08-05-2015, 09:34 PM
  • N8Julo43
  • Red Whisker Wrangler
  • Mizzou-RAH, USA
User Info
Hey guys,

I just received a brand new Ralf Aust 5/8 today. After my first shave, I am really impressed by the razor. The only question I have is that after cleaning up the blade post shave, I noticed 3 black spots close to the edge. They almost look like a tacky sticker residue or something, but a cloth or TP doesn't seem to be able to wipe it off. Any ideas on what these could be? I tried to get the best picture I could of the marks. 

[Image: ZkelIRH.jpg]

Thank you!

26 261
 08-05-2015, 11:29 PM
User Info
They are oxidized watermarks from not drying and storing the razor correctly I cannot see it being anything else personally.

11 1,945
 08-06-2015, 12:22 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yes, I'd go along with Jamie's answer.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-06-2015, 12:36 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Sometimes we just have to live with those spots, sometimes Maas Polish and a q-tip can remove them.

15 541
 08-06-2015, 02:21 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Rust. 

Metal polish and a Qtip would get it out. Use very little a stay away from the edge. I have two Austs that do the same. I just leave them until it's time for a touch up, then polish them out before honing.

9 462
 08-06-2015, 03:02 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yes, those marks can be fixed with with a little metal polish exercising caution because they are so close to the bevel/edge. 

I think it is more important to concentrate on proper drying and storage to prevent it in the first place. Things like not storing your SRs in the bathroom, wiping down the blade and between the scales and letting them air dry in the open position before putting them away. There are other things you can do if you live in a high humidity environment like oiling the blades before storage, placing desiccant packs in storage containers and in extreme cases building a dry box for storage.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-06-2015, 04:05 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

I agree with you about those being water spots. A little Maas compound and a dry cloth should take care of them. Sometimes I get them, too, despite drying my blades religiously. I think Satan pees in the water here.

154 3,134
 08-06-2015, 04:48 AM
  • N8Julo43
  • Red Whisker Wrangler
  • Mizzou-RAH, USA
User Info
Thank you, guys! I was just thrown off a bit since the razor was brand new. However, it was honed by the vendor, so I understand it was exposed to water before even getting to me. I was just making sure it wasn't something I needed to contact them about to possibly exchange the razor.

26 261
 08-06-2015, 07:09 AM
User Info
rust never sleeps; impossible for ANY vendor to give 100% assurance that the oxidation does not start between they and you presuming you insist, as do most, that the vendors remove the factory oils and expose to honing (and therefore, very likely, to water)

A few pinches with a clean old piece of underwear and some Flitz or Maas and you're good as new, definitely not worthy of sending back in my opinion.   

Promptly use that sleeve below the razor in the image after each use and this will not happen again anywhere this side of a sailboat.  I'm not even thorough in my drying anymore, sleeve-dependent at ~70% relative humidity norms in my home, I just rinse, blast a few times with a blower brush to eliminate any standing water I should see, run on the linen of the strop a bit and into the sleeve it immediately goes - and that slacker's approach, backed of course by the rust sleeve, has kept all oxidation at bay for six years and counting.

0 72
 08-06-2015, 07:57 AM
  • N8Julo43
  • Red Whisker Wrangler
  • Mizzou-RAH, USA
User Info
Sounds great! Yeah, I wasn't trying to contact the vendor if it was a common occurrence. This is only my second straight, so I am getting used to what is typical and what should be worried about. I'm super happy with it and will definitely take some metal polish to it to see if that helps any. Even if they stay, this blade is far too functional for me to get caught up on some inevitable blemishes on the blade.

26 261
 08-06-2015, 09:45 AM
User Info
Just be careful with the polish - you don't want to get it on the edge (it will dull the razor) and you also don't want to get it on the printed 'wash' on the blade, as that will be removed by polish.

37 1,743
 08-07-2015, 12:59 AM
User Info
i got waterspots on one of my new razors as well. I just left it there. to be fair, it is a dovo bismark and i did not want to take the chance of removing the gold engraving. i actually do keep it in a silicone sleave. no idea how it got waterspots but it is not getting worst so i just live with it.

0 5
 08-07-2015, 02:04 AM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I think it adds character the water spots that is.

Nothing like an old blade with a few water spots and patina. Beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 227
 08-07-2015, 02:54 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
I have been very satisfied with mine. The steel used will corrode if not properly cared for. I dip the blade in a mix of 190 Vodka with some mineral oil in it. Then I wipe the blade down. The akly soaks up water and dries the blade the mineral oil adds a coat of protection. I keep the mix in a ketchup type clear squeeze bottle and dip rather than drip.
Everyone has a different method and all have differing shave cave climates.
~Richard

8 1,194
 08-07-2015, 03:03 PM
User Info
If you can get your hands on some flitz IMO its the best metal paoloshbive ever used. Brasso is 2nd but its not a close second at all IMO.

3 1,356
 08-13-2015, 11:35 AM
User Info
I recommend holding off on removing the spots until the blade needs to be honed.  Using metal polish around the bevel will dull it and the blade will most likely need to be honed.

6 290
 08-15-2015, 06:55 AM
User Info
(08-06-2015, 09:45 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Just be careful with the polish - you don't want to get it on the edge (it will dull the razor) and you also don't want to get it on the printed 'wash' on the blade, as that will be removed by polish.

indeed, any Flitz on that writing and you'll know it was there forever.  Coticules tend to leave some leftover random striations that indicate they were once on a razor & when we sell something with that sort of writing inlay it is a delicate balancing act trying to gently polish away and swirls on the spine with the Flitz.

0 72