrote:  Surely.  Newsworthy, come on, more people have been killed since the twit broke the story skyped it.  No stories about them?

g
"It Takes a Twit to Raise a Tweet"

Must be one of those distraction stories they use. It is already common to have fake news as propaganda pieces. 

Could just be one of those comic relief stories. Watching nothing but evil can be stressful on viewers.

18 713
 08-07-2015, 12:04 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(08-06-2015, 09:29 PM)greyhawk Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 05:10 PM)Scoti Wrote: Typical response. Let me guess where you're from.

(08-06-2015, 05:30 PM)Scoti Wrote: 'Merica

This kind of response is inappropriate and has no place here.

I think that comment is as appropriate here as the other comments in this thread trash talking the reporting of the harmless social experiment's demise in the US. That is after surviving in assorted other countries. It may make you wonder or not why it happened in the US and not the other countries. Personally, I wouldn't draw any hard and fast conclusions from the incident but it just does not look good.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-07-2015, 01:06 AM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
Unfortunately greyhawk Freedom of speech is a real thing.That is a right I have and can exercise it's use if I so choose. A right my forefathers fought to protect. Just because I voice an opinion you don't particularly like doesn't make it inappropriate and have no place here.

Sure it was an social experiment, maybe not the greatest thing in the world but it passed unharmed through different countries and came to an end in America. There is no denying that. It may have been a piece of junk to you but I'm sure you've heard the saying one mans trash is another mans treasure.

I'll agree with bob as it doesn't look good. I like my brothers to the south so don't think I'm out bashing your homeland because I'm not.

3 227
 08-07-2015, 08:13 AM
User Info
(08-07-2015, 01:06 AM)Scoti Wrote: Unfortunately greyhawk Freedom of speech is a real thing.That is a right I have and can exercise it's use if I so choose.  A right my forefathers fought to protect. Just because I voice an opinion you don't particularly like doesn't make it inappropriate and have no place here.

Sure it was an social experiment, maybe not the greatest thing in the world but it passed unharmed through different countries and came to an end in America. There is no denying that. It may have been a piece of junk to you but I'm sure you've heard the saying one mans trash is another mans treasure.

I'll agree with bob as it doesn't look good. I like my brothers to the south so don't think I'm out bashing your homeland because I'm not.

This is a private commercial forum.

18 713
 08-07-2015, 08:21 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(08-07-2015, 08:13 AM)fram773 Wrote:
(08-07-2015, 01:06 AM)Scoti Wrote: Unfortunately greyhawk Freedom of speech is a real thing.That is a right I have and can exercise it's use if I so choose.  A right my forefathers fought to protect. Just because I voice an opinion you don't particularly like doesn't make it inappropriate and have no place here.

Then let the moderators decide what is or isn't appropriate and action it accordingly if necessary.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-07-2015, 08:33 AM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
(08-07-2015, 08:13 AM)fram773 Wrote:

Good. Let a mod deal with it then if it's an issue. Its for them to decide.

3 227